Home

Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline?

Posted By: Hitman_P_C

Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 02:58 PM

Living in Oklahoma and with a Max of 20 traps allowed, your not running much of a longline.

Any recommendations for a guy looking for a place to go do this?

I'm in the middle of the country, so can pretty much go wherever I want in the States in just a day or 2.

Thank you for any input!
Posted By: kansaskoons

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 04:21 PM

Wyoming.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 04:23 PM

You can come to Alabama and run 150 coyote traps a day
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 04:38 PM

Any state that doesn't have check laws...
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by grumley701

Plus a lot of public land that allows you to trap on. Unless, you have a lot of time to get private permission. I noticed that non-residents are allowed to use an unlimited number of traps in Oklahoma but residents only 20 traps?
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 06:33 PM

Utah is a good choice. No trap number restrictions here

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/15/19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by grumley701

Great point, your right there
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 12:55 AM

For a west coast state, Oregon actually has some decent trapping laws and quite a bit of public ground. however there are plenty of anti's around even in the hunting community.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 02:15 AM

My top choices would be either NM or Utah.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 03:02 AM

Depends on what you want to trap.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 03:27 AM

I think everyone should save up some vacation time next season, and head to within about 300 miles of Broadus, Montana!....Nah, maybe not, Lol.

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
I think everyone should save up some vacation time next season, and head to within about 300 miles of Broadus, Montana!....Nah, maybe not, Lol.

Self employed, vacation time isn't the problem lol, what up there?

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by adam m

Have you tried New Mexico? I was wondering about that state..... Just starting to look around.

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Depends on what you want to trap.

Cats & canine's mainly

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

Alabama will likely have the same coyote pelt quality as we have here,... With about $5 on a good day..... But I may be wrong?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:35 AM

Depends what you're wanting to trap. I'd think a state you could trap ROW without permission such as Iowa would be a great place for an out of stater to long line. We have some pretty nice laws here in Nebraska. If you can find someone to kind of get you on a few places other than 24 hour checks it's really wide open on equipment, sets, and number of animals trapped. I'd find a place with relaxed laws and right of way trapping if it were me.
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:53 AM

I've seen it written many times that Oklahoma has weird crappy trapping laws.

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by niteprowler
I've seen it written many times that Oklahoma has weird crappy trapping laws.

Unfortunately.... The state is good on many things.... Trapping is not one of them
Posted By: adam m

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hitman_P_C
Originally Posted by adam m

Have you tried New Mexico? I was wondering about that state..... Just starting to look around.

One of my lines is about 45 mintues to 1 of the gates.
There's plenty of public land for you to trap. No number of trap restrictions, only difference between Residents and Non residents trapping is the license fees.

Here's our hunting and trapping proclamation
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/home/publications/
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by K52
Originally Posted by Steelflight
Utah is a good choice. No trap number restrictions here

Utah isn't a good choice for non residents, against the law to trap cats for them unless I'm reading the regs wrong.

Non residents can by up to 6 bobcat tags just like residents. Pm me what tells you otherwise. I just reread lastyeats regs. This years hasn't been released yet. You just have to prove you took a trappers ed course.
Posted By: K52

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 04:23 PM

I had a senior moment and checked the wrong state regs. and posted wrong information. Thank you Steelflight for bringing it to my attention. I apologize to all Utah trappers
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 05:24 PM

Cant you just buy a commercial license in OK and set more?

Check laws are a good thing IMO, as long as they are reasonable. We all know guys who have screwed it up for the rest of us by not checking their traps. As sometimes the case, laws have to be made to keep stupid people from doing stupid things.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 07:47 PM

Probably one of the states you don’t hear from. Fur quality is a must , animals/species that are in demand, high percentage of public land with access, no limits on desirable fur bearers, or number of sets. Extended check period cause nobody is going to set, check, and remake 150-300 sets every 24/7 with possible exception to the supermen lol.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 08:14 PM

I'm lookin to move to AZ

Any of you guys know anything about their laws?

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 08:23 PM

Used to be exceptional, now not so much. I had the AzGF send me the regs a few years ago. Basically leg holds with jaw spread limitations and shock springs on private land only. No lethal trapping on public land period. Good luck to you.

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Probably one of the states you don’t hear from. Fur quality is a must , animals/species that are in demand, high percentage of public land with access, no limits on desirable fur bearers, or number of sets. Extended check period cause nobody is going to set, check, and remake 150-300 sets every 24/7 with possible exception to the supermen lol.

Yes all of that! How is Wyoming?
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/16/19 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hitman_P_C
Originally Posted by steeltraps

Alabama will likely have the same coyote pelt quality as we have here,... With about $5 on a good day..... But I may be wrong?

You are NOT wrong. I know guys that have sent Alabama coyotes off and got 50 cents for them. Had a friend get a 4.90 cent average one time for a couple of dozen coyotes. Bounty work is plentiful. I work 7 months out of the year trapping for QDMA type folks

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/17/19 02:16 AM

It has everything I posted about. Foot hold check is three days lethal snares once a week. Thousands of miles of dirt roads on both blm and USFS. Now for the minuses lol. The terrain can be overwhelming most of the deserts have only minor features to help pattern coyotes mostly featurless as far as the eyes can see. Transportation, where a snow machine is nesessary one day will be windblown into three foot drifts in spots and bare gravel the next. Tracked ATV or UTV would be ideal. Weather will literally kill you forties day time one week twenty five below with thirty or forty mph wind and minus fifty wind chill the next in November. January and February can be worse. Cat terain in my part of the state is limited and difficult to get to when cat season opens November 15 Marten opens Dec 1 in some areas and a snow machine is nesessary most years above 8000ft. In short I believe it was Tom Krause that wrote it is like trapping on the moon. But we don’t have any 5.00 coyotes or 20.00 cats unless you are totally clueless with a fleshing knife lol. Our reds are mostly strawberry blonds and are not very valuable. I can’t speak to beaver as I have only targeted them as a favor to landowners and use them for bait their pelts make excellent flags and lure holders when cut into 3”x 8” strips. Oh and swift fox in some areas are bad about plugging coyote sets and are not easy to skin without tearing their only worth about twelve or fifteen bucks
and the G&F discourage trapping them cause they don’t know what their population numbers are!
Animal population densities are not as high as further east, not a lot of agricultural crops. Some type of freeze proofing for footholds is almost nesessary unless you are an accomplished snow trapper or set the pine forests and use the duff under the fur and spruce trees. Waxed dirt is my preference with wax paper or thin produce bags as an alternative. Hope this helps.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Best of the Lower 48 for Running a Longline? - 07/17/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Used to be exceptional, now not so much. I had the AzGF send me the regs a few years ago. Basically leg holds with jaw spread limitations and shock springs on private land only. No lethal trapping on public land period. Good luck to you.

Sounds similar to GA... Guess I'll have to deal
© 2024 Trapperman Forums