Home

If the Senate Passes Background Checks...

Posted By: Anonymous

If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 02:30 PM

will this require a background check for the deer rifle you gift to your grand kid? Since background checks have no real effect on gun violence is this just a step to universal licensing?
Finally where do the pollsters get their polling data? Polls show gun owners highly support background checks. As a gun owner I support no legislation that only adds another layer of bureaucracy at a cost to law-abiding gun owners and the tax payer. Am I in the minority on this as the polling suggest?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 02:38 PM

I don't think the majority of gun owners have a clue.They're asked if they believe in background checks and they say sure.Same with the assault weapon nonsense.I've seen a few gunowners rail against the NRA for standing up for "semi automatic assault rifles",then come deer season go hunting with their semi-automatic Remington 742's chambered in 30/06.Absolutley clueless.And the media loves to talk to this bunch.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 02:39 PM

The only way background checks can "WORK' is with gun registration. This could happen since most gun owners think that they have already registered a gun, and yet very few ever have.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 03:06 PM

I think we are being lied to. Again.

Heard the same wagon load of fertilizer when Clinton wanted background checks at gun stores.

I bet when the NFA was passed in 34 the "polls" showed Americans thought it was a good idea. That armed citizens were a danger to them selves and their neighbors.

Lies lies and more lies. I hope you folks are teaching your kids and grandkids about liberty. They wont get any lessons from tv movies government schools or news outlets.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 03:41 PM

let me ask you what has a government list of prohibited persons done for us when nearly every mass shooter has passed the background check?
Because complacent government employees at every level have failed to report or report in a timely manner to said list .

The president and all the governors have the power and have had the power to order a review starting with yesterday and working backwards that all convicted persons are properly listed in the NICS database that would do more to protect you than any new law that relies on the same old poorly maintained list.

how about they start prosecuting prohibited persons who attempt to buy a gun and order a full review of the list and what was and was not reported as a measure of good faith.
Posted By: Art S

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 04:07 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 04:23 PM

The main reason for gun registration, that I can see, is to make it easy to later confiscate those guns, whether when that gun or owner is outlawed, or when someone else, like an heir, gift receiver or buyer is found in possession of that gun.

Keith
Posted By: adam m

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 04:44 PM

If it's anything like what NM did it will require ALL transfers to get a background check from a ffl dealer in order to complete said transfers including "gift" or inherited transfers. The majority of NM counties said they will not enforce said law and have deemed themselves sanctuary gun counties. There's a law suit against this new law.
The new background check law was the reason Walmart decided to stop selling guns in NM effective in late July. Walmart does still sell ammo.

Imo if the they really want to do better background checks then all states should be required to report all criminal info to NICS. Even if they did it wouldn't stop anything.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The main reason for gun registration, that I can see, is to make it easy to later confiscate those guns, whether when that gun or owner is outlawed, or when someone else, like an heir, gift receiver or buyer is found in possession of that gun.

Keith

Agree
Posted By: white17

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Agree

Disarmament by attrition
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 05:43 PM

We already have an incomplete registry. I'm sure the purpose of any new background check law is to make gun registration complete.

Your background check is currently kept for twenty years. After twenty years the FFL holder can destroy it.. If they go out of business they are required to send it to ATF. And through either sale, gift, or inheritance that registration continues. Just by another name.
Posted By: hippie

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 05:49 PM

registry is more complete now than people want to admit.
I say it every time there's a story about a gun, within a day they know exactly where it was bought and by who.

All they have to do is enter the serial number and it comes up. think about it.

(i should add, if bought new or transfered at dealer.)
Posted By: frank1969

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 05:55 PM

The government has no idea what is out there and who has what , so in order to know what they are up against then need a national registry. It was said a day or so ago there at more AR 15 style guns in private hands that the military has. Let that sink in
Posted By: hippie

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 06:00 PM

So, they are just guessing when they say the guy bought his gun legally and from where the same day he shoots up a place?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by frank1969
The government has no idea what is out there and who has what , so in order to know what they are up against then need a national registry. It was said a day or so ago there at more AR 15 style guns in private hands that the military has. Let that sink in

"Up against"??? Our government should not be "up against" US Citizens, who have the God given and Constitutional Right to bear arms.

Keith
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 07:36 PM

What the Liberals are up against.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 08:10 PM

I think background checks are the key to their long term plan. Once they have background checks for every transfer it’s checkmate. 2nd amendment is a real big problem for them, but if every transfer is known it can be taxed or as they call it “permit or fee”. The “permit or fee” will go to some great sounding government program that promises to keep us all SAFE. Maybe just start at $100 for the background check and transfer papers then up from there. Tax ammo and anything related to guns at high rates and slowly put the squeeze on. You can’t afford permits for all dads guns, so since we are so compassionate we will buy the rest of them from you. Libs think Very long term and they don’t get sidetracked by failure. I’m probably full of it but that’s what I’d do. They have a pretty good roadmap take a look at tobacco!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 08:12 PM

teach your kids what civil disobedience is
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
will this require a background check for the deer rifle you gift to your grand kid? Since background checks have no real effect on gun violence is this just a step to universal licensing?
Finally where do the pollsters get their polling data? Polls show gun owners highly support background checks. As a gun owner I support no legislation that only adds another layer of bureaucracy at a cost to law-abiding gun owners and the tax payer. Am I in the minority on this as the polling suggest?

"Polls" also stated that Hillary was going to win the election.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 09:02 PM

Keep guns out of the hands of demacrats.
These mass shootings would plummet wink
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Originally Posted by J Staton

"Polls" also stated that Hillary was going to win the election.

I agree, but it seems that republican politicians believe them. Either that or republican politicians are no different than their democrat counterparts in their quest to disarm the citizenry.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 09:22 PM

Doesn't matter what the background check covers, You will NEVER be able to completely vet all the bad apples out.
Posted By: Don

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 09:34 PM

It's not working in Canada. People are still getting shot.
Posted By: James

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 10:50 PM

No responsible gun owner should be in favor of expanded background checks--unless we get something in return, like sound suppressors.

Jim
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by James
No responsible gun owner should be in favor of expanded background checks--unless we get something in return, like sound suppressors.

Jim

True. And responsible gun owners are the only people it will affect. Since criminals don’t follow laws anyway.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by James

Jim

True. And responsible gun owners are the only people it will affect. Since criminals don’t follow laws anyway.

This ^ Been trying to convince the lawmakers in Illinois of this for years. Criminals do not abide by laws.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 11:36 PM

Isn't it already against the law to kill people?
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: If the Senate Passes Background Checks... - 08/11/19 11:49 PM

I sold all my guns anyway.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums