Home

Cocked N Locked

Posted By: SGT. C

Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:33 AM

I'm a fan of the 1911 platform. What are your opinions on carrying, at home or in your vehicle cocked n locked? I prefer it myself.

Just this morning around 7. I had two unwanted males parked 10 yards deep in my driveway. My driveway is 230 yards long with cow pasture on both sides that is fenced. No way to turn around except to back out or go all the way to my house and turn around. I thought about blocking them in and taking a position across my hood. But I realized I had my wifes new suv and my piece was in my truck. So I backed out and then they backed out and I chased them a good bit to reinforce the message. No tags.
So. now my neighbors are on alert and my wife is loaded for bear while I'm at work tonight. And yes, I drove my truck and have my piece with me.
Here in S.C, my actions would have been within the law when on private property and the nature of the scene. Especially with my wife at home alone. Sarge
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:46 AM

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911 IMO. I to like the platform and according to my wife own entirely to many of them. grin
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:52 AM

I carry fairly often; usually a Glock.

I don't normally carry one in the chamber.

a. I'm not LE.; so not a "target", per se.
b. I'm "situationally aware" and believe I'll have time to chamber a round, if needed.

if situations dictate, I'm perfectly willing to change my normal operation.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:53 AM

I'm glad nothing happened and your wife is loaded while your at work. Hopefully they got the point.

I too carry cocked and locked. My dad would flip out if he was alive and knew. But those 2-3 seconds to put the initial round in chamber could mean a world of difference.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:20 AM

Condition 1 is the best way to carry a 1911.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:24 AM

I never carried a single action but if I did it would be cocked and locked. The DA/SA I carried for decades always had one in the chamber and the safety was off. The long, heavy trigger pull for the first double-action shot was safety enough, same as many newer double-action only pistols.

My current everyday carry is a Sig-Sauer DAO with no manual safety. I carry it with a round chambered.

I have read where Sig is now make a MS (manual safety) variant of the P365.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:27 AM

Personally if I am carrying then she will be ready to rock and roll. In a stressful situation not having to think about loading first will be extremely beneficial.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:31 AM

If it’s not ready to go bang you might as well not even carry. I have a few 1911’s and love them except for concealed carry, just too dang hard to hide. I prefer one I forget I’m wearing. I was never a Glock fan until I found the 43X. That is one sweet little gun...it to will go bang after drawing.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:31 AM

Cocked and locked on my 1911 but a short barreled 12 gauge is still my preferred “go to” weapon!

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I never carried a single action but if I did it would be cocked and locked. The DA/SA I carried for decades always had one in the chamber and the safety was off. The long, heavy trigger pull for the first double-action shot was safety enough, same as many newer double-action only pistols.

My current everyday carry is a Sig-Sauer DAO with no manual safety. I carry it with a round chambered.

Tell me more? Have been thinking of getting a p365 for the wife. Is it something they just come out with? I like the idea of 12 plus 1. Black Talons all the way. Sarge
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:49 AM

When I carry you can bet it is cocked and locked
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 01:52 AM

The Sig P365 is available in a few new configurations, including one with a manual safety and the newer P365XL.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:04 AM

1911 black label slim in 380 love it , except for all the safety BS
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:11 AM

S&W 5906 and yep one in the spout.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
Originally Posted by Lugnut

Tell me more? Have been thinking of getting a p365 for the wife. Is it something they just come out with? I like the idea of 12 plus 1. Black Talons all the way. Sarge

The 365 was introduced in January last year, at the SHOT show in Los Vegas is my understanding. The wife and I like ours a lot. They came with two 10-rd mags, one flush and one extended. I traded the wife my flush for her extended so I can get a full grip. She has smaller hands and is comfortable with the flush mags.

We haven't sprung for the 12-rd mags yet but intend to. They say "Sig" on them so be prepared to pay extra.

I see where Sig now has a 15-rd mag available for the 365.

There was some controversy with the first generation, broken firing pins and defective night-sights. I don't know how much was true and how much was internet bull crap. Sig has been pretty tight-lipped about it. Supposedly the newer ones (2nd gen?) have had all the issues ironed out and there are plenty of YouTube vids claiming thousands of rounds with no failure-to-fires.

All in all it's a pretty impressive little pistol, supposedly built around the double-stack mag. Most pistols that size hold 6 + 1, not 10 +1 or more with the available hi-cap mags.

We probably have over 500 rounds through ours with zero FTF's.

I did a lot of research before this purchase. In addition to the high capacity I really like the fact that there is no safety to fool with, especially for the wife if she ever finds herself in a high-stress situation. Just pull the trigger and it goes bang.

I think trigger and grip safeties are stupid.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:20 AM

on a 1911 condition 1 or 3 but 2 is a bad idea.

I carry a glock with a round in the chamber , the safety on that type of gun is the holster , this isn't really any less true of the manual safety guns , plenty of times I pulled my manual safety frame mounted safety gun from it's holster and the safety had worked off in the holster.

a good holster that protects the trigger is important with any gun carried with a round in the chamber.

full size guns are great but the gun that is with you is better than the gun you left at home or in the in the other truck.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:22 AM

SGT C, is everything ok with you? For a while now I’ve been concerned with you from the posts you’ve made. I don’t know if you’re on medication or if it’s just an age thing (I know you’re up there in age). But I get the feeling you’re very close to killing somebody or want to for that matter.

I hope I’m wrong. I know what I’m saying can be taken wrong and prob get a bunch of hate from people on here and the Canadian jokes will come in. But seriously, I think there’s something wrong. Hope you don’t kill an innocent person.

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:25 AM

Thanks Lugnut, I like the feel and looks of the 365. 15 rounder, liking it even better.
I might have to get one in hot pink. Any guy who carries a hot pink pistol should be left well alone. LOL... Sarge

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
SGT C, is everything ok with you? For a while now I’ve been concerned with you from the posts you’ve made. I don’t know if you’re on medication or if it’s just an age thing (I know you’re up there in age). But I get the feeling you’re very close to killing somebody or want to for that matter.

I hope I’m wrong. I know what I’m saying can be taken wrong and prob get a bunch of hate from people on here and the Canadian jokes will come in. But seriously, I think there’s something wrong. Hope you don’t kill an innocent person.

Everything is good here. Don't want to shoot anyone that doesn't need it. What happened when I was in the service is one thing, but to face a gunman in a hospital and be shot at is totally something different. And yes. it does change a person, I'm more in tune to my surroundings then ever before. I take great pride in protecting my workplace and the people who serve this community. My wife, kids, dogs and home is totally off limits. No questions or mercy will be rendered.
I appreciate your concern. But all is well here until it's not.
I seem to be in the right place the last few months to protect lives. I helped a lady who was running into 4 lanes of traffic trying to commit suicide a couple of weeks and now the incident at home. Sarge

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:45 AM

Ok good! Glad you didn’t take what I said wrong. I didn’t know how to say it without making it sound bad. Sometimes things on here can be taken differently then how I mean them if I said them in person.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 03:23 AM

Cocked and locked as most have a grip safety nowadays and the thumb one but it will freak folks out. My work holster the rocker strap went between the hammer and the gun.
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 03:39 AM

Carry everyday and always cocked and locked.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 03:41 AM

Taurus Model PT 140, .40 cal …. one chambered and manual safety on. When wearing jacket …. shoulder holster … no jacket … Inside waistband on hip.

Garry-
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 03:44 AM

Just this morning around 7. I had two unwanted males parked 10 yards deep in my driveway. My driveway is 230 yards long with cow pasture on both sides that is fenced. No way to turn around except to back out or go all the way to my house and turn around. I thought about blocking them in and taking a position across my hood. But I realized I had my wifes new suv and my piece was in my truck. So I backed out and then they backed out and I chased them a good bit to reinforce the message. No tags.

Man, I live a sheltered life. Before SD went to constitutional carry, I had a concealed permit (sort of had to get it to even carry a pistol around hunting or whatever) for 30+ years but haven't had a pistol in a holster on me for probably 20. Maybe I'm just playing the odds. Drawing down on someone pulling around in your driveway, wow, that's foreign up here. I wonder how many dozens and dozens of farms I've pulled in as a stranger and walked up to the door to ask about hunting or trapping some of their land. I've never had a 12 guage in my face but I'm sure in a lot of cases, something was handy. Maybe its just way more people out East and a tree thing, although when the corn is high, lots of places to hide in this country...

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Man, I live a sheltered life. Before SD went to constitutional carry, I had a concealed permit (sort of had to get it to even carry a pistol around hunting or whatever) for 30+ years but haven't had a pistol in a holster on me for probably 20. Maybe I'm just playing the odds. Drawing down on someone pulling around in your driveway, wow, that's foreign up here. I wonder how many dozens and dozens of farms I've pulled in as a stranger and walked up to the door to ask about hunting or trapping some of their land. I've never had a 12 guage in my face but I'm sure in a lot of cases, something was handy. Maybe its just way more people out East and a tree thing, although when the corn is high, lots of places to hide in this country...

Hello, from their action. My instinct was correct. They were 10 yards deep down my driveway. Too narrow to turn around anyway. Plus the car was parked. Also not knowing what and if something had or was about to happen with wife at home sleeping at the time. I would not have drawn on them directly but would have taken a defensive and safe position behind my vehicle and yes I would have been ready if they exited or drive backwards at high rate of speed or was attempting to engage .
My gut instinct has always served me well. To ignore it could cost me dearly. If for some reason they were there due to mechanical issues. Then just a matter to reholster and canceal and no harm nor foul.
South carolina is State that doesn't play well with people up to no good. I have had people with weapons in hand when I drove onto their property or knocked on their door. Once they realize all is well, they put it away. Just the society we live in today or at least in part of the country I live in. Sarge
Posted By: Posco

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 05:11 AM

I always carry with one in the pipe. The S&W Shield has the articulating trigger and a manual safety. I handle the gun constantly and have throwing the safety off ingrained in my head.
Posted By: chamookman

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 07:51 AM

I carry My Wilson 1911 just like JMB made it - Cocked - Locked and ready to Rock Doc ! Bob
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 09:15 AM

Cocked and locked.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 11:55 AM

My pistols in the house or truck are all full mags sitting on empty chambers with safetys off. Whichever one reached for day or night whomever is doing the reaching no matter the make or model or caliber or how the safety works is ready to be racked and fired. They are all common like that. I like that.

90% of the time in my holster they are like that too. Yes I'm not prepared for someone to sneak up behind me putting me in a full nelson but I am prepared for some guy robbing the gas station at a distance or someone getting out of their car road raging in front of me or some guy whopping up on his old lady down the street. I feel those would be the most likely scenarios to play out.

I personally don't see someone sneaking up behind me as a high probability except for the other 10% of the time when my environment changes and I feel the need to change how I am carrying.

With young kids around the house (9 & 16 now) and in and out of vehicles it just seems more responsible to me. But that just me I guess. If I was older, retired, no one around maybe I'd feel differently but then I would worry about the day the grand kids came to visit too so I don't know that I would. My 9 yo couldn't rack a 1911 if she wanted to. I like knowing that.

Anyway. Thats me.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:12 PM

They were 10 yards deep down my driveway. Too narrow to turn around anyway.

I've never liked enclosed places, always thought more spread-out farmsteads were better looking than ones where everything was jumbled tight against each other. I grew up in town but never felt enclosed, maybe because the wide-open country was just a few minutes away or I would go visit my relatives on their farms. Maybe its just a forest vs open plains thing.

Enjoy the way you live there Sgt C and I'll enjoy the way I live here!

P.S. For all you guys that walk around locked and cocked, you have a 2nd mag on you as well in case your burn through the first one...? I've heard that in many encounters that a lot of rounds can get fired but the number of hits is a lot less.

Off to work
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
They were 10 yards deep down my driveway. Too narrow to turn around anyway.

I've never liked enclosed places, always thought more spread-out farmsteads were better looking than ones where everything was jumbled tight against each other. I grew up in town but never felt enclosed, maybe because the wide-open country was just a few minutes away or I would go visit my relatives on their farms. Maybe its just a forest vs open plains thing.

Enjoy the way you live there Sgt C and I'll enjoy the way I live here!

P.S. For all you guys that walk around locked and cocked, you have a 2nd mag on you as well in case your burn through the first one...? I've heard that in many encounters that a lot of rounds can get fired but the number of hits is a lot less.

Off to work

Always carry a spare mag or two. Good for extra ammo, plus if a mag malfunctions, I can change out.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:42 PM

CZ P01 DA long trigger ready to go

Had a mexican guy outside one of my barns on one of those old mini bikes. Pulling the rope to start it. Wife saw him there and yelled at him to get away. He said he took a shortcut. ''first time last time '' is what he said. Neighbors know now. I wasn't home so we had a talk about her needing to carry her pistol ALL the time.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 12:53 PM

CZ-75, best thing to come out of eastern Europe, cocked and locked 16+1 of 124gr HST 9mm ready to go . For around my property I keep a CZ EVO Scorpion "sub gun" on hand ,with a red dot sight and 35 rds. of 9mm. It sends the message " I came to play".

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:35 PM

I hope slydogx doesn’t stop and ask for directions during his trip down there. Cripes! Lol
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:41 PM

Lol Jurassic, if I had the option (I think I should) I would carry with one in the chamber, safety on and I would train regular.
These folks are just exercising a right we all ought to have.

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:50 PM

Ohio Boy, I have 3 kids 7-10 years old and still keep one chambered. They know the rules and gun safety and won't touch my guns without my permission and being next to them. My dad was how you are he would never keep any gun loaded unless we were hunting. That's why I said my dad would be upset if he was alive and knew I carried one chambered

X2 Delaware. I always carry at least one extra mag.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:55 PM

My kids know better too and I had rifles and shotguns propped in corners and never gave it much thought until my son brought a friend over that was memorized by them and I knew as soon as I turned my back he couldn't be trusted. That kind of changed my outlook.

Originally Posted by adam m
Ohio Boy, I have 3 kids 7-10 years old and still keep one chambered. They know the rules and gun safety and won't touch my guns without my permission and being next to them.

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
My kids know better too and I had rifles and shotguns propped in corners and never gave it much thought until my son brought a friend over that was memorized by them and I knew as soon as I turned my back he couldn't be trusted. That kind of changed my outlook.

Originally Posted by adam m
Ohio Boy, I have 3 kids 7-10 years old and still keep one chambered. They know the rules and gun safety and won't touch my guns without my permission and being next to them.

Understandable for sure.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 03:10 PM

Think I'd like to have an AR pistol with 30rd mags for those situations.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Think I'd like to have an AR pistol with 30rd mags for those situations.

I would just use the rifle stock if it was an option , but rifles must be unloaded in vehicles so brace it is .

my son keeps trying to talk me into a PCC in 9mm it would be nice but when you can build a AR for sub 400 dollars these days it seems really hard to justify a PCC that starts at 500

having shot a few fat coons with 9mm hp all be it from a pistol with a much shorter barrel than the 223 and 300 pistol and 223 soft point and shot a deer with 223 soft point , I will take 223 soft point any day for terminal effectiveness. cost is a bit more for ammo but not a lot.

Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 04:11 PM

Some do have braces.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 10:37 PM

Condition 1! Cocked and Locked, the way John Moses Browning designed it!
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Cocked N Locked - 07/29/19 10:50 PM

Sig 365 carried hot no safety with an extra mag. Sgt C. thats exactly how I would have handled it, except I'm never without a firearm, NEVER !! As for the 1911 cocked and locked it's a fine platform just dont like the extra step taking it off safety. Thats just a personal thing with me. Had an eye opening experience once, I had my finger resting on my mag release ( m16a2) got engaged and punched the mag release. Yep one round to start a firefight. I made a good reload. Thats why i don't care for the extra step under stress. Stay alert stay alive. Keep the edge SGT C. Airborne!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums