Home

Rattlers

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Rattlers - 08/12/19 09:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Rattlers (timber rattlers) seem to be increasing their movement earlier. They usually move more in early fall but early August is a bit unusual.

Had a 3 footer kill the wife's rooster and a hen. Killed the rooster DRT with bite on head. Hen died about 2 days later with bite on her side under her wing. Wife discovered rattler at chicken pen one morning last week... rattler didnt survive.

The one in the pic above was crossing a dirt road a few days ago. He got to live as it was not near my stomping grounds.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 09:54 PM

Pretty. I miss catching snakes up here in Alaska. Nothing but ice snakes up here.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 09:59 PM

To my way of thinking, that is a real handsome snake. We've got Prairie rattlers and Pacific rattlers, but neither are as vividly marked as the one you show in the photo. Thank you for sharing the photo, Sir.

Jack
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 10:30 PM

Great pic SW, if legal he'd been on my grill lol.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 11:12 PM

You best not kill them in TEXAS..

Protected...
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 11:45 PM

Don't kill them in New York, fully protected
Posted By: Savell

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 11:50 PM

Bullet.....I’ve only ever seen a few here in the wild in east Texas, and they were young....the Lufkin zoo has one with a head the size of a softball lol.... let that one rise up from the other side of a stump from me and there wouldn’t be enough protection in the world to keep me from drawing and firing all six in that thing lol
Posted By: Bill from NJ

Re: Rattlers - 08/12/19 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherman

That's because they don't want regular folks confusing them with the Politicians.
Posted By: canecutter

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:19 AM

I know it is wishful thinking Butttt , maybe we are gonna have a early fall . This 100 plus heat is rough on this old fat boy .
Posted By: warrior

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
To my way of thinking, that is a real handsome snake. We've got Prairie rattlers and Pacific rattlers, but neither are as vividly marked as the one you show in the photo. Thank you for sharing the photo, Sir.

Jack

Pictures don't do them justice. A well marked timber seems to play tricks with the light.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:40 AM

[Linked Image]

They do got some great colors, I stepped on that bottle and they started rattling. Good thing I had on my snake boots. This one was 47" not counting the rattle, the other one was well over52" but guessing it was a female and I didn't mess with that one. Both were let go.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:44 AM

You know, I think I will quit griping about 40 below zero if it keeps those things away!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:55 AM

They look best right after they shed their skin. If you look close up then the scales shimmer in all the rainbow colors.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by bulletbox

Protected...

I thought the only thing in Texas that's protected was whoever Chuck Norris is hanging out with at the time?

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:38 AM

Our mornings and evenings have seemed like early fall even though it heats up quickly in the mornings. The sun angle and shadows in the evenings are very fall-like. More so than past Augusts.

All poisonous snakes in Georgia are NOT protected by law. There has been some recent talk about protecting the Eastern Dbacks.

All non-poisonous snakes are protected.
Posted By: boncoon

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by bulletbox

Protected...

I thought the only thing in Texas that's protected was whoever Chuck Norris is hanging out with at the time?

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Our mornings and evenings have seemed like early fall even though it heats up quickly in the mornings. The sun angle and shadows in the evenings are very fall-like. More so than past Augusts.

All poisonous snakes in Georgia are NOT protected by law. There has been some recent talk about protecting the Eastern Dbacks.

I wish protection would be extended to all and enforcement for those dummies that kill all snakes on sight.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:59 AM

They're all pretty much protected except your allowed 1 rattler and copperhead a year.
Posted By: Doug66

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

I wish protection would be extended to all and enforcement for those dummies that kill all snakes on sight.

If they ever put protection on water moccasins then I'll just have to be an outlaw.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherman

Same here in Minnesota but I remember when there was a bounty on them

They seem to be on the rise here in Mn at least I have seen more then in years when I am down in the southern part of the state and they seem to be moving more as well
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Bullet.....I’ve only ever seen a few here in the wild in east Texas, and they were young....the Lufkin zoo has one with a head the size of a softball lol.... let that one rise up from the other side of a stump from me and there wouldn’t be enough protection in the world to keep me from drawing and firing all six in that thing lol

Brother Dave had one on his deer lease, that was big enough to set off a game camera...

It was a hoss...

A friend of mine had a picture of one that his Grandfather took care of back in the 40"s and that durn thing was a long as a piece of well rope...
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 03:08 AM

[Linked Image]
Always heard they swim with their rattles out of the water. This one didn’t.

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 03:59 AM

Here in these swampy piney woods the timber rattlers live in the bays, bottoms, sloughs, drier creek and high river bluffs...mostly the edges where uplands and wetlands meet.....but they aren't scared of water.

The Diamondbacks mostly stick to the uplands...especially the sandy ridges.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 04:21 AM

Nothing gets your attention like the buzzing of a rattler, walk up on a den of them sunning on a warm fall day and you can move your head like an owl! LOL
Posted By: Todd R

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 06:53 AM

The only poisonous snakes I have ever seen in he wild were both itty bitty Massasaugas right around 18 inches, neither had rattles.

For those who know the area the first was here in Wisconsin, just north of lacrosse a place called van loon, with seven bridges road running through it.

I was bow hunting in late October around 1990 on an unusually hot fall day. I had seen several different snakes on my way in, then I saw a snake I did not recognize. I had recently moved from Minnesota and thought the only poisonous snake in Wisconsin were timber rattlers.

So as l looked at this snake trying to figure out what it never occurred to me that it may be poisonous, as it clearly was not a timber.

So like a complete moron, I poked it with my bow a few times to change his course of travel.

Then I decided I wanted a closer look so I picked him up by the middle of his body.

I saw him turn his head and look at my hand. I never saw him move forward, I just saw him pulling back and I saw the fangs retract, and I thought, well that was stupid...

A lot more happened that day but that was my first poisonous snake in the wild. I heard many rattling in the dark in the desert, but never saw them.

Anyone else been bitten?
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:38 PM

We have massasaugas here. The big ones are as big as your forearm and about 3' long. Those are the only poisonous snakes here. I have only seen one. Glad we do not have any others.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
We have massasaugas here. The big ones are as big as your forearm and about 3' long. Those are the only poisonous snakes here. I have only seen one. Glad we do not have any others.

Originally Posted by Todd R
The only poisonous snakes I have ever seen in he wild were both itty bitty Massasaugas right around 18 inches, neither had rattles.

For those who know the area the first was here in Wisconsin, just north of lacrosse a place called van loon, with seven bridges road running through it.

I was bow hunting in late October around 1990 on an unusually hot fall day. I had seen several different snakes on my way in, then I saw a snake I did not recognize. I had recently moved from Minnesota and thought the only poisonous snake in Wisconsin were timber rattlers.

So as l looked at this snake trying to figure out what it never occurred to me that it may be poisonous, as it clearly was not a timber.

So like a complete moron, I poked it with my bow a few times to change his course of travel.

Then I decided I wanted a closer look so I picked him up by the middle of his body.

I saw him turn his head and look at my hand. I never saw him move forward, I just saw him pulling back and I saw the fangs retract, and I thought, well that was stupid...

A lot more happened that day but that was my first poisonous snake in the wild. I heard many rattling in the dark in the desert, but never saw them.

Anyone else been bitten?

I have a long time ago through my own stupidity by a small Timber rattler that I was teasing for fun hurt like h&&& but I learned my lesson to give them the respect they deserve

Glad they took the bounty off them here even though at the time I made extra money killing them for it back when I was a kid because even back then they were getting hard to find
Posted By: snowy

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:08 PM

I have had many encounters with rattlers. Snake gaurds are used anytime working on fencing etc.. Need to be very observent and have your hearing aids turn up full blast. Lol
[Linked Image]

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 01:40 PM

Typically, Idaho doesn't have big rattlesnakes like further south. Where I live, there are prairie rattlesnakes, and a 48" snake is about as long as they get.

[Linked Image]

Jack
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 03:03 PM

we have timbers and have seen some very pretty ones, from almost all black to some with amazing reds and yellow dorsal stripes.

came across this guys several years ago - he was high up (for VA anyways, over 3500') in late may.
my brother walked right over him, but he never rattled once. not even when i moved him off the trail

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 07:10 PM

I note a bunch of rattles on his tail. Here in the Adirondacks they inhabit the mountains along the shores of Lake George and Lake Champlain. Two color phases;black and yellow. I used to look for them to photograph. Never killed any snake. My experience is that they are shy creatures and would rather get away from you. Did have one rattle at me one time at a picnic table at an island campsite in Lake George. He was out hunting was attracted by the lantern on the table.

Nice photo !
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Rattlers - 08/13/19 11:12 PM

Protected or not if I see one it will be past tense
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 12:37 AM

A lot of venomous snakes have some striking markings. And I know they have an important purpose.

If I run across one on its "turf" I will do my best to give it a wide berth and move on... If I run across one on my turf... barn, chicken coop, woodpile etc... They're done for, protected or not.

Mike

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by coyote44

Why?

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 01:03 AM

Typically, Idaho doesn't have big rattlesnakes like further south. Where I live, there are prairie rattlesnakes, and a 48" snake is about as long as they get.

[Linked Image]

Jack

Jack, that's a phenomenal photo.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 02:17 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: etxwoods

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 02:37 AM

Any of you folks that live where there are lots of feral hogs noticed a decline in snake population?

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by etxwoods
Any of you folks that live where there are lots of feral hogs noticed a decline in snake population?

No.

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 03:47 AM

Did you have to go through the anti venom?

I had a reaction to it that was far worse than the bite itself.

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 03:55 AM

Exactly, they are just like a bee, don't mess with them, and you don't get bit.

I didn't even kill the one that bit me.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by coyote44

Why?

UUUGH maybe because God commanded it when he banish them to slither on their bellies and be struck on the head by man ... LOL You know that whole Adam and Eve and the apple thing ......
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Rattlers - 08/14/19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Todd R
Exactly, they are just like a bee, don't mess with them, and you don't get bit.

I didn't even kill the one that bit me.

That isn't true.Some hives are more aggressive than others,all you need to do is go near them and that's enough provocation for them.I would imagine its the same for snakes.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Taximan
[Linked Image]

Great picture of a rattlesnake taxi

[Linked Image]

Jack

Happen to know what plant that is blooming?

Awesome picture

Taxi and jack,

Is that what y’all call a prairie rattlesnake?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 01:17 AM

About a 2' timber rattler.[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 01:18 AM

Lupine.....aka "Blue Bonnet.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 01:18 AM

Those timber rattlers are pretty snakes. We’re supposed to have them here, but I’ve yet to see one

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Those timber rattlers are pretty snakes. We’re supposed to have them here, but I’ve yet to see one

My understanding is they are pretty thin in your area.

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 02:04 AM

Aix (and others) -

The picture I have posted above, and I assume that of Taxi, are Crotalus viridis, Prairie rattlesnakes. The blue flowers are indeed lupine (Lupinus caudatus). There are only two counties in Idaho that have that particular species of rattlesnake, the rest of the drier, lowland parts of the state have a different species. Of course, the higher mountains and the heavily timbered panhandle don't have rattlers. Here where I live, they are relatively common.

I sure like the vivid coloration on those timber rattlers.

Jack
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 02:44 AM

Can't get bit by a dead snake.... If you guys that are snake advocates think it's a justification to say, well they east mice, you should quit killing coyotes and fox. Mammals can eat a lot more. I can see a reason to not kill all snakes but ones that can send you to the hospital don't go far with me.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 03:09 AM

I have picked a few up with a stick and put them off the road. I think that cars will kill more of them than humans ever will. They like to lay in the warm road. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Picture made in the Clear Springs Wilderness of Shawnee National Forest by friend Don Tjader
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Rattlers - 09/29/19 03:31 AM

Nice pic, thanks for posting it. They are very cool looking both the yellow and gray phase.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums