Home

trap gun

Posted By: Jacks

trap gun - 07/31/19 02:41 PM

what is a really good trap gun? would like to buy one, would like to stay under $ 3500

I will maybe also buy my wife a nice trap gun aslo. should women have a differnt model or size. she is a small women only 5' 2 and 120 pounds
Posted By: Taximan

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:43 PM

I assume you mean $350.00?
Posted By: BradinNY

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:45 PM

browning BT-99
Posted By: chas3457

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:48 PM

Model 12 Winchester.

My 'GO TO' clay grinder. grin

Hate over/unders! Nasty KICKING mechanisms. sick

Charlie
Posted By: nightlife

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan

While you can shoot trap with just about any shotgun a dedicated trap gun is going to run you some good money depending one what your preference is

Me i am old school and still shooting my dads model 12 pigeon grade made in the 50s or at least that’s when it was bought by him anyways

If I was going to get a new one I would look hard at the beretta 686 silver pigeon it’s in the 1500/2000 range the browning cynergy is another one that at least for me feels good
Posted By: white17

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:56 PM

I shoot the Beretta 686 and love it for everything !!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Model 12 Winchester.

Charlie

Now Charlie.....they aren't bad at all that way . I love my Beretta O/U . A handsome work of art . grin
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jacks
what is a really good trap gun? would like to buy one, would like to stay under $ 3500

I will maybe also buy my wife a nice trap gun aslo. should women have a differnt model or size. she is a small women only 5' 2 and 120 pounds

Now you stepped into my playground. I have shot more than 500,000 ATA registered targets and have probably had more than 50 trap guns. IMO really good trap guns start at about $12,000 but you can get a nice serviceable gun for less than that. Beware of used guns. Trap shooters are notorious for messing up the chokes, triggers,barrels and stocks. With your budget I'd take a hard look at these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGatAbYxpo Do not get a different model or size for your wife. At the most she will need a shorter stock . My wife is small and started shooting when she was about 40 years old. She never shot anything but the same full size guns that I shoot except for a shorter stock. We have both been on several All American Trap Teams so I know a little about getting it done. If you really get into trap shooting (15,000+ targets a year) you will need to consider a high end gun or two.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 03:35 PM

Perrazzi tm1, they're still out there . Most are 34in but iused to have a 32in and it left nothing but a puff of dust when I did my part.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BradinNY
browning BT-99

I shot a BT-99 for years and even though they are infinitely adjustable, I could never get it set up to where I could hit consistently. I always did much better with my Browning Lightning O/U (also a dedicated trap gun). It just fit me better. I consistently do even better with my field grade Remington 332 O/U. So that is what I mostly shoot trap (and hunt) with.

I guess whatever gun fits you is the one you're going to shoot the best. The problem will be figuring that out before you plunk down your cash.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:01 PM

Whatever fits you the best! I have seen a guy with a old beat to heck 870 shoot better then a guy with a expensive trap gun.

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:15 PM

No I mean 3,500. So 5 bills under 4K
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Whatever fits you the best! I have seen a guy with a old beat to heck 870 shoot better then a guy with a expensive trap gun.

exactly , don't be afraid to put a Morgan pad on your gun or do stock work

only two things matter in trap , your pattern and how the gun fits you ok maybe a 3rd I watch kids get recoil sensitive lat in a round they start off great and then start flinching.

good pattern , good fit and not going to beat you up so decent recoil pad and a little weight.

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jacks

No I mean 3,500. So 5 bills under 4K

It's not about the money that's to impress the other shooters mostly. Fit is the key, if you throw shot off target and can't line up the same every time it's a waste of money. The birds going away from you and the right to left ones are not the same angle so the less adjustment it requires to aim the less chance for errors. IMO

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Law Dog

exactly , don't be afraid to put a Morgan pad on your gun or do stock work

only two things matter in trap , your pattern and how the gun fits you ok maybe a 3rd I watch kids get recoil sensitive lat in a round they start off great and then start flinching.

good pattern , good fit and not going to beat you up so decent recoil pad and a little weight.

Yep you don't need high power shells at the 16 yard line after 400 rounds in a shoot it gets tender on the shoulder!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BradinNY
browning BT-99

X2. Great gun
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Model 12 Winchester.

Charlie

O/U is all I shoot. Love them, but I always have the forcing cone removed. Really helps on recoil.

I come through Dawson county once a year on my way home from hunting sharpies. Nice looking country.
Posted By: Montana jake

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 07:46 PM

If you are good shot You don’t need over 3-4 grand especially when your starting out. I highly recommend a browning xt. My dad is league champ 16 years straight. 3 time state champion. Shoots a browning xt combo. I rarely shoot trap but when i do, I shoot with my dads browning. Last time I shot I got a 94/100 shooting from the 21. Dad shoots from the 27 cuz he wins everything lol
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 07:53 PM

First question is do your plan on shooting doubles?

If yes a good combo set might be a better option for you.

You may consider an auto for your wife. Bt 99's are awesome guns and easy to sell if the desire to shoot wanes.

For $3500 there are lots of options BT's TM-1, most of the Berretta's and SKB line. Ljutics can be had for that money also, probably the most user friendly trap gun out there. .
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 08:45 PM

I would stay away from perazzi and look for a k32 over under or a older k80. If your serious about shooting your going to have to pay up for a good gun.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by gutthooked
I would stay away from perazzi and look for a k32 over under or a older k80. If your serious about shooting your going to have to pay up for a good gun.

A lot of very good trap shooters would disagree with that statement. If I were buying a new combo trap gun today it would be a Perazzi. K32s haven't been made for about 40 years and good ones are getting hard to find. Gotta remember that the K guns are based on the 90 year old remingtion 32 + lots of them blow up.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: trap gun - 07/31/19 10:33 PM

I'm taking a model 12 trap to the gun show to sale this weekend. I've got a few others to hunt with and don't have a place to shoot trap. I hear they are good trap guns though.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 12:03 AM

For what you have budgeted, you could probably get a BT99 for yourself and your wife.
They do make a micro model with a shorter stock for smaller statured shooters.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 01:06 AM

How about a Remington 3200 if you can find one. Discontinued from production in the 80's

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 02:15 AM

Thanks guys, now I have the info to go shopping
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 02:16 AM

Around here a "nice" used BT can be bought for $900-$1000....and sell it for near that in 5 years .....My next purchase will be a XT combo, looking at couple now $2700-$3000 range.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 03:10 AM

if possible go to a larger local club. Most shooters are more than helpful when it comes to letting you shoulder their guns to get a feel for what you or your wife might feel more comfortable with.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: trap gun - 08/01/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Perrazzi tm1, they're still out there . Most are 34in but iused to have a 32in and it left nothing but a puff of dust when I did my part.

This, and a SKB are what I used back in the day........ www.gunsamerica.com will let you shop places nationwide.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums