Home

Veterans Beware of Home Depot

Posted By: Furvor

Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 02:44 AM

Home Depot pats themselves on the back saying the give 10% discount to veteran in recognition of veteran's service to the country. They profit by leading general public to believe they help veterans. As I see it they are unethically using veterans to make themselves look good thus increasing their profits at veteran's expense; the discount is so severely restricted and so often denied that it becomes a joke. Not a funny joke. They have no obligation to give a discount. But to say they do and toot their horn about it then not do it is disgusting. I may still shop Home Depot but it will not be my first choice.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:10 AM

I've never asked for the discount. Not sure why. I do a bit of side work for a guy who is also a veteran and we go together to Home Depot or wherever so he can buy whatever I tell him we need. He always shows his drivers license with the veteran designation and always gets the 10%.

What's the situation where you're seeing it denied?
Posted By: white17

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:16 AM

I have always had an OK experience with HD and vet discount
Posted By: DucksandDogs

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:20 AM

I’ve seen it capped at $500. I’ve also never come across a cashier who wasn’t willing to ring up my entire order into separate $500 orders so I got the discount on the entire order.

That said, I only shop there when Lowe’s doesn’t have what I want.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:21 AM

They say things like "the item does not qualify", ID must say "service connected", etc. It sometimes appears to be cashier's option. Call them or Google them trying to find the policy detail. You will not find it. If you Google the discount expect a written ear full.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Furvor
They say things like "the item does not qualify", ID must say "service connected", etc. It sometimes appears to be cashier's option. Call them or Google them trying to find the policy detail. You will not find it. If you Google the discount expect a written ear full.

HMMMMMmmmmmmm Not buying that !/

I am 80% service connected but my MILITARY ID doesn't say that. My VA ID MIGHT say that but I don't see it.

As I said above.........I've never had a problem with either Lowes or HD
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:35 AM

Could be a problem with your local store Furvor. HD does tout itself as an employer/supporter of veterans so if your store isn't following that then maybe you should find the management and see what they say.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:41 AM

I spent about a half hour on the phone with a guy in their "customer care" department and just got load after load of bs. I then Emailed their CEO but the Email was not accepted.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:57 AM

My grandfather flew over 30 missions as a tail gunner in WWII and survived a plane crash; till the day he died ; he never ask or used a veterans discount. My dad did two tours in Vietnam and was badly burned in action ; he has never asks for or uses a veterans discount. When I see my worthless coworker, who drove a water truck in Germany for 2 years in the 90's throwing a screaming fit over his veterans discount like he stormed the beaches of Normandy just to save $12 on a lawn mower; it reminds me why I have so much respect for my dad and grandfather.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 04:12 AM

I would encourage your dad t to speak up for himself !!

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by white17
I would encourage your dad t to speak up for himself !!

He's a very proud and patriotic man; looks at his service as a job that needed done just like my grandfather did. Both were just glad they could serve their country. Quite waters run deep.

My nephew joined the army reserve several years back, and before he even went to basic he was asking for a veterans discount at McDonalds.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 05:09 AM

My regards to your dad and grandfater !!
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 08:34 AM

From my experience, HD cashiers require a VA card, military ID, or retired ID. In Pennsylvania vets can have a US flag on their license, but not all HD cashiers will accept it. I had a cart full of stuff a couple months ago and the cashier refused to give me the discount, so I cancelled the transaction, bought the item that only HD sold had and told the cashier I was going to Lowe's across the street to save $30 or so dollars. Other cashiers will accept the license without hestation.

Lowe's requires you fill out an application and they use some type of "veteran verify" to approve you.
Posted By: Lone Watie

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 09:21 AM

When I shop my local Home Depot, I always ask, "You give a military discount correct?", "Yes we do, I just need to see your ID card." They always thank me for my service and give me a 10% discount...I've never been denied.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 09:34 AM

It seems that the HD stores all do things different. I have gotten the discount by showing my DD214. Lowes gives 15 per cent after you sign up with them.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 11:09 AM

Here in PA veteran's driver's licences have a small flag with the word "veteran" under it. That is all the proof any Home Depot cashier has ever needed. This is the first I've heard of anyone having an issue.

Additionally; Home Depot co-founder billionaire co-founder Bernie Marcus (retired) is a Trump supporter so maybe it will cut down on the number of snowflakes clogging the aisles.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 11:19 AM

Home Depot pats themselves on the back saying the give 10% discount to veteran in recognition of veteran's service to the country. They profit by leading general public to believe they help veterans. As I see it they are unethically using veterans to make themselves look good thus increasing their profits at veteran's expense; the discount is so severely restricted and so often denied that it becomes a joke. Not a funny joke. They have no obligation to give a discount. But to say they do and toot their horn about it then not do it is disgusting. I may still shop Home Depot but it will not be my first choice.

Do you think the stores that give a senior discount are unethical? It is business. Go to Menards, they give no discount.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 02:52 PM

HD here doesn't give a military discount anymore. The vets I know all tell me they used to until a few years ago.
Lowes gives 10% discount on everything and asks everyone everytime if they have military or contractor discount
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by white17

HMMMMMmmmmmmm Not buying that !/

I am 80% service connected but my MILITARY ID doesn't say that. My VA ID MIGHT say that but I don't see it.

As I said above.........I've never had a problem with either Lowes or HD

You look under your photo on your VA ID it will say that you are service connected, my dose.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 03:08 PM

You're right Coydog. I Never noticed that before

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 04:24 PM

Do you think the stores that give a senior discount are unethical? It is business. Go to Menards, they give no discount.

As I clearly stated, they have no obligation to give a discount. It's taking credit for giving a discount then making it unavailable to customers who ask that is unethical. The same logic would apply to senior discounts.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 04:33 PM

There are possible openings on the "View" for those who feel perpetually offended.

Bryce
Posted By: corky

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
There are possible openings on the "View" for those who feel perpetually offended.

Bryce

LOL
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 05:03 PM

I like HD better than Lowes but Lowes is a lot more convenient form me. I don't know if it the same percentage but lowes offers a vet discount to.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 05:03 PM

Bryce

grin
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 07:15 PM

I know a Vietnam vet(two tours) who thinks the "veterans only" parking spaces are ridiculous. His words: "Veterans this, veterans that, they're trying to make us just another hyphenated American group always wanting more. I'm tired of it." This guy is in his seventies and still works full time. He is a very interesting guy to talk with, but he will only rarely say much about his time over there.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 10:58 PM

I just special ordered a new boiler for my house from Home Depot last Thursday and got my 10% miltary discount a little over 2 grand total cost.
J
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 11:02 PM

Each of us view these opportunities differently. I rarely ask or inquire about a veteran's discount. I agree with the veteran gryhkl is referring too. We continue to try and find ways to segment our citizens with rewards, subsidies, trinkets etc. etc. When millions of veterans came home after WW11 they re-entered society and went to work. That is good enough for me.
Pretty soon we can develop a group that is giving freebies to left-handed short, obese, veteran, Scandinavians, born in December etc. etc. and that most likely would be a group of 1.

Bryce
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 11:16 PM

Go to Lowe's!
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/22/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by brianmall
Go to Lowe's!

They have designated parking for veterans at my local Lowe’s. I’ll go there if my local hardware store doesn’t have what I’m looking for.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/23/19 03:21 AM

Each of us view these opportunities differently. I rarely ask or inquire about a veteran's discount. I agree with the veteran gryhkl is referring too. We continue to try and find ways to segment our citizens with rewards, subsidies, trinkets etc. etc. When millions of veterans came home after WW11 they re-entered society and went to work. That is good enough for me.
Pretty soon we can develop a group that is giving freebies to left-handed short, obese, veteran, Scandinavians, born in December etc. etc. and that most likely would be a group of 1.

Bryce

This.

Go to a VA hospital and see if someone is ranting about a veterans discount.

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/23/19 02:34 PM

Go to a VA hospital and see if someone is ranting about a veterans discount.

You miss the point. There was no rant about a discount. The thread is about falsehood.
Posted By: charles

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/23/19 05:16 PM

Wife and I get vet discount at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Never a problem. We completely redid our condo two years ago and bought all materials using the discount. Often our price was better than contractor discount.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/23/19 08:11 PM

The vet discount is more than the contractor discount.

I have commercial accounts at both Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's gives a 5% discount on all commercial purchases, Home Depot does not. Both places offer 10% discount for vets.

When it comes to things like hardware and lumber, I can get better quality for less money using my accounts at regular building supply houses.
Posted By: run

Re: Veterans Beware of Home Depot - 07/23/19 08:24 PM

I am glad to hear that regular builders supply are still competitive.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums