Home

Home security help needed for buddy

Posted By: Catch22

Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:36 PM

I have a friend who lives in town and they just had a incident happen. His wife was home alone and heard someone trying to force the front door handle and then seen a shadow figure, and then he was gone. They don't have a peep hole or anything and understandably his wife is shaken. None of us are tech'y and I wanted to ask for them, what kind of security measures can be taken like peep holes or cameras with a phone app or something? I hate to think what might have happened if she didn't lock the door because we just got word it was a guy that was trying doors throughout the street. Any help would be appreciated.

Catch
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:38 PM

shot guns work pretty good.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:44 PM

The Google doorbell.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
shot guns work pretty good.

Lol, that's what I said. But they want something else to now. Scared the bajebbers out of all of us.
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:45 PM

An ADT sign for the front yard.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:46 PM

Or modify this appropriately
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:51 PM

the ring door bell or something like it you can pull out your phone and check the door.

It connects to the house wifi and you have an app on your phone , you can pay for online storage also.

my dad has a small motion and sound sensor camera he leaves on the table that looks out the window it sends him an alert when there is motion outside. many options not a lot of tech needed if you can open an account , load and app and get your phone on wifi you should be able to set these up.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 10:52 PM

Ring doorbell is what I got the girlfriend from Lowes. It sends a video to her phone via the app. You can talk to whoever is at the door, when I pick up something at her house I leave her a message on her Ring doorbell by just speaking aloud. It was also recommended by the ADT installer when he put her security system in. He uses it himself and showed us his app and videos. Installation is easier than installing a normal doorbell it's all wireless. It's not cheap but it's well worth it.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 11:03 PM

Ok, but I don't understand. Does this doorbell pick up motion and start recording without someone ringing the bell?

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 11:28 PM

Sorry Catch 22. Yes it works via motion and you can set sensitivity and range for it to work. The girlfriend's bell has a very wide area that it records and the the video is high quality. The sound pick up is good also. You can speak and hear whoever or whatever is at the door. She has a cardinal that comes to her porch and sets off the camera and you can hear it also. Hope this clears it up some.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by lestan101
Sorry Catch 22. Yes it works via motion and you can set sensitivity and range for it to work. The girlfriend's bell has a very wide area that it records and the the video is high quality. The sound pick up is good also. You can speak and hear whoever or whatever is at the door. She has a cardinal that comes to her porch and sets off the camera and you can hear it also. Hope this clears it up some.

It does and I thank you lestan. I will start researching this thing and give them the info I find. I sure appreciate it because I know there has always been crime but it sure seems different and more frequent now. They haven't caught this guy yet but a couple people did call the cops.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/17/19 11:41 PM

I've thought about getting one of those fancy doorbells. We are moving out of the city out to the country in a few weeks, and I still think I'll look into it. We had a package taken off our porch last weekend, at least that's what we think happened. The tracking info showed it was delivered when we weren't home and the package wasnt there when we got back. Then just last week there was a drive by shooting just 6 blocks away. I hope that won't be an issue out in the country, but I know that's not a reasonable thought nowadays.

Probably missed out on a deal on it during Amazon Prime Days yesterday and Monday, but it is what it is.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 12:33 AM

tiguy that was the big reason for the camera we had the neighbors dog tear up some packages. We are also in the country but still have some problems. The doorbells are not cheap but we are well satisfied with ours. I am still impressed with how well it records episodes. As I stated in a previous post our ADT rep/installer uses one at his house. That was a good endorsement for me.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 12:45 AM

You can get the basic model for around $100, plus $30/year for the 60-day recording storage. I think that's a pretty affordable investment in home security. Plus at the new house my office will face out the front of the house, so if anyone comes up the driveway, I'll see them before they get anywhere near the front door. But I'm not always home. The incident Catch22 is the 2nd I've read about on here in the last week or two, and it would give me peace of mind to know I can see who is at the front door when I not home. The two-way communication is pretty neat. Being able to ask someone what they want and tell them police are on the way if need be is pretty cool. I also read on their site of the doorbell gets stolen, they will replace it for free if you send the police report.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 04:55 AM

One other thing I have been meaning to buy is fake security cams. Just mount them where they are noticeable. Some move and some have a red LED on them. They be a deterrent to some bad guys. Most are battery operated.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by virgil1972
An ADT sign for the front yard.

This.

And a good dog, the best deterrent in the world
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 09:34 AM

if it wasn't safe to leave doors unlocked while at home I would move. seriously. you in a federal housing project?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 01:00 PM

I like the Magna volt "porch edition" Thanks Pike River grin
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 01:51 PM

a loud dog and an ADT sign will make em think about about.

the ring doorbells are good too - https://ring.com/

apparently you can get a "ring" sign like the ADT signs

my wife's aunt got one a few years back, and we installed it in place of the old doorbell in about 10 minutes.
it connects to your internet and sends alerts to your phone too, so you can see when someone is at the door.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 03:15 PM

Thanks for the video links bowhunter and ranger. Danny, lol, no we don't live in the projects. I truly don't know what the heck is going on anymore, people are bold and try stuff even in broad daylight. A few weeks ago there was a gal that drove around picking up random things and putting them in her car. She had it full of stuff before the cops finally showed up.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 03:21 PM

Just last night when the wife and I were going to bed around 11 there were 4 squad cars parked along the street outside my house. I presume they were interested in the folks across the street, and I saw one officer leading the K9 away from the house. I watched for a bit but didnt see anything, though I may have missed the action. Only 19 days until we move out of the city, but who's counting!
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 03:31 PM

"Simply Safe". It is a full house alarm system that you install yourself. You can also get multiple cameras that link to the "Simply Safe" app, and you can watch your home (inside and out) from anywhere.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl8sZI5AH4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foV5NH8ZkCg

Videos of how the doorbell works and actually catching porch pirates.

I love the one where the guy picked up the box and the loud alarm went off! I'm guessing he was in dire need of some toilet paper!
laugh
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 03:46 PM

Depending on your budget, there a many things you can do. You can really install a security system like I have. Before you leave, you punch in a code and your system is armed. If a door opens or there is movement inside the house, an alarm goes off. About 30 seconds later, you get a phone call asking for your code. If the bad guy is dumb enough to answer the phone and doesn't know the code, the authorities are notified. Or, if no one answers, the authorities are notified.

You can put in a surveillance system outside. Motion detecting lights, which I have. A Beware of Dog sign in a very noticeable spot. Put up security signs on all doors especially if you have a security system. I don't think ADT would like people using their signs if they didn't have their system.

A TV interview with a thief who had recently gotten out of prison and made his living burglarizing homes said he avoided two kinds of homes, those with dogs and those with a security system. His reasoning was, there are so many homes that don't have these two deterrents. Why bother with the ones that do?
Posted By: Born

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 09:33 PM

A siren and strobe light could also be a cheep solution. Something a person could trigger when feeling threatened.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/18/19 11:28 PM

I use a system of wireless buckshot

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/19/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Leary Sink
I use a system of wireless buckshot

Leaded or unleaded. grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/19/19 02:24 AM

Had a work yrailer stolen from me last year, it freaked the wife out and she got a camera called blink off the net. It is attached to an area light pole beside our driveway. Anybody that drives thru or approaches side door to house is tecorded and an instant text video sent to her phone. Works off the house wifi, check it out
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/19/19 02:26 AM

*Work trailer, and recorded, sry im on phone, fat fingers got me lol
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/19/19 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Just last night when the wife and I were going to bed around 11 there were 4 squad cars parked along the street outside my house. I presume they were interested in the folks across the street, and I saw one officer leading the K9 away from the house. I watched for a bit but didnt see anything, though I may have missed the action. Only 19 days until we move out of the city, but who's counting!

We moved out to the country about a year and a half ago, best thing I ever did; zero regrets.

Re: Home security help needed for buddy - 07/19/19 03:36 AM

The officers came back this morning, 3 of them knocked on the door and waited, no response. Their body language had me confused. They were smiling and laughing as they walked up the sidewalk towards the house, but once they knocked, one appeared to undo the strap on her taser and another had a hand on his sidearm. Understandable if they were doing a welfare check this morning, but doesn't explain the 4 cars and K9 at 11pm last night.

Wish I could find out what they were looking for. I work from home so I could keep an eye out while I'm here, and if theres something I should be aware of, it would be good to know.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums