Home

Ain't it a purdy weld!

Posted By: Chuckles84

Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:02 PM

[Linked Image]

While in Springfield for the NTA convention we spent some time at Bass Pro. This was the weld job on a boat on the showroom floor. All the visible welds on the boat looked like the ones in the picture. My buddy who is a welder walked over and started pointing out pin hole after pin hole. The quality control guy must have been sleeping when this boat went by. It was the pro 160 model pretty bad for a boat that is probably 15k.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:10 PM

Had me scared there for a minute. shocked

I thought, by the title that it might be some of your own work, and you were proud of it. blush

Having been a professional welder, I just couldn't find it within myself to offer any complements. frown

So glad my first impression was incorrect, and that you indeed know the difference. grin

You ought to see some of the welds on new farm machinery. Spend tens of thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment that looks like the turkeys roosted on it. sick

Charlie
Posted By: warrior

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:14 PM

I know nothing of welding but I've spent plenty of time in and around boats and always thought Tracker/Grizzly boats looked like they were put together a committee of idiots.

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Had me scared there for a minute. shocked

I thought, by the title that it might be some of your own work, and you were proud of it. blush

Having been a professional welder, I just couldn't find it within myself to offer any complements. frown

So glad my first impression was incorrect, and that you indeed know the difference. grin

You ought to see some of the welds on new farm machinery. Spend tens of thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment that looks like the turkeys roosted on it. sick

Charlie

I havent ever welded before but know it shouldnt look like that.

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
I know nothing of welding but I've spent plenty of time in and around boats and always thought Tracker/Grizzly boats looked like they were put together a committee of idiots.

It was bad, I should have taken more pictures. The next model up was right beside it and its welds looked like what I would expect a boat of that price done by a professional to look like.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:19 PM

I looked at boats this spring at a Bass pro and one of the ones they had on display wasn't built correctly and the motor couldn't turn more then 45 degrees without hitting the transom. Very poor work and to put it on display wow.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 08:49 PM

There are welders and grinders ... If you are not good at one, ya got to e good at the other.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:10 PM

All welders are not created equally.....all I'm gonna say bout that!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:13 PM

I call them bubble gum welds.My two sons could weld better than that by the time they were 14.

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
There are welders and grinders ... If you are not good at one, ya got to e good at the other.

One of my first statements after I saw it, was dont they have a grinder.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:21 PM

sick
It doesn't surprise me at all. Bought a bass pro fishing pole a couple months ago every 3-5 cast the top half of the rod would fly into the lake. 2-3 times the eyelets cut my line. I took it back right away and laughed when they offered to exchange it.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:23 PM

Reminds me of a place I applied to work at.. I had never welded aluminum before, when I tested my weld was ok. I told the guy within a couple days I would make pretty welds. Then he walked me around the shop....... I couldn't believe they were selling trailers. Their customers must be blind.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:27 PM

Dang, that looks like they turned me loose on the welder, and that's bad. grin
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

Would that be before a couple of cold ones or after?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 10:01 PM

Made in America (by Mexicans)
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
Originally Posted by Catch22

Would that be before a couple of cold ones or after?

Lol, either one will garner the same results, poor welds and some flash on my neck. grin

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 11:32 PM

[Linked Image]

Heres a picture that was done at the shop I work at. Cant remember if he used an actual brazing rod or if it was a coat hanger.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 11:45 PM

Must be a coat hanger, because at least the brazing rod would make it a gold color. crazy
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
Made in America (by Mexicans)

This........
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/19/19 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84
[Linked Image]

Heres a picture that was done at the shop I work at. Cant remember if he used an actual brazing rod or if it was a coat hanger.

That is some special chicken scat welding there. Hopefull the customer did not have to pay for that. crazy

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
[Linked Image]

That is some special chicken scat welding there. Hopefull the customer did not have to pay for that. crazy

I would say there is a 50/50 chance that money changed hands. Sometimes jobs like that get charged for and some dont. I have told the guy next to me that so much shade tree stuff gets done that I am gonna bring in a tree to work under.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 03:15 AM

I have passed tests and been payed good money to weld 100% X-ray I don’t consider myself a welder. My father was a welder! 798 pipeliner Tulsa Ok those guys can weld. They would laugh and say look what the chicken left
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 04:10 AM

"A whole lot of grinding and little bit of paint makes a welder where a welder ain't" lol. Work in a welding shop building livestock equipment with my uncle and that's his saying to all the new guys and self proclaimed professionals.

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 04:13 AM

He has told one of my coworkers, who suggested we get a mig welder, that it wont work cause you cant get penetration with a mig. Too which my welder friend just laughed.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 06:05 AM

He has told one of my coworkers, who suggested we get a mig welder, that it wont work cause you cant get penetration with a mig. Too which my welder friend just laughed.

It depends on how the mig welder is set up. You get one set up for 'spray arc' using an Oxygen/Argon gas mix and you can burn through some pretty thick stuff.

The little 'home owner' CO2 models, not so much. smile

Charlie
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ain't it a purdy weld! - 07/20/19 09:39 AM

That's a deal where they advertise for welders paying from $15-30 per hour. That's a $15/hr weld.
I put on a brand spanking new pair of denim shorts the other day. Put the car keys in my pocket and they hit the floor at my foot. YUGE hole in the bottom of the pocket.
Material so thin you could read a newspaper thru it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums