Home

Honey Bees

Posted By: squacks

Honey Bees - 08/02/19 04:58 PM

I Have a stand of Anise(lavender) Hyssops out in my wild garden. Today, it is covered in bees. Their little leg pouches are puffed out with yellow pollen. I can hear a steady hum from them and it struck me that Years ago it was pretty common to find a bunch of honey bees working a tree or patch of wild flowers. Not so much these days.
It's a soothing sort of sound.
I have never kept a hive of bees but have always been interested in them. I even subscribed to the American bee journal many years ago.
At present, the bees are working in the hyssops, purple cone flower and culvers roots. The hyssops are a bi-annual and bloom the first year from seed. They grow on most soils and can stand some pretty dry dirt. One plant produces a bunch of flowering stalks. The seed is cheap. I would recommend it to folks who keep bees.

https://www.prairienursery.com/store/seeds/lavender-hyssop-seed-agastache-foeniculum#.XURsEehKhPY
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Honey Bees - 08/02/19 10:29 PM

Around here, in Pa, there’s not much nectar available for the next 3-4 weeks. The plants you mentioned, along with Joe Pie weed, and the remenants of white clover. Everything changes once the goldenrod comes on. Then it’s game on.
Posted By: run

Re: Honey Bees - 08/03/19 01:41 PM

We still have a couple thistles in bloom. That makes excellent honey.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Honey Bees - 08/03/19 07:41 PM

we weren't able to buy any nucs around here! called all of the suppliers and they all had NONE
Posted By: Netman

Re: Honey Bees - 08/03/19 11:32 PM

I looked at several of my hives today seeing if they were bringing in anything on their legs. They were. Lots! Some bees had orange colored and some red.
I’ve got a couple of nasty bee hives. I looked at my mild bees from a couple feet away. I was about ten feet away from the Vikings and got popped on the shoulder.
I have broken the Vikings down in nuc boxes and requeened them. They killed all the queens but one. So I’m going to let them requeen their selves. Mean biotches.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Honey Bees - 08/04/19 02:40 AM

I found a swarm in the tubing of my boat hitch the other day. At night, there was a huge ball of them at ball end of hitch. During the day, a lot of them would be foraging. Wife had a friend from work that tends bees to come and capture all they could. They were really excited. I was wondering if they were wild bees that came here or if they left from someone elses hive.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums