Home

"Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! "

Posted By: Sharon

"Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 04:56 PM

The words came to mind as I finished up my very first project-a concrete birdbath ....the "wolf" , my own addition .

I have never been happy with the basic conventional bird bath, they are way too smooth, with a sharp rim that drops too steep for most birds to enjoy traction and wade down a gradual slope to splash.

With perfect weather for this, I dug a rough form in the ground, lined it with a plastic garbage bag, and picked up two bags of quick set concrete mix, and two bottles of buff colour .

I knew this project would be far from a professional looking job, in fact, would be quite rustic , but fun trying it , nonetheless.

So all you concrete guys and builders who would do this to artful perfection, bear with me !

All I wanted was a bath that tilted very gradually from the rim , with a gentle slope into the center...a pool with the shallow ends, and the deeper end , so to speak. Not smooth, (I knew I wouldn't have the pro talent to do that anyway ), but textured just enough for feet to grasp and not slip.

Typically, I should have used normal slower setting mix . Once I poured , I could see and feel that quick set becoming just that, right before my eyes. I had to work much faster than I would have liked , in shaping...and then adding on the art around the edges that inspired this whole project ....wolf tracks ! smile

By the time I pressed in the last few wolf imprints, it was almost too solid to work easily. Sheesh....lesson learned .

Thanks to...Jack !!!!! Your wood wolf track "stamp" is perfect !

When first pressed , they looked very like the ones in your walkway ..light and airy....but for this, I wanted more traction for small toes and claws , so , after pressing them all around, I roughed up the insides with several sharp stones . The last two tracks were difficult as that concrete was threatening to be rock solid. I managed to get it done !

I'm so glad I went the extra mile to colour it. Anything but grey....it turned out more yellow ochre than what I considered to be "buff", but that's fine. I like this tone .

It turned out to be 40 " wide, and just over 2" deep at center. The photos don't show the slope well, so I included the tape across the top to see the slope better.

It weighed a ton, lifting it out of the ground . The divets in places along the edges are where it broke off as I handled it , too thin, I suppose .

I chose a wood round and a cement round paver as a stand. The wood round isn't level in cut...for now I have it shimmed on one side until someday I can fix that round, or get something else. I did get the bath itself level on the bottom, by fitting a large dinner plate right side up in the ground , building up dirt around the edges, and covering it all with the plastic bag. It worked great ...formed a perfect flat wide surface with the sides curving up from the edges.... using that plate was perfect ! smile

Not twenty minutes after I filled it this morning, two pine Siskens flew to it and drank , and lounged around ...mission accomplished !

Thank you, Jack ! This wouldn't have been near the fun without your "wuff track " !

For my very first concrete work, rustic as it is, I'm happy , and want to share the happiness with the Tman Tribe !

[Linked Image]
When it first came out of the ground mold...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 04:58 PM

cool Very classy, just like the artist. Always enjoy your talent
Posted By: white17

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:02 PM

Lots of work there Sharon !! Pretty ambitious.

I have to wonder about birds that drink bath water sick
Posted By: newtoga

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:03 PM

Fabulous
Posted By: Zim

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:04 PM

Well Sharon, that looks great! Them dang birds got a gift right there, nice job as usual.

Zim
Posted By: Boco

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:11 PM

That looks great Sharon.Like a big old Toadstool for the wee birdies to enjoy.
Posted By: hippie

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:15 PM

Nice! Mom and my grandparents always had a birdbath.

Me, I keep several around but people mostly call them potholes in the driveway. Lol. It's fun to watch them flap their wings, splashing water everywhere.

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:26 PM

That would be fun with a BB gun !

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:31 PM

Been there White, lol.
I use to get in all kinds of trouble with my BB gun. Worst was plucking one off the birdhouse. That was a no-no I found out. cry

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:31 PM

Thanks, Kevin, very rustic !

I refresh the water often , and the sign posted telling them to shower before using the pool helps too , Sir Ken smile

Thanks newtoga !

Zim, I wonder if the chooks would like to cool their toes in something similar, thank you !

Boco, thats a great similarity ! I like that ! Its large enough so that everyone else won't frown when the big boys, the robins dive in and splash water everywhere !

Hippie, thank you . Its very rustic, but fun for me. I bet you peeling out your driveway helps build those bath holes

grin
Posted By: 080808

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:33 PM

Nice but I’m afraid those tracks will scare away birds. lol

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by white17
That would be fun with a BB gun !

shocked grin
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 06:28 PM

Clever idea - using the ground as a mold!

I never would've thought of that... Wonderful!!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 06:52 PM

Very impressive Sharon I'm always pleasantly surprised to see what type of art you made next then shared with us to enjoy.
Allan
Posted By: MnMan

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 07:20 PM

Very, very cool!
Posted By: Hern

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 07:20 PM

Wow! Great job.
My wife loves it.
Posted By: adam m

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 07:22 PM

Looks good Sharon. I dig it.

My dad made a couple and used the cheap $5 plastic bird baths as a mold. He cut the bottom of the post and the bath/top. Once the top was firm enough he reshaped and expanded the bath portion. Wish I had one
Posted By: Drifter

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 08:08 PM

Nice for sure. Don't forget to turn it over come winter. A one of a kind as well.
Posted By: Zim

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Been there White, lol.
I use to get in all kinds of trouble with my BB gun. Worst was plucking one off the birdhouse. That was a no-no I found out. cry

Hippie, statute of limitations has just run out on what I done with a bb gun.
Started in 1958 when I was just 4 years old.

Zim

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Nice but I’m afraid those tracks will scare away birds. lol

grinSo far, so good,they're still investigating ! 08080808080808 grin

Thanks, zoo400 ! Only thing about the ground is that if it's heavy, it isn't fun lifting it carefully from below ground level.

Thank you, Allen, MnMan, Hern ( you may have a new project !)

Adam, that is a great idea your father had in making his own !

Pete, great thought ! Yes I don't want the winter ice or snow to pile up on it. I will take it down and put it someplace safe. Thank you !

Zim, those wee chooks know they're safe with you protecting them !
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 09:12 PM

Looks great, Sharon!
I'm using a big old frying pan as a birdbath because I couldn't find a cement one this Spring at the usual box stores.
Posted By: adam m

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/16/19 09:45 PM

Sharon, it really was. He was a mad scientist of sorts when it came to concrete. The bird bath idea came to him because the plastic ones never lasted so the next one my mom bought he immediately went to town on it. I wish I had pictures of it or the concrete picnic table or the many other things he made.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 12:08 AM

looks great

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 12:53 AM

Beach, a pie plate , or even a stone with a dip in it will work wonders. The traction and shallow edge is key- thank you for your efforts , though !

Adam, cool info to have in your history , and thank you, Dahlgren.

The kiddos have been discovering the bath over the old small one all afternoon. Siskens are like pre school attendees , they do things in groups , and follow the leader.
They have been exploring the bath, drinking and splashing in the very shallow ends that I figured they would prefer . I like when I guess behaviour on sheer observance.

I had one Evening Grosbeak also enjoy the bath, though he flew off as I was trying to focus with my cam.

Cant wait to see robins find the deep end.

The pic is very bad in resolution, through the screen and glass , but you get the idea .

It's so fun to see them focus on the exact area I figured they would.
[Linked Image]

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:02 AM

Peep sights on the BB gun will work since you already know where they will be !!

I see a pie in your future !!

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:06 AM

LOL ! Isn't that the poem-four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie? grin

Pass the hot sauce ! wink

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:15 AM

Can we say "black-birds " ??? Shame on you !! They go really well with margaritas !

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:16 AM

Kill a bird, save a huckleberry!
wink

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:19 AM

LOL !!

" Needs garlic " ...... wink

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:21 AM

Haha, I saw pie mentioned and........

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:25 AM

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
LOL !!

" Needs garlic " ...... wink

I rub garlic on the front sight. It reduces parallax

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:34 AM

Well then, that dials it right in focus !

I knew garlic was good ! grin

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:40 AM

Besides......garlic goes well with foul..................maybe that should be fowl.

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:46 AM

Fowl......and buttah...... the secret to life ! grin

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:50 AM

Buttah ???? ..........Coulda fooled me !!

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 01:59 AM

grin

Howevah, the youts with wings wouldn't agree on any of this ... we all must be hungry !

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 02:04 AM

LOL !!! YOOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 02:10 AM

grin grin Thats what I meant !! YOOOOOOOOTHZZZ wink
Posted By: swift4me

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 06:55 AM

Incredible. Unfortunately you just gave me another project and I happen to have 2 sacks of redimix.

Good on you.

Pete

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 03:53 PM

Thank you, TD !

Pete, if your redimix is the fast set stuff, be ready to work fast ! With the interesting stones you have there, I bet some inset nice ones would look good, it would of course make it heavier , but still manageable , if small in size.

With so much of the country in this awful heat wave , water is much appreciated by all.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 04:05 PM

Now that is way cool and practical to make. Looks like the birds are now on vacation at your place. Great idea!

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 04:11 PM

Thank you Jim !

BTW- I tried your idea on the dryer sheets - you are right- it worked like a charm getting the bugs off ! I dont use dryer sheets so I had to buy a small box to try. That would work perfectly on trips in travel !
Posted By: Gulo

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/17/19 10:45 PM

Sharon -

Leave it to you to come up with something that beautiful and that practical. I love it. Too, I figured you would come up with something legendary with the carved wolf track. I can't think of anyone else I know that would put it to such great use! Now Miss Lisa wants to try her hand at making a pteetsa banya!

Jack

Re: "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves , Oh My ! " - 07/18/19 02:38 AM

Jack ,

It was only natural to see the fun in using the wuff stamp on this venture !

It now has residence in my office , patiently waiting it's next call in art.

Maybe I should carry it in my truck for the next asphalt paving the road crew does....excite drivers seeing wolf tracks trotting across the highway, across the yellow line paint grin

Sounds like a plan for Miss Lisa ! Projects enjoyed in the planning and building together are so fun cool

The wee ones are having a blast enjoying the pool . They always stay right where the tracks are , no doubt the traction is perfect for them . Robins haven't discovered it and the deep center yet !

© 2024 Trapperman Forums