Home

Tried a Fish Boil

Posted By: Wallace

Tried a Fish Boil - 07/10/19 12:35 AM

After reading the fish boil thread the other day i thought I'd try it out. I used a large catfish fillet and salted water. I chunked up the fillet before boiling. It had a texture like lobster so i used melted butter and sprinkled with lemon pepper. It was great! My picky kid ate a bowl full. I can see how someone could feed alot of people with very little work.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Tried a Fish Boil - 07/10/19 12:42 AM

Nice, now try it with northern and you will really think it's
Something.
Posted By: charles

Re: Tried a Fish Boil - 07/10/19 02:02 AM

some coastal NC oldtimers will poach fish, cut up raw onions to mix with it, and pour pork meat grease on it. It is actually good. I had it with red drum.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Tried a Fish Boil - 07/11/19 09:23 PM

I still remember the smell of my great grandparents house when we visited. Boiling was the only way they cooked their fish. Tastes good but the smell NEVER leaves. Couldn't eat the fish from a traditional Michigan fish boil though the salt was overwhelming. Worse than beluga caviar.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Tried a Fish Boil - 07/11/19 11:12 PM

I live in an area where commercial fishing is a way of life and goes way back,things like fish boils were common using whitefish.I always heard about how great they were,the special spices that were used,blah blah blah.Apparently its an acquired taste,it looked more like a fish soup.One time was enough for me.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Tried a Fish Boil - 07/12/19 03:56 AM

I have only done 2-3 of them and they worked well. I did mine on an older Weber grill with a large pot. I put the fish in a separate mesh bag and the potatoes, onions and carrots in a separate mesh bag. Due to by BP concerns I don't put salt in the mix nor did we use near the butter that we have had when we do them in the restaurants etc. My first fish were pike and the last couple were panfish mixes.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums