Home

First Four Fish

Posted By: Gulo

First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:18 AM

Just made another run over to the Snake River Canyon, mainly for catfish. These were the first 4 fish I caught. You all know the western warm-water species? What are they?

[Linked Image]

To give you a hint on sizes, the upper left-hand fish was 13", just barely legal.

Jack
Posted By: Boco

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:24 AM

Clockwise from top left
Largemouth bass,crappie,catfish,whitefish.

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:28 AM

Boco, Boco, Boco...

We have 4 species of catfish in Spudaho. Which one is it, man? Oh, and you're incorrect on the other three species.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:29 AM

Clockwise from top left
Smallmouth,bluegill,channel cat,yellow perch
Posted By: 10bands

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:31 AM

smallmouth bass, bluegill, channel cat and squawfish(aka northern pikeminnow)

What did I win?

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:33 AM

Not a perch I should have looked closer. I was thinking game fish.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:36 AM

The smallmouth bass and bluegill are both males. Do I get extra credit?

Keith

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:41 AM

Gulo
Is the pike minnow considered a warm water species? It is native and I didn't think there was any native warm water fish, up here it is in the coldest of water
Posted By: Sharon

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:41 AM

grin

What are they ???? Eatin fishes !!! wink
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:44 AM

10bands has it correct. What do you do with those bony squawfish Jack?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:47 AM

Smallmouth Bass, Bluegill, Channel Catfish, and Small Buffalo.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:53 AM

So far they look very much like sashimi .... stop babbling and get some butter into a skillet.

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:53 AM

10bands is the clear winner, but Sundance gets an A as well. KeithC gets an A+. Also, Sundance, I suspect you are correct in that the northern pikeminnow (I still prefer squawfish), should not be considered a warm-water fish. They are a cyprinid (minnow family) so they are bony, but growing up, I ate plenty of them. Yes, the general populace considers them a trashfish, but filleted and run through a meat grinder, they make some of the best fish cakes you can imagine. A couple hours into the gig, I had a tussle with a bugle-mouthed bass as well (photo soon), and an 11-pound flathead cat (no photos, sorry). Usually, my trips over there result in crappie, rainbows, bullheads, and a metric bucket-load of mud-bugs. Not so, this trip with the warmer water.

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:56 AM

Here's the bugle-mouthed bass (aka Cyprinus carpio).
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 10bands
smallmouth bass, bluegill, channel cat and squawfish(aka northern pikeminnow)

What did I win?

Winner
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Here's the bugle-mouthed bass (aka Cyprinus carpio).
[Linked Image]

Looks like a carp. grin

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 02:05 AM

Come on, Idaho doesn't have fish as common as carp. We only have high quality/cold water trophy fish. You obviously haven't watched many fishing shows. grin

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 02:22 AM

Sundance - Well spoken, Sir!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 02:25 AM

That's a pretty sweet mixed bag, there. I'm going to have to try the meat grinder, fish cake thing. The one I tried eating as a teenage was so bony I finally gave up.

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 02:32 AM

My brothers father in law used to can anything to bony to fry,add enough garlic and pickling spices and everything is edible. He made some mean sandwiches.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 03:18 AM

My grandpa never threw back a squawfish but he grew up in South Dakota on a farm during the Depression and dust bowl so turning down something edible just wasn't a thing for him. He didn't throw out an apple core either he ate it seeds and all.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 12:05 PM

reminds me of my chicken eating in Trinidad years ago......they chopped up whole chickens and ate them.......bones and all........even ate the feet, I passed on those

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 02:55 PM

My grandma made fried chicken feet, not much there but we kids fought over them.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 05:23 PM

Chicken feet are a big treat here in a farmhouse. They boil them to peel off the outer skin and then go at it.

A lot of whitefish have been eaten by folks, such as me, but they were also a common pig food for farmers in the west who could net them easily on the big rivers during the fall spawning runs. Maybe in the lakes too, but I don't know.

Nice smallie by the way, and the bluegill is a good one too.

Pete
Posted By: Drakej

Re: First Four Fish - 07/11/19 09:12 PM

Gulo, your last pic shows the makings for my favorite grilled carp recipe - Carp(you can use these letters to spell something else) on a plank. Slit the carp every one inch and wash with a smoke marinade as you dry smoke it to perfection. Then throw away the fish and eat the plank, lol. Actually smoked carp is delicious, I'm just too spoiled on MN walleyes.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums