Home

Hog trap

Posted By: Ark Trapper

Hog trap - 08/01/19 12:13 AM

Critique my set of the pic dosen't show up can someone help. Thankd.
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 02:35 AM

Posting these for AT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 02:40 AM

Have you been prebaiting and monitoring your trap with a camera?
I would suggest a couple more posts at the door. The will stress that past of the trap the hardest.

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 02:46 AM

Thanh you so much for the help!!! I have all 3 doors wired open. I have the center door set up on a root type trigger my plan is to unwired the two out side doors tomorrow so they are working then on Friday I plan to unwired the center door. My hope is I will get most of the little ones in the trap before the root stick triggers. Then any larger hogs on the outside can still get in any of the three doors. Any suggestions this is my first attempt at this I happened on to a large litter on my brother's place last night I killed 3 piglets then I could heard the big one in the brush but could never see them
Posted By: KB64

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 02:50 AM

How tall are your panels ? Need to be 60" minimum. Watched a 200+ boar almost clear 60" panels.

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 02:51 AM

Just found them last night we built the trap today and baited it I put two cameras on the trap

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 03:03 AM

Yes they are 5' panels. Am I overthinking this w the extra trigger or will it help

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 03:07 AM

I have limited experience with the rooter trigger, and didn't have very good results when I tried it. One of the things I learned was that the hogs would go straight to some thing new and trigger the trap before many could enter.

I have sense built a control box to remotely trigger my traps and use a Spartan game camera to watch.

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 03:09 AM

I think one trigger is going to be enough.

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 03:09 PM

Thanks for the advice last night anyone else
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 03:13 PM

I saw a trap on one of the outdoor channels where the pen dropped down surrounding and trapping the hogs. They were catching 20-30 at a time.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 05:12 PM

How you place your bait is very important. I would recommend placing less corn at the door and lead them to oneside or back with a pile. lead corn to the trigger to a small amount at trigger. The Idea is to get the wad feeding where the corn is easiest to eat. THe smaller pigs will be forced away from the pile by the older ones when they come. The smaller pigs will then fire the trigger most of the timewith the whole bunch in the pen.

The doors I made in the past had the trigger right on the door. My first customer caught 24 the first time it was set. He bought 3 more doors. He has about 1200 acres. I was told they feed deer in the pens. If hogs start feeding in the pens, they just bait and set the door. Said they haven't had a problem now for 8 years. Another man told me he caught 74 off of his lease the first year, part time.

I don't make them now. They were expensive to make.
Posted By: gregh

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 05:17 PM

2x on what Kirk said

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 05:30 PM

You can build an automatic gate with a cellular gate controller. They're less than $100 on amazon. But it requires seperate sim cards for the camera and gate
EDIT-the setup I looked at earlier is no longer listed. I had found the plans on one of the hog forums.

I purchased a commercial trap rather than build my own because I wanted to offer contract trapping. Figured it would be easier to sell my service if I didnt have a homemade setup.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 05:38 PM

Here is one of the videos of a catch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PulBVbm-gDs

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 10:09 PM

Thank you the advice makes sense and I appreciate it

Re: Hog trap - 08/01/19 10:29 PM

I got pics of 2 large suckling and one dry sow about 0100 then of a boar about daylight they were all at the gate but none committed to the trap. I didn't get a single pic of the piglets. How long does the prevailing last?
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 01:38 AM

just curious if anyone has tried the corn soaked in diesel fuel for bait? a buddy told me the coon and deer wont bother the bait, but the hogs seem to love it.
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 01:44 AM

I like to rig the doors so that they run to a trip line in the back side of the corral. That way there several in the trap before the doors drop. Around here, they know what traps are and usually only the young ones will push in there.

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 02:19 AM

Corn, beer and strawberry jello packets. Let soak in a closed bucket for a few days.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 02:41 AM

Them Arkansas hogs must cant climb. These pineywoods rooters down here will climb out of a trap without a top.

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 02:54 AM

They might that's why I am asking. Lol the panels are 60" tall should I go higher near the door? I have been told that I need to add post on both sides so I will do that. I will also make my root stick shorter and place a larger bait pile off to the side. Anything else??
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 03:30 AM

Hogs in some areas dont climb...others areas they do. Probably depends on amount of trapping pressure and wildness of the hogs. It will be difficult to put a wire top on large pen type traps. Many around here use traps that look like large walk-in traps. But, keep in mind that deer and bears cant escape either.

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 03:42 AM

I don't know of any real trapping effort in this area. Other than "farmer john" attempting to use the large box traps and they are not successful
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Hog trap - 08/02/19 10:35 PM

Cellular gates are way more efficient and have less refusals

Re: Hog trap - 08/04/19 04:54 AM

Had 3 large wet sows and 13 piglets in th trap at the same time last night 1 dry sow and 1 boar showed up latter.....sooo at least I have them coming in know.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Hog trap - 08/04/19 11:09 AM

pictures please
Posted By: gregh

Re: Hog trap - 08/04/19 01:01 PM

You need to have you a holding pen at the rear of the trap, so you can hold the ones you catch in it . That makes the next batch easier to catch the next night when they come up and see there running mates in the back.
Posted By: Arkansasbowhunte

Re: Hog trap - 08/05/19 01:17 PM

I have been using a heart trap and it works really well. I also have a 10x10 portable trap that does good work. I don’t use a root trigger but fishing line. Has stretch and allow the hits to really get in trap before triggering it

Re: Hog trap - 08/11/19 05:42 AM

Well I armed my trap for the first time tonight.....success. 13 caught. Very happy with that. thanks for all the input

Re: Hog trap - 08/11/19 03:56 PM

Nothing this morning resetting tonight
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Hog trap - 08/11/19 04:27 PM

Good luck Ark. Did you get any pictures?

Re: Hog trap - 08/11/19 07:15 PM

Posting this for Ark Trapper.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hog trap - 08/19/19 02:23 AM

[Linked Image]
Caught the boar this morning that completes this entire sounder very happy with the outcome. that to all that offered advise.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums