Home

Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting?

Posted By: BullOx

Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:13 PM

I think I want to get one for coyote hunting, opinions?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:17 PM

A 22 mag will kill a coyote under certain circumstances,but not the best choice.Go with a centerfire.
Even on our big northern foxes you need a well placed shot or you will lose some.
I have harvested quite a few fox in winter with the 22mag by squeeking them out but never took a shot over 50 yards.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:20 PM

Get a .223 they have some good ones that are cheap lots of ammo options.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:31 PM

I wouldn't use it for coyotes but its a great deer gun.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:36 PM

i used one for a period of time at night. at that time our night option was shotgun or rimfire. it will work but i wouldnt call it great---in fact about mid way thru the 2nd season i switched to shotgun and kept that set up for a real long time. any reason you are considering it versus something else?
Posted By: boncoon

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/06/19 11:37 PM

I have a 22 mag, never shot a coyote yet, but have no doubt at 50 to 75 yards with a 50 gra in hollow point dead coyote. Check out some of the u tube videos some shots around 125 yards.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 12:17 AM

I've seen coyotes shot with a 22 mag. It can be done but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 12:33 AM

...a 22mag has taken every big and small game animal in North America at some time or another lol
Posted By: danvee

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 12:34 AM

like using a finishing hammer for framing a house. I know there was a woman in Montana that killed a grizzly bear with one but not the best choice unless the shot is perfect you will loose your coyote. I have shot them with 22-250 and 223 and lost some and trailed a bunch due to a bad shot. Get a center fire think 22-250, 223, 240 25-06 unless your sitting in a tree stand and shooting 50 yards or less it 22 mag is a bad choice.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 01:14 AM

Savage .223 with a scope $300 @ Cabela's this weekend.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 01:25 AM

Killed a lot with my .22 mag over the years.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 01:30 AM

With a heavy 40-. 50 grain bullet at close range, no problem

Stay away from light ( varmint) bullets.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 01:37 AM

I carry one all the time, Iwould recommend using Winchester FMJ so you can get as much punch as possible. We use to use one to butcher beef, federal, and hornady would get stopped on the skull the FMJ would penetrate decent till they didn’t, I think they changed powder or something didnt pack as much of a punch, now a 44 mag with soft nose puts them down pretty quick.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 03:14 AM

The problem with using a 22 magnum on a coyote is the importance of proper shot placement to dump it right there.
Coyotes, in my experience, do not often give you enough time to get into proper shooting form to make that precise shot before they move off.
Its hard enough to shoot them with a centerfire. They seem to be able to hear when you have 2 1/2 pounds of pressure exerted on a 3 pound trigger, and move off on me. smile
Deer? 22 magnum all day long. They are stupid and hold still for you.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 03:21 AM

I have been calling with a 22 cheetah custom remington lately. Sure has been treating me fine. It dumps em.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 04:11 AM

Boy there was a time when my father's old .22 mag dropped just about everything I wanted it to. Saw him shoot plenty of coyotes growing up with it. I wouldn't make it my first choice at all anymore. Makes one of the better coon guns I've had my hands on.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 10:49 AM

With a .22 mag you have better suppressor options

I been wanting one. CZ has a semi. The 512 I think it is. $500.

But like said above you can get a Savage or Ruger American coyote chambered rifle for $300.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 10:53 AM

Have been wanting a CZ 22mag semiautomatic. A buddy just bought one after we had talked about it last year at camp. I shot it and it was extremely accurate and handled easily and take down to clean was easy. I just ordered one.
Posted By: Chukar

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 11:00 AM

Another vote for. 223, have a Ruger Hawkeye
I have used a ,22 mag once, and it required 2 follow up shots.
First shot was at around 70 yards, using 50 grain HP
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 11:00 AM

I have a 22 hornet that is a dandy fox gun. I have taken coyotes with it but have watched more of them run off, not taking the shot, because of its limited range and the need to head or heart a coyote. A shot through the lungs will kill one yes, but they are tough. If it runs 400 yards are you going to recover it? Maybe sometimes. If you only shoot when your sure you will punch a hole in its heart or its brain it will work. Just be sure you have the resolve to not shoot if your not sure. However far you can reliably hit the BOTTOM of a pop can is your range.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 01:36 PM

The smallest I have consistently used is a .22 hornet. It's OK and it will do the job but your range is limited to about 150 yards. I would think the .22 mag would be similar. The hornet puts a 50 cent piece sized hole in them.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 02:36 PM

CZ makes a great gun.
I own a couple,one being the semi 22 mag.
Another reliable 22 mag I own is the ruger 96
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 02:41 PM

Been thinking pretty seriously about the CZ .22 mag, primarily for coon. Always wanted a .22 mag but never had one.

Moosetrot
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 04:28 PM

I used to use one then switched to .223
Much better.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/07/19 05:46 PM

As with a any caliber shot placement is crucial. But all in all a 22mag is a great round if you stick with 40gr hp. Heart shot they will run a bit. I still call allot with my 22 but only head or neck shots are taken. In thicker places there is no need for a center fire. Shotgun or rimfire for me. In open country the 223 comes out though

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/09/19 11:28 PM

Just got my FFG when I got home. Darn good article about squirrel hunting and the .22 mag.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 04:11 PM

.223 with 55-50 grain nosler
Posted By: Zim

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Been thinking pretty seriously about the CZ .22 mag, primarily for coon. Always wanted a .22 mag but never had one.

Moosetrot

Moosey, I have a CZ 452 American in 22 mag and it is a fine weapon. I had a little work done on the trigger and that really made a difference. Very accurate, my favorite rimfire. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x 9 on it.
Zim
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Semi-auto .22 mag is the ideal coon calling gun IMO. You need good knock down power the mag provides and the semi-auto for quick follow up shots or multiple fast moving targets.

.22 mag is not and has never been a coyote gun. It'll kill them but you'll wound more than you kill unless you just don't shoot at them beyond 50 yards standing still.
Posted By: Saskayote

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 05:30 PM

Heck. I use my 22 long rifle for calling coyotes regularly. But I hunt different, and under 50 yards is the expectation. For me, 22 mag is lots of gun. If you are not used to close range hunting, I suppose it is anemic?

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Saskayote
Heck. I use my 22 long rifle for calling coyotes regularly. But I hunt different, and under 50 yards is the expectation. For me, 22 mag is lots of gun. If you are not used to close range hunting, I suppose it is anemic?

I don't take far shots either (sub 50 90% of the time) but don't hunt/call yotes.

Elaborate more about having them come in close.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 06:53 PM

When calling coyotes it is time for the Tikka T3 Lite in .223. Absolute tack driver. Might be looking at the CZ's when gun show season rolls around. I really want to try coon calling this year.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Saskayote

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by Saskayote

I don't take far shots either (sub 50 90% of the time) but don't hunt/call yotes.

Elaborate more about having them come in close.

If they don’t come to within 50 yards, I don’t shoot. I try to set up so they HAVE to come in close obviously. I do have a .222 and a .22-250, but my hunting style and desires are such that I crave up close hunting, knowing I outwitted an animal, not simply kill it because it came within 300 yards. Just the way I have become. Then I take it one step further, and use a lakefield single shot. The one I got for Christmas when I was 8. I dunno, I enjoy it.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
The problem with using a 22 magnum on a coyote is the importance of proper shot placement to dump it right there..

this^^^, so I'm a .218 Bee or .22 Hornet guy.
Posted By: YoteChaser1968

Re: Who uses a 22 magnum for coyote hunting? - 08/11/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BullOx
I think I want to get one for coyote hunting, opinions?

I use a 22 mag because in my county in PA it is shotgun or rim-fire rifle only -- other counties allow center fire and then it is my 22-250. Prefer the 22 mag to reach-out to 70+ yards in the rim-fire only county. I have never lost one with the 22 mag. I shoot the Hornady 33gr. V-Max in the long gun and CCI 40 gr. in my revolver.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums