Home

Set some steel today

Posted By: Nessmuck

Set some steel today - 08/14/19 01:37 AM

[Linked Image]

A customer called to remove some trouble beaver. He had a guy with a back hoe come ovah and ripped the dam out.....and what you see here ,is two days later...lol. Only had time to make 2 sets today...got a 330 at the base of the slide...and another 330 above the dam. Will see what I got in the morning.

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 01:46 AM

[Linked Image]

A Paul Grimshaw trick......tie a piece of wet paper towel ,high on a branch ,about 10-15 feet behind (down stream) from your set...and dip it in the lure bottle (Backbreaker) ....which I won off a Green Bay Packer Fan ,here on T-Man...lol
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 02:08 AM

Probably feels good to set something, definitely bigger traps than I’ve been setting, I’m going after pocket gophers with cinch traps. grin
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

A Paul Grimshaw trick......tie a piece of wet paper towel ,high on a branch ,about 10-15 feet behind (down stream) from your set...and dip it in the lure bottle (Backbreaker) ....which I won off a Green Bay Packer Fan ,here on T-Man...lol

Down here, Woodchipper would be the better choice this time of the year. Backbreaker may work for you up north where the temperatures aren't so oppressive. I hope it works for ya..

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 03:22 AM

Thanks Boss.....got some wood chipper in the basket,if I have to change it up.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 09:35 AM

I use woodchipper all summer long with good luck and backbreaker in the fall and early spring.

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 10:53 PM

Well.....aftah the dam was ripped out by the back hoe....it left their hut,high and dry. The beavers repaired the dam quickly....but I think,have moved on,due to the low water. Caught 2 big (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) snapping turtles in 330’s in 2 checks....both released and unharmed....but not a beaver in sight.
Going to put a fresh piece of poplar at the waters edge tomorrow morning...and keep an eye on it.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 10:56 PM

Be patient Nessy!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Set some steel today - 08/14/19 11:47 PM

Keep us posted! I'm jealous. The urge to set steel is strong. No sense going after summer coyotes or coons and beaver season is still 2.5 months away. Good luck!

Re: Set some steel today - 08/17/19 01:06 AM

[Linked Image]

So here ... is a pic of the candy stick ( poplar) that I stuck in the waters edge ,near the dam...yesterday. I checked it this morning ....and it’s still there....So that boys and girls is old Nessmucks sign to pull the traps...cuz this game is OVAH...!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Set some steel today - 08/17/19 02:28 AM

Hey, at least you are out and setting steel. One of my favorite places to trap over the past two seasons for beaver was a lake with a creek feeding into it. They just completely drained it to deepen it apparently and will refill it but it's now a bone dry dirt clod. I will have to check tomorrow but I'm sure the beaver are long gone.

Re: Set some steel today - 08/17/19 02:33 AM

yup....some lost beaver bucks there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums