Home

Who's ready for deer season?

Posted By: RM trapper

Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 02:23 AM

I love to trap but deer hunting is my first passion, starting running a couple cameras around here at home(east Tenn) about a week ago and just got back from my Illinois lease checking cams I'd left out since March, the weeds had overgrown most cams but did have a few good pics. Here's a few from my cams. If you have any post them [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
First one is a Tenn buck and other two are Illinois
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 02:30 AM

Nice bucks.
I need fresh backstraps, I’m ready..

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 02:35 AM

Yea grisseldog I usually try to get a few does for the freezer before I start chasing the big boys hard. I have enough meat from last season to last til season opens but we've about eat it all
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 02:35 AM

2nd and 3rd pics look like the same buck
Nice buck
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 02:54 AM

I haven't started running any cams yet but will here pretty soon. I will post what I get but dont think I will have any quite that nice.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:09 AM

Been shooting the bow and working on getting into better shape for the season. Been going out west and hunting mule deer the last couple of years. After 30 years of whitetails I'm really loving the open spaces and spot and stalk.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:11 AM

I'm ready for anything that takes place in colder weather.

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:26 AM

Lol, kyron4 I'm in the same boat I'm sick of the hot weather. And also my rich customers start heading back to Florida around Oct and my phone quits ringing every 5 minutes. May be part of the reason I love deer season so much. The big bucks are just a plus

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:31 AM

Watching this one in a bean field on our lease, he looked like a 170+ and had another big mature buck with him, the pic is from my phone looking thru my binoculars at 400 yds so it's not to clear [Linked Image]
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:37 AM

Wasn't that you that went by a couple evenings ago, and waved ? I saw a couple of nice ones the other nite on myself. Lots of sets of twins also.
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:38 AM

Top 2 bucks on my hit list so far.

Attached picture 44284103-AC00-4517-80FB-0988B01CF4B4.jpeg
Attached picture E98ED702-1B9E-436D-92A4-348F1442F8DE.jpeg
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:25 PM

[Linked Image]

No Tag here, but I did get to do a little looking around the other day.

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:32 PM

Yea LB it was and I meant to swing by one evening to chat and didn't get around to it, we saw some really nice ones this trip, and I've got enough chigger bites that I look like I've got the chicken pox

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:32 PM

Railroader that one is a giant, hope you get to put your tag on it

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:33 PM

Can you not get a tag every year yamacat?
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 03:40 PM

No. It’s tough to draw a Tag for Arizona in most areas.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 04:35 PM

im always ready - even thought they aren't showing themselves this year.
seeing plenty of deer, but young bucks and does.

still hard to bit watching the sun rise on a crisp October morning...

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 05:10 PM

That's a fact ranger, I love watching everything come to life at daybreak from 25 ft in a tree
Posted By: Marty

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 06:39 PM

9/16 here, I need some venison..... smile
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader

Dandies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 06:53 PM

My freezer said it's ready for me to be ready. grin
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/05/19 11:40 PM

Just today a customer gave me a bunch of frozen Elk and speed goat back-straps and some elk burger. But yep After the move, I am going to get a freezer and have some rounds for deer loaded. I am ready.

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Railroader that one is a giant, hope you get to put your tag on it

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by Railroader

Dandies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah thanks. I hope i can get an opportunity at him. One of the biggest bucks i’ve ever had on camera!

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 01:41 AM

Yea Railroader I had a buck like that on camera last season and I hunted hard for him, but the neighbor got him. I was disappointed but the guy was a great guy that hunts the right way so I was happy for him. Maybe you can make it happen. The one I was chasing was a 190+ and I'd say the one you got is all of that. Good luck. I ended up getting a 193" in shotgun so it all worked out

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Yea Railroader I had a buck like that on camera last season and I hunted hard for him, but the neighbor got him. I was disappointed but the guy was a great guy that hunts the right way so I was happy for him. Maybe you can make it happen. The one I was chasing was a 190+ and I'd say the one you got is all of that. Good luck. I ended up getting a 193" in shotgun so it all worked out

Thanks RM trapper and congrats on the 193 incher!
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by YamaCat
No. It’s tough to draw a Tag for Arizona in most areas.

That's a bummer
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 04:46 AM

Shoot, I'm so ready for deer that I'm ready for squirrel!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 09:43 AM

Time sure does go by quick. Got a new recurve but haven't taken the time to get my arrows right. This weekend ill have to make sure I set those up so they fly like darts.

Haven't done the scouting that I would've liked either for deer or coon. Summer has kept me silly busy.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 12:42 PM

I could have started in July for roe bucks here, but I'll start one Thursday with the bow. The rut is on now and I've got two nice bucks in the neighborhood. They usually come to a doe call well, but we'll see.

Pete

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 01:02 PM

How much does a mature roe buck weigh Pete? And good luck
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 01:02 PM

Just fletched up a dozen arrows need to get the bow out and get limbered up.
J
Posted By: eric space

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 03:46 PM

Here in Jersey we hunt a little differently than most places. Getting ready for deer season means taking the screen out of the upstairs bedroom window. Advance work means clearing out 2 shooting lanes. Don't usually shoot if the grandkids are on the swings.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 05:02 PM

Railroader, Don't know when your bow season comes in but Please don't waste a deer of a lifetime by killing him in velvet !!!!! ( I know some like them) Do you have any pics of him during daylight. If you think he will stay in that area until season put up your LADDER or LOCK on stands super early . DON"T USE CLIMBER !!! They are an alarm clock for wiley old smart bucks that hear the clank of you climbing the tree. STAY away for at least 2 weeks. Slip in and kill him before he realizes he is being hunted............

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 05:29 PM

Railroader, Don't know when your bow season comes in but Please don't waste a deer of a lifetime by killing him in velvet !!!!! ( I know some like them) Do you have any pics of him during daylight. If you think he will stay in that area until season put up your LADDER or LOCK on stands super early . DON"T USE CLIMBER !!! They are an alarm clock for wiley old smart bucks that hear the clank of you climbing the tree. STAY away for at least 2 weeks. Slip in and kill him before he realizes he is being hunted............

Had a few pics of him around sunrise and most are just after legal hours in the evening. Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 09:12 PM

RM Trapper

They are pretty small. The biggest one I killed in 9 years I could drag uphill with one hand. I've never weighed one but I'd guess 75-80 pounds. Many are 50-60 pounds.

Good eating though.

Pete
Posted By: trappertom222

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 09:13 PM

You are using the climber wrong if your clanging it................ If a guy knows what he's doing you can get up in the tree with less noise than climbing up a ladder. Just take your time and move slow.
Posted By: Metalbender

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 09:39 PM

All this talk of deer season well we just ate backstraps on the grill and local sweet corn, it was real good. I have maybe a pack or two left and we will be out but on the other hand the season is approaching fast amd we are preparing for the days afield
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/06/19 10:03 PM

I'm in the process of getting ready now that i'm retired laugh
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Who's ready for deer season? - 08/07/19 10:35 AM

These aren’t the biggest bucks but they’ll suit me I’m not picky

Attached picture 0DEE0321-7B3A-409E-9D50-315C78BD3FE9.jpeg
Attached picture BFBE4865-C939-48C5-8021-9C3E0B9B8638.jpeg
© 2024 Trapperman Forums