Home

TV huntin show hands

Posted By: Savell

TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:37 AM

...I was watching some huntin shows off of my satellite dish this evening...a lot of these boys act like they’ve never killed anything before lol....either that or they’re on chrystal meth
Posted By: 10bands

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:41 AM

Most of those shows are pretty odd. What's with the big hard side plastic case with 7 knives, two saws, a scissors and an unknown thing just to gut a buck?
Posted By: Savell

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:44 AM

...yessir...seems like all kinds of gadgets and a farm supply store are needed to kill a deer lol

....then the hardware store to process it lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:48 AM

Those idiots don't know how to hunt-that's why they have to pay someone to take them hunting.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:50 AM

And its always on a stocked private ranch........
Posted By: white17

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:57 AM

Back 6 or 7 years ago I was having radiation treatments in Anchorage. It was the first time since 1973 that I had seen TV.

MY GOD that hunting stuff was disgusting !

The radiation treatments were more pleasant than those high fence TV shootings of B O R I N G whitetail hunting !
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:25 AM

One darn long commercial if you ask me, where's the show?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:29 AM

The bear whisperer...crystal meth.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:33 AM

I have never watched a hunting show, and don't plan on it either.

I will shoot a nice big fawn right in the side of the head, 'cause they taste good, and I don't eat the head. You'll not see that on a huntin' show, lol.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:36 AM

Lol Les!
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:43 AM

The only show I watch is Carnivore on the Pursuit channel.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:45 AM

I'd watch Les hunting if he was on TV.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I'd watch Les hunting if he was on TV.

Bambi Down!
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 05:08 AM

Bambi down, and tote it off like a small suitcase.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 09:36 AM

I don't watch tv. I have satellite tv because my wife watch's. I turned it off a few years ago. Came home one day it was back on. Some things are not worth fighting over so I am back to paying for commercials again. Those hunting shows are not good. For a lot of reasons. #1 reason is they promote antler worship. Antler worship is not doing anybody any good.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 09:49 AM

And oh the crap they peddle in those commercials. Scent blocker sprays, food plot seeds that are better than the competition at growing antlers, all kinds of latest gadgets and gimmicks.
Man when my dad was done logging at end of day, in his bright blue sweatshirt that stunk to high heaven of chainsaw oil and sweat, he'd shimmy up a tree and pull up his #40 daimon howitt recurve bow with two cedar arrows attached to face of it with two wooden clothespins and black electrical tape (that was seriously his "quiver" for a second shot if needed. All hand-sharpened bear heads too. That guy always brought us home a deer for the freezer, year after year consistently. You could only get one tag back then in Nebraska and there were darn few deer in our end of the state too.
He didn't even like camo...said if you just sit still enough and get up in the tree high enough you are fine.
No fancy pin sights, no nothing. Even his recurve would be considered low power by today standards but he said key was to get a good spot, have razor sharp arrows, and dont move once you get up in the tree.
He laughed at deer hunting shows. Made fun of compound bows too, said they were using block and tackle bows.
His techniques wouldn't work today for a tv show... nobody to sponsor him.
Jim
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 09:57 AM

It's all about the money.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
It's all about the money.

And the ego
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 10:53 AM

White's fortunate when I was going through chemo and radiation the cancer center I was at didn't have any outdoor show channels to watch. Generally when I watch hunting shows it's to see the country their hunting in since chances are I'll never get there to see it myself.
Wild boar fever or what ever it's called I get a kick out of watching because the main fella is a darn good shot and I can appreciate that many of the other shows are a commercial loop for what ever product is sponsoring the show .
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 10:56 AM

I watched a few years ago, didn't care to watch any after that.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:07 AM

There are a lot of good ones, there is actually only a few that
Hunt high fence and they pretty much always tell you when it
Is. I like Canadian whitetail, mossy oak short films and any
Of the drury brothers shows.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:23 AM

Only one I ever enjoyed was Jim Shocky’s “Uncharted “. The Cinematography was top notch. He’s hunted in some beautiful places.
Posted By: k snow

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:26 AM

I think the commercialization of hunting (mainly through the shows) has ruined the traditions of hunting. Now its all antlers, antlers, antlers. Once a year or so I may try to watch one or two, but I usually can't stomach more than a few minutes. I have no desire to see "whackin' and stackin', pilin' em up, slammin' em down, etc.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:40 AM

Shockey's good,really like Meateater
Posted By: pcr2

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les

I will shoot a nice big fawn right in the side of the head, 'cause they taste good, and I don't eat the head. You'll not see that on a huntin' show, lol.

i'd watch it and those spots come off with the hide.
Posted By: sako22

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 12:01 PM

Meat eater is a good show. Relentless pursuit with Tim wells is a good show also. That man is deadly with a bow! Most other shows aren't fit to watch
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 12:03 PM

i agree on meateater being a good show.

I'd like to have dinner with that guy just once
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Only one I ever enjoyed was Jim Shocky’s “Uncharted “. The Cinematography was top notch. He’s hunted in some beautiful places.

Yep.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 01:19 PM

All hunting shows are one big advertisement. I cant stand to watch that crap. And Savells right......the people on the shows act like they have never hunted b4.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 01:38 PM

I quit watching the hunting infomercials years ago....just not at all entertaining to me.

That said, I have heard good things about The Hunting Public's deer tour on Youtube. My son watches it and has got quite a few folks I know hooked on it. A group of fellas hunting public land. Guess I need to check it out for myself.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
All hunting shows are one big advertisement. I cant stand to watch that crap. And Savells right......the people on the shows act like they have never hunted b4.

Not true.I used to watch hunting shows years ago but lost interest because of content.Then our carrier dropped the channels that carry them and that was that,didn't watch them for years.Then I saw a episode of Meateater,if you say that show is like all the rest you haven't watched it.Loved his show where he trapped beaver in Wyoming then brought it to the kitchen where he prepared it for supper.His shows almost always ,if not always, have recipes of some type,whether in the field or at home.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 01:57 PM

I have to say meatear is an awesome show and I would love to hunt and eat with that guy just once. And Tim wells is amazing with a bow and arrow but as far as the rest go they can kick rocks in my opinion.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:00 PM

I can't stand em. Besides the focus on antlers, there's no detail. I wanna know about the area they're hunting, perhaps with a satellite photo of the area, why they picked the tree they're in, how they found the trail they're on, etc etc. More scouting, less hunting. Just like real life. And less focus on deer, more on other critters. I'd love to watch a squirrel hunting show on some public land outside a big city.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:29 PM

I liked to watch Curt Gowdy and the American Sportsmen.

Posted By: Pike River

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

And these shows are polluting hunting. You make a commment like that on most hunting forums they'd run you upbthe flag pole. I agree, head shot is the best shot and younger meat is tastier.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Not true.I used to watch hunting shows years ago but lost interest because of content.Then our carrier dropped the channels that carry them and that was that,didn't watch them for years.Then I saw a episode of Meateater,if you say that show is like all the rest you haven't watched it.Loved his show where he trapped beaver in Wyoming then brought it to the kitchen where he prepared it for supper.His shows almost always ,if not always, have recipes of some type,whether in the field or at home.

Give it time and that meateater guy will get more sponsors and that show too will turn into an advertisement.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:28 PM

Steve Rinella is the real deal.

I have listened to a bunch of podcasts of his, and he is extremely intelligent and has an incredible memory. Lots of experience also in a wide variety of things. Never seen meat eater, but any podcasts he is in are great.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:30 PM

I ll have to try a watch meat eater. Every once in awhile I'll see Dan Fitzgerald's show always enjoyed him. The only show I will try and watch is F&T trapping during the fall and winter
J

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:33 PM

I realize sponsors pay their bills but there is more airtime of sales pitches that actually hunting.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:40 PM

For those that don't know,Steve Rinella is "Meateater".And before Meateater,he was the guy behind the show on the Travelchannel The Wild within ,that proved you could find something to eat anywhere,Whether the woods or a city park,or roadkill.Alot of the content was about hunting and preparing your game,but also common weeds,plants,fish,and fresh roadkill for tablefare.I don't know if true,but I was told the anti's ran his show off the Travel channel. While I don't agree with lumping all outdoorshows as garbage,I understand why so many are disgusted with the content,there seems to be a format that they follow and that's why they all seem to be the same.I've seen where one program will advertise as "something different,geared towards the first timer"then watch as their show is no different than the others.All i can say is Meateater is different,and he delivers.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:44 PM

Too many items they make it seem like you need to shoot a deer and way too many commercials. About 15 minutes of actual hunting and 15 minutes of commercials. You need to plant a food plot to attract the deer. In the deer stand, scent remover is a must. Mock scrapes are a necessity if you want to shoot a buck. There are several different scents you have to use for a proper buck scrape. Too many gadgets to dress out a deer. I still use a Kabar my dad bought for me my first year of deer hunting. The only scent I've ever used is real skunk urine as a cover scent.
Posted By: Doug66

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 03:53 PM

All of the antler worship has gotten me a lot of coyote work. That's the only thing good I have to say about that.
Posted By: Hern

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
One darn long commercial if you ask me, where's the show?

x2
If I do watch, it's the last 5-6 minutes. That's when they show the kill. The rest of the show is a long commercial.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 08:12 PM

no doubt Hern,i watch quite a few but usually just the last 5 min. unless its Shockey or Miranda.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:01 PM

Tv shows have been the death of trying to find hunting ground. They brag on a county or state for having "monster" bucks and then comes in the rich "dudes" and lease up the land.
Posted By: twild

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:16 PM

Only " Outdoor " show I never miss is the Mudbums, more of a catfishing show but normally have a trapping episode.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/08/19 11:29 PM

The best outdoor show ever is Land and Sea.
Its been on the air since 1964,and not only about hunting.
Posted By: trappercosmo

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/09/19 12:45 PM

dont get me started on hunting shows . i feel they are fuel for the antis and have driven up the cost of hunting equipment.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 09:59 AM

Haven't had cable in years but two I remember was Razor Dobbs who would hunt with a 10mm handgun and long bow, most all his shots were 20 yds or less, he did the early Yeti cooler ads, had a ponytail. Guy had no ego, didn't take himself to serious . Kind of a crazy loose cannon persona.

The other I liked was Tred Barta the guy had an ego but did it " the hard way, the Barta way". lol

Oh and there was Benny Spies , the kid in a old beat up motor home he called the toaster, and would drive around the country and hunt all kinds on game with local people, real down to earth stuff.

All others were all rock star egos and product placement. So over the top, yuppie hunting

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 10:07 AM

I used to like mutual of omahas wild kingdom but its not been on in a while
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 01:43 PM

I cant stand hunting shows. But I admit the only hunting show I would watch was Tred Barta. I dont remember the name of the show but he's just a regular guy who would shoot average animals with his longbow, and miss on a regular basis. And enjoy every minute of his hunt, successful or not. He had a severe stroke years ago but I think he's still around.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 02:16 PM

Western Hunter, the best hunting show 7 years now
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 04:21 PM

Meateater is one of 2-3 I can watch with the sound on. Usually have the television on mute if I’m watching. I don’t like hearing them say what a perfect shot they made as the animals run away shot in the morning and recovered in the dark. There’s a few good ones but not many. I always wonder how the geese hunters get sponsorship because most of the shooting is awful. See 5-6 guys racing to fire off 15-18 rounds for a couple geese most of the time. 3 1/2 inch magnums almost dislocating some guys shoulders while sitting in the middle of 24-2500 decoys. The celebration after they make the kill is annoying too. Nearly collapsing with adrenaline after smoking a deer from a tree stand at ten yards with a 300 win mag. I agree with those who say the shows mostly send the wrong message about hunters. I think if I did a 12 episode season showing the full years events it would be better than a lot of what’s on. Include more education and proper meat processing etc instead of the ads and emphasis on antler inches. Just for clarification I have no issues with a 300 win mag (my next gun) Just Used it for example.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 04:32 PM

If they showed real hunting it would be boring to watch. They have to be entertaining or they cant make any money selling advertising time. Its why all the trapping shows and life in the back country shows, are always full of some imminent danger or other.

Everything is spectacular or beautiful or magnificent. Pretty hard to broadcast that feeling of accomplishment you get from hours in the fur shed after a miserable day of weather on the trapline, or a day spent butchering. I like to look at stretchers full of just fleshed skins or hold the freezer door open for a second and look at all the meat I just put in it. That stuff, the real reward of an outdoor oriented lifestyle, you can't put on tv.

Re: TV huntin show hands - 08/10/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I used to like mutual of omahas wild kingdom but its not been on in a while

I will now push Jim out of the chopper onto that lion lets see what happens! LOL Old man Perkins got smart in his later years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums