Home

dang this tree

Posted By: cotton

dang this tree - 08/13/19 11:40 PM

limbs on it try to take my head off every other time i mow under it.
gonna trim about 2 inches from the ground this winter, i have no clue what kind of tree it is tho.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: dang this tree - 08/13/19 11:50 PM

"fire" wood. grin
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: dang this tree - 08/13/19 11:59 PM

Looks like an Elm, possibly American Elm!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 12:04 AM

If it is indeed in the Elm family it's nearly worthless for fire wood, as it stinks when burned and leaves lot's of ash. The trunk doesn't look like elm to me tho, more like a Beech.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 12:26 AM

Bark looks similar to a beech?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 12:54 AM

Leaves look like elm and if you are using it for firewood, I hope you have a hydraulic splitter or you may have another winter burn just in axe handles. That stuff grows like a cork screw and I have had axes at near 90 degree to me when the axe head followed the grain and I was left holding the handle. Wood splitting nightmare.
Posted By: squacks

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 01:43 AM

All the beech I have ever seen the bark was smooth and a gray color
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 03:05 AM

elm burns great , never notice any smell in good wood stove all the smoke goes up the chimney, burns hot enough to hardly smell anything from any wood.

elm has decent BTU and that's about all I worry about.

I do use a hydraulic splitter.
Posted By: snowy

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 03:13 AM

An elm variety and looks like firah wood.
Posted By: Zim

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 03:14 AM

My wife occasionally chastises me in the autumn as we are looking on natures beauty.
She is looking at the splendor and I am calculating btu's.
Can't help it. I was born to cut wood.

Zim
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 03:30 AM

Looks like beech to me. The bark is so covered up by lichens you can't see the smooth bark.
Posted By: squacks

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Looks like beech to me. The bark is so covered up by lichens you can't see the smooth bark.

It could be beech I suppose but if he lived there very many years I think he would have noticed some beech nuts sometime or other. The leaves do look right. It's that trunk that's throwing me off.
I have shot many a squirrel out of beech trees. It's one of my favorite mast trees as many critters use them for feed.
Where I come from, many an old woodsman carved their names or initials in that smooth bark.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Leaves look like elm and if you are using it for firewood, I hope you have a hydraulic splitter or you may have another winter burn just in axe handles. That stuff grows like a cork screw and I have had axes at near 90 degree to me when the axe head followed the grain and I was left holding the handle. Wood splitting nightmare.

Aint that the truth!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 05:05 AM

We live on the western edge of the largest beech forest in Europe. Our beech trees here have a shorter leaf, but around the farm beech is the preferred wood against chestnut and birch. We have oaks as well, but not as much. I agree about the beech nuts though... they are everywhere under the trees in the fall. For me, beech splits nicely... but especially when the neighbor shows up with the splitter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pete

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 06:09 AM

don't think is beech, bark is lots darker than the other beechs here. and i have never seen it have nuts on it or under it.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 09:31 AM

I would guess beech or maybe chestnut, if chestnut it shoud produce burrs on it.

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 10:34 AM

water beech or grey hysop or muscle wood but maybe a huge iron wood.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 11:30 AM

Mussle wood. They don't put on nuts that I'm aware of.

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 12:15 PM

i say water beech honestly but things go by different names to different people and places.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 12:33 PM

It looks like American hornbeam-AKA hop hornbeam, iron wood, muscle wood, blue beech- from looking at the leaves.
The fruit looks, and hangs down like, hops from which beer is made. It grows most often in the creek bottoms and usually doesn't get very big.
If that's what it is, it's a big one.
A better look at the smaller limbs would let us know for sure.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

I agree with Carl, this tree looks like American Beech with lichens and probably beech bark disease, which is why it looks so dark...
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
It looks like American hornbeam-AKA hop hornbeam, iron wood, muscle wood, blue beech- from looking at the leaves.
The fruit looks, and hangs down like, hops from which beer is made. It grows most often in the creek bottoms and usually doesn't get very big.
If that's what it is, it's a big one.
A better look at the smaller limbs would let us know for sure.

American hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) is a separate tree from American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana,aka Blue Beech/Musclewood). Hophornbeam bark looks very much like White Cedar bark.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: dang this tree - 08/14/19 05:44 PM

I say American Elm.
Beech is a smoother bark

Re: dang this tree - 08/15/19 12:06 AM

will try and remember to take the good camera out tomorrow after work and get better pictures
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: dang this tree - 08/15/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by cotton
will try and remember to take the good camera out tomorrow after work and get better pictures

Get a closeup of a terminal bud (end of the twig).
Posted By: Redknot

Re: dang this tree - 08/15/19 12:15 PM

Yes ^^^^..

The picture of the foliage that you have already shows a pretty good image of a leaf. It is NOT asymmetrical the way an elm leaf would be. I still believe it is a diseased Americana beech.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: dang this tree - 08/16/19 02:17 AM

Well, I mark trees for a significant part my living, and I often tell people if they find a local native tree I can not ID (in person, pictures are incomplete information most of the time) I will give them $50 for teaching me what surely must be the very last one I did not know. Never paid yet. DOUBLE serrated leaves, and delicate twigs, put it in Betulacea Family. AKA the birch family to us common folks.

But that’s all I’m saying. I’m enjoying the speculation too much. Experienced foresters go by overall tree shape/appearance and growth habit/pattern more than leaves. No leaves in the winter....It’s in a yard right? That’s the only thing that gives caution for precise ID, many non native trees get planted in yards, and the differences can be subtle enough to require in person inspections or good pictures of certain features.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums