Home

Cast iron guestion

Posted By: PA TRAPPER

Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 03:01 PM

Hello I have a question regarding a cast iron tea kettle that I came across last year and was wanting to know would someone have some insight on what time era that a wire type spring handle produced.The kettle is heavy cast iron and looks to be old and came from a homestead that was from the seventeen hundreds .But the handle kinda is throwing me off for the time era.Thanks for any help on the handle.Dane
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 03:07 PM

I have one. It sits on top of my wood stove and acts as a humidifier in the winter.

Mine is probably thirty years old, definitely not an antique.

It looks very similar to this one:

[Linked Image]

They are still made.

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 03:19 PM

It looks a little like it but larger I think I'll try to post a picture,Thanks for your insight.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 03:55 PM

google it lol
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 03:55 PM

The originals have been around for a long time, the Chinese copies about half that time.

Try to post pictures if you can, you might have a real one.

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 05:31 PM

I thought it was larger than the one lugnut posted its probably the same size the spout looks different.Thanks for the reply and information.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 06:16 PM

Spout looks the same on both to me
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 06:52 PM

Flip it over PA TRAPPER, mine has "Made in China" stamped onto the bottom. It holds about three quarts.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 07:10 PM

Not real old, stainless and chrome plateing were invented in the early 1900s. anything with stainless or chrome hardware would be within the last hundred years.i would guess a 1970s or 80s knockoff. now if it hade a wooden handle on the bail it would be interesting.

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 07:12 PM

I by no means consider myself an expert on cast iron, but I was fortunate enough to grow up when the quality stiff was around. Cast iron was passed on down through the family like guns and tools. The good stuff casting seams are smooth, you could not use them to cut rope or notches in the table leg for every time you had to eat Brussel sprouts. The 1970's seen a lot of counterfeit cast iron ( I think a bunch of it was from India) Remember the flea markets being flooded with the old-time banks?

Quality cast iron won't always say "Made in USA" or have a maker name even if it had been made here, sometimes it is just an alphabetical letter or just a number or two. Again as I mentioned I do not consider myself to know a lot but just observations of the many pieces I have owned or looked at over the years.

The lid on your looks to be a much better casting than the one Lugnut showed, no casting pits or imperfections. I am leaning to yours having a much better quality control when made.

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 10:29 PM

I really appreciate the information that you all shared I looked it over and could not find any stamp markings on it.I be as wondering about the chrome plate era.Jim it does have smooth seams appear wide to me .It was a cool find anyway on my part I appreciate the insight .Thanks Dane

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/26/19 10:30 PM

I wonder did they market replacement handles in the past.

Re: Cast iron guestion - 07/27/19 03:27 AM

A lot of the old stuff had nickel plating, such as the trim on a wood cookstove.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums