Home

Back in time in Alabama

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 07:38 PM

Just travelled thru SE Alabama on way to NTA in Springfield. Been a while since I drove from Eufaula to Montgomery, AL. Dang that was like driving thru a time warp...going back 50 years.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 07:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 08:08 PM

got one otw to Valdosta if you're traveling on I-75 south
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 08:08 PM

I drove on some two lane highway through central Florida once. About a 1/2 hour past tee city it felt like it was the 1920s. Didn't look like anything got updated. Surprised to see tiny little cinder block homes not much bigger than a chicknn coop with people sitting on the stoop in the heat of the day. Wouldn't doubt it if they lacked AC or even electricity.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by zoozoo400
got one otw to Valdosta if you're traveling on I-75 south

That flag is on I-65 between Montgomery and Birmingham.

But the flag isnt what I was referring to when I said it was like going back in time. It was the rural, run-down stretch between Eufaula and Montgomery.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 09:12 PM

[Linked Image]
More modern...Birmingham skyline...
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 09:38 PM

I always drive around Birmingham when we head to the Redneck a Riviera. I’ve seen that big flag several times. You going to go West in Tennessee on I 40?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 09:59 PM

I'm a bit north of you Swamp Wolf. I stopped for the night in Cookeville, TN. I'll finish the trip tomorrow. This is about half way - 507 miles.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 10:45 PM

Should divert through my old home town of Double Springs, they just got a brand new HUGE rebel flag up, lol.

You go west on I 22 to Memphis out of Bham your going right by my house, safe travels.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
[Linked Image]
More modern...Birmingham skyline...

My home county, don't claim the city though. My stomping grounds are in the Bessemer cutoff about forty miles west.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:16 PM

Darn yall could have bedded down at my house, no one here but me and the dogs.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
I always drive around Birmingham when we head to the Redneck a Riviera. I’ve seen that big flag several times. You going to go West in Tennessee on I 40?

We're almost to Memphis. Gonna bed down somewhere in Arkansas for the night.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I'm a bit north of you Swamp Wolf. I stopped for the night in Cookeville, TN. I'll finish the trip tomorrow. This is about half way - 507 miles.

I'm sure we'll see you there Paul. Drive safe!

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Should divert through my old home town of Double Springs, they just got a brand new HUGE rebel flag up, lol.

You go west on I 22 to Memphis out of Bham your going right by my house, safe travels.

We had to have came right by you JTrap! Almost to Memphis now via I-22.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Riverotter2
Darn yall could have bedded down at my house, no one here but me and the dogs.

Too late 4 us to cash in on that offer. Thanks tho!

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:46 PM

[Linked Image]
Took a pic of the big cross near Jasper, Alabama. That's near you JTrap?

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/08/19 11:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Hmmm, I know Jasper and Walker county not sure if that cross is a true reflection.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
[Linked Image]

Hmmm, I know Jasper and Walker county not sure if that cross is a true reflection.

Lol....

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 12:17 AM

Going out of Tennessee on I-55 towards Jonesboro, Arkansas...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 12:26 AM

Jonesboro ain't a bad place to bed down for the night. Hope to meet you at the convention. Want to pick your brain on any do's and dont's when it comes to a Bridger No. 2 Dogless. Never used dogless traps before and thinking of acquiring some.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton
Jonesboro ain't a bad place to bed down for the night. Hope to meet you at the convention. Want to pick your brain on any do's and dont's when it comes to a Bridger No. 2 Dogless. Never used dogless traps before and thinking of acquiring some.

Thanks for info. Wasnt sure about Jonesboro but that is home for tonight..we are 45 min out. Look forward to meeting you. I'll pm you my number so we can meet.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 12:59 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Motel...here we come 4 the night! 40 more min to Jonesboro, Arkansas.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:01 AM

Why heck Swamp Wolf, If you would have came just a few miles farther you could have seen the northernmost bastion of Confederate defenses...Western Kentucky, the Confederate side of the Bluegrass.

"Oh if you only knew" what my family did back then, Lol....Enjoy the convention!

[Linked Image]

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Why heck Swamp Wolf, If you would have came just a few miles farther you could have seen the northernmost bastion of Confederate defenses...Western Kentucky, the Confederate side of the Bluegrass.

"Oh if you only knew" what my family did back then, Lol....Enjoy the convention!

[Linked Image]

Yeah....on the family history. There was at least one Confederate colonel in my past.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:36 AM

Yep Jasper isn't far from me, exit 39 on I 22 is where I live, Eldridge exit.

Warrior they got a new sheriff in Walker county, he's cleaning up the place, lol.
Now if we could get as many dentist office's as dollar generals in the county
we would be making some REAL progress, lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:42 AM

Warrior they got a new sheriff in Walker county, he's cleaning up the place, lol.

Y'all had the Dollar General invasion too?
Big news here when we got one in our little old hick town. Lol.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:44 AM

Jtrap....maybe you aught to up and quit trapping and open the first Dollar Dentist....I figure all a man would need to get started is a bottle of whiskey and an s-hook tool

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:46 AM

....maybe some JB-weld

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:51 AM

Long overdue for a good clean up. Has he gotten to Wesley's Booby Trap yet? For those who don't know it's as bad as it sounds. LOL

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 01:59 AM

...should have saved your motel money and just bought a little sack of amphetamine and drove straight on through Swampwolf...imagine all the competition has got the price down low lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:04 AM

Don't be bringing up Wesley's Booby Trap, dern Savell will be wondering over here to check it out, start talking about how big and bad TX is and get kilt, lol.

Them ol gals went on strike a few years ago, can't remember what their demands were, better 'working conditions' perhaps? lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
...should have saved your motel money and just bought a little sack of amphetamine and drove straight on through Swampwolf...imagine all the competition has got the price down low lol

No money spent on motels . My son has hundreds of thousands of motel points due to working out of town and staying in dozens of motels over past few years.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:16 AM

....I may ride over there anyway Jtrap...as soon as a motion to return property is submitted in the county north of me to get my side arm back! Liable to ride in there and shoot up the roof of that boobytrap...load all those gals in the back of the truck....hull out the nearest dollar general and become an entrepreneur ! Lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:18 AM

That would be way to easy to find in Jonesboro, AR. or even in the greater 4 state area if in a pinch....Could have stayed up for the whole convention, and the trip back home, and I do mean trip, . Lol.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:22 AM

Fellers, I have never been to the deep south but would like to see it one day. I don't give a happy G-Dam about the Civil War really.
Would a northern guy get lynched down in that country or would a fine upstanding fellow such as myself be able to get along?
I know there are online programs to learn foreign languages and I would enroll in one to be able to understand ya'll.
I actually shot the breeze with Jtrapper for a short time in Owatonna MN. at a hotel but I don't think we understood each other,
but it was pretty early in the morning.

Zim

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:23 AM

Lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:27 AM

....you’ll be fine Zim the phase of reconstruction where about everyone gets addicted to zanex, malt liquor, and dollar general microwaveable corndogs seems to have been successful

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
Fellers, I have never been to the deep south but would like to see it one day. I don't give a happy G-Dam about the Civil War really.
Would a northern guy get lynched down in that country or would a fine upstanding fellow such as myself be able to get along?
I know there are online programs to learn foreign languages and I would enroll in one to be able to understand ya'll.
I actually shot the breeze with Jtrapper for a short time in Owatonna MN. at a hotel but I don't think we understood each other,

Zim

You'd be more than welcome and invited to make yourself to home. We pride ourselves on hospitality and would be ashamed to turn away a stranger even if they do talk funny. Just don't bring up the recent unpleasantness and we'll get along just fine.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:29 AM

....I may ride over there anyway Jtrap...as soon as a motion to return property is submitted in the county north of me to get my side arm back! Liable to ride in there and shoot up the roof of that boobytrap...load all those gals in the back of the truck....hull out the nearest dollar general and become an entrepreneur ! Lol

You only got 1 side arm? Lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:32 AM

....yessir...and the nicest tooled leather holster you’ve ever seen....I miss them both dearly lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

Zim,

You would have no problems at all, just like I don't when I go up North...We just like to cut up and rub it in here on TrapperMan sometimes.

Besides, so much of the south has moved north, and vice versa it's pretty well blurred the lines anyhow.

As long as a person is respectful (laughing to yourself over the way we talk is okay though) you can get along pretty much anywhere.....Just be ready for some ribbing, Lol.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:41 AM

...speak for yourself ...if I catch zim down here I’m takin him on a forced camp out lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:43 AM

...once I get my sidearm back... those Wisconsin pollocks grow fairly large from what I’ve seen

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:44 AM

To quote a somewhat famous song "we'll go honky tonkin and have a good time"
I do not have a hot rod Ford but a brand new Dodge Ram.
And I'm German ya Philistine.

Zim

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:48 AM

...speak for yourself ...if I catch zim down here I’m takin him on a forced camp out lol

Southern Hospitality Savell, not Southern Hospital, lol.....Be gentle, he's on our side.... sorta.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:54 AM

In the theme of the thread, back in time. If it was honky tonkin' you want you should've visited that Walker county line back about thirty year ago. There's things I could tell you but I'm still waiting on the statute of limitations to run out. LOL

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:54 AM

....I’m sorry, the devil made me say that ..I’d take zim on a consensual camping trip as long as he signed a waiver

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:55 AM

Lol!!

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:56 AM

Wave bye bye?

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 02:56 AM

In the theme of the thread, back in time. If it was honky tonkin' you want you should've visited that Walker county line back about thirty year ago. There's things I could tell you but I'm still waiting on the statute of limitations to run out. LOL

...that’s what I’m talking about lol

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 03:17 AM

Will there be banjo music on this here camping trip and will it involve any canoeing?
I ain't signing no waiver.

Zim

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 03:20 AM

Bring your bow and arrow just in case.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 03:53 AM

Walker co ain't change much, reckon it never will.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Riverotter2

Walker co ain't change much, reckon it never will.

It's inbred into them, I guess.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

Y'all had the Dollar General invasion too?
Big news here when we got one in our little old hick town. Lol.

Geeeeeez, the Brand New Dollar General is the ONLY thing Jtrapper's been posting on FB for the past 4 months. Be glad when it finally ends up being old news, lol.
Posted By: petey

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 06:10 AM

[Linked Image]

You were in his back door, it’s Monday, aka visiting day at the Walker County Jail, ya shoulda stopped and said hey to Jackie while you were that close!! Ya might coulda carried him a DG gift card for when he gets out.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 10:29 AM

grin
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 10:47 AM

had to fly to Florida and drive my grandparents back to PA.they had a new 87 top heavy blazer and on the day i had to look around,i see a dillo and think its like a possum and hit it.bet its still as close as i've come to rolling a vehicle.

fortunately i didn't leave anything down there so have never had to go back.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
had to fly to Florida and drive my grandparents back to PA.they had a new 87 top heavy blazer and on the day i had to look around,i see a dillo and think its like a possum and hit it.bet its still as close as i've come to rolling a vehicle.

fortunately i didn't leave anything down there so have never had to go back.

So you're saying you ate the road killed dillo? whistle

Keith

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

If you're coming down here any time soon, you better bring your short britches cause it's hot!! Right now it's 95 with a 105 heat index.

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 07:39 PM

I hear Pickens County is in the market for a new sheriff as well.

My in-laws live just north of Winfield. We went up there two weekends ago, and it was the first time I'd seen the now world famous Eldridge Dollar General. It's a big deal up in those parts! We also had to make our lunch stop at Cedar Landing. My little boy is a hit with the waitresses in there.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Back in time in Alabama - 07/09/19 08:59 PM

JTrapper - you live just up just up 118 from my mom - she lives in the train wreck known as Carbon Hill... Is the Boobytrap still open? Don't remember seeing it last time I was down there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums