Home

Andy's Speed Dip?

Posted By: Bigbuck

Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 01:11 AM

Ok I used Andy's Speed Dip on my muskrat traps 4 weeks ago, using Coleman fuel thinning it even more than recommended (not reg. gas) and the are still very tacky. Who can recommend what I could do? Should I buy more Coleman fuel to soak them in it & try to dissolve it and start over? I've never had this problem before.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 01:16 AM

I would just give them a quick dip in straight gas and then put them in the sun and wind see what they look like in a day or two..
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 01:17 AM

keep adding a little gas to your speed dip til you get where you want it
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 01:28 AM

be patient. its been too humid. do you have them outside in the sun?

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 03:40 AM

Yes they are in direct sunlight all day hanging on the clothesline
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 03:57 AM

I dip mine and hang then inside the hot barn a few days and they will still be tacky. One day laying outside on a concrete pad in full sun at 85* low humidity and they are bone dry and hot to the touch.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 04:31 AM

They will dry by Nov 1... not to worry
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 09:40 AM

That normal for lay out hot sun all day, I would bring them in an store indoors or where ever u normally stoe an fine by trapping season
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbuck
Ok I used Andy's Speed Dip on my muskrat traps 4 weeks ago, using Coleman fuel thinning it even more than recommended (not reg. gas) and the are still very tacky. Who can recommend what I could do? Should I buy more Coleman fuel to soak them in it & try to dissolve it and start over? I've never had this problem before.

You asked...so......
Quit using speed dip because dipping is the Only speed part
Now you wait
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 12:27 PM

Buy good quality mineral spirits. Not the cheap stuff. Test by wiping some on a piece of wood. Should make the wood look like you applied a finish for a few seconds. Then dry completely in a minute or less with no evidence you applied it. It is not all the same. Don't buy the cheap stuff. You can find it at Walmart occasionally but they mostly sell junk. Go to a dedicated paint store is best. Put two gallons of mineral spirits in a five gallon bucket. Add 3 cans of speed dip. Will dry in 3-4 days in cold weather even. Keep a good lid on it and it wont turn into a big lump after it sits a year either. You can dip a LOT of traps in it. Even new traps. New traps wont be black but it will inhibit rust.

I still dye with tannic acid for my dirt traps

dip is for water traps

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Buy good quality mineral spirits. Not the cheap stuff. Test by wiping some on a piece of wood. Should make the wood look like you applied a finish for a few seconds. Then dry completely in a minute or less with no evidence you applied it. It is not all the same. Don't buy the cheap stuff. You can find it at Walmart occasionally but they mostly sell junk. Go to a dedicated paint store is best. Put two gallons of mineral spirits in a five gallon bucket. Add 3 cans of speed dip. Will dry in 3-4 days in cold weather even. Keep a good lid on it and it wont turn into a big lump after it sits a year either. You can dip a LOT of traps in it. Even new traps. New traps wont be black but it will inhibit rust.

I still dye with tannic acid for my dirt traps

dip is for water traps

Good advice for next time, yes I been told before that Walmart stuff on some items or things like auto parts is cheap stuff, but those traps should be fine for in fall, I dip mine with old saved up leftover dip an mix it with latern fuel, pretty thin when dip awhile back
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 07:57 PM

If mine are tacky come trapping season, I just use em. They'll pick up dirt and such and won't be tacky anymore after the first day
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 08:00 PM

Coleman fuel and Andy Stoes black at about 5:1. No problem.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 08:13 PM

Off topic but I prefer using the oil based barn and fence paint. It dry's overnight, is cheaper and as
durable.

I don't cut it because I want it to be a medium to heavy coat and critters don't care if it runs. Paint does a good job of sealing whatever is underneath it.
Posted By: petehall

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/11/19 09:58 PM

I would say not enough thinner
Ive used Andys Speedy dip for at least 30 years
Never any issues except not enough thinner weather gasoline or lantern fuel
I can dip used traps mid season and set them in 4 days!!!!
I do well on coyotes so IT WORKS !!!!

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 12:24 AM

I had mix around 6-1 with latern fuel, there lil tacky yet from late may in humid hot weather but by fall good , I hung after dip 3 days in low mid 70 temps in shade
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 01:27 AM

I use Andy's. I dip early summer at let hang outside till trapping season. We have high humidity though

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 01:41 AM

Ok thanks guy's. I decided to roll out some black plastic and lay them all on it hoping to bake them in the sunshine maybe getting them to dry a little be faster.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 01:51 AM

You are going to have a mess.

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by tbn
You are going to have a mess.

Why?

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 02:02 AM

Black plastic with a petroleum product in the hot sun,I imagine the plastic is going to adhere to your traps if they are still sticky. You would be better off to lay on a piece of barn tin or similar. We have had humid weather later and they will stay tacky for a while. As mentioned,a little tacky at the start of season doesn't hurt anything,you could dust them now if you want. I generally pick a hot day with low humidity and they are dry to the touch in as little as a couple hours using pump gas. The key is mix thin and hot day low humidity. If using mineral spirits as Danny said,some is oily to the touch and some is more like solvent,it varies as he said.You need the heat to cure it ,humidity keeps them tacky.

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 02:20 AM

Ok thanks for the heads up. They are now hanging on the clothesline.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 02:26 AM

Well its too late now,,, but there have been 100+ posts like this on speed dip and "how do I fix this sticky, stinky mess" that for the life of me I do not know why people even try to use it these days. crazy There are a million different "recipes" on the right way to mix it, yet the manufactures don't care enough about who's buying it to change the directions to something that may work. The one thing everyone agrees on is the directions on the can don't work!!! lol There are too many variables to make this reliable, period. Different colors, different ratios, different fuels, weather conditions, and I'd bet inconsistency in the dip itself. I used it (Stoe's black) many years ago, worked perfect with regular pump gas mixed haphazardly and added to over time for years. Eventually that bucket got spilled, mixed up a new batch and it never dried, leaving a mess on the traps. IMO it's just plain irresponsible to promote the use of this stuff to others. $.02

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 10:24 AM

I would agree about promoting products that don't work. Many should come with refunds or a warranty.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Andy's Speed Dip? - 08/12/19 11:35 AM

There is a way yo remove speed dip. (not caustic acid or flammable).PM me and I will give you instruction.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums