Home

Cowboy up woodstove

Posted By: snowy

Cowboy up woodstove - 08/16/19 11:18 PM

Today we built a small wood stove for small work shed at the ranch. I have one similar to it in a line shack and does a decent job for small are cabins and work areas. Nothing fancy just very workable and serves the purpose.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/16/19 11:22 PM

I would paint it with some high temperature paint. But that's just me.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/16/19 11:38 PM

^ not quite done yet but close. I won't paint it for a few reasons, one is I don't have time to prep it and paint is toxic when it starts to break down. The cost isn't worth it to me either, I want it for one purpose heat.

It is amazing how much heat a small stove can provide.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/16/19 11:41 PM

Nice !!!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/16/19 11:56 PM

Looks good, yeah them little stoves can heat I remember seeing one on the wilderness site, I cant remember who it was, but he used them in his tent and they were made from used stainless steel. Also I miss read the the thread name I thought it said cowboy stoved up was expecting to see pictures of you with ice bags on from over doing it. laugh

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/17/19 02:31 AM

Finished the door latch will call it done. I will throw some wood in tomorrow and fire it up.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/17/19 02:37 AM

Very nice....I need a smaller one for my ice fishing shack
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/17/19 11:51 AM

Looks Great!
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:17 AM

So where does the coffee pot go?
just
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:22 AM

Like the shoes !
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:37 AM

Neat. I Like the legs. Steal them from an old desk or something?

Horse shoes have any purpose or just added to look cool?
Posted By: Marty

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:43 AM

That B awesome!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Very nice....I need a smaller one for my ice fishing shack

old 20 pound propane tanks work great.

That one looks nice that you have done.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
So where does the coffee pot go?
just

It will have block on the sides and two cast iron stove tops that will be on top of the stove. It will look something close to this. The legs are the frame work for an old chair. I just needed to cut for height and removed the plastic seat.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
^ not quite done yet but close. I won't paint it for a few reasons, one is I don't have time to prep it and paint is toxic when it starts to break down. The cost isn't worth it to me either, I want it for one purpose heat.

It is amazing how much heat a small stove can provide.

You are right about the paint being toxic.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 11:18 AM

Nice idea Snowy..looks great...
Posted By: jasonv

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 01:31 PM

That is a big horseshoe on the door!

Stove looks great.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 01:36 PM

Today we built a small wood stove for small work shed at the ranch. I have one similar to it in a line shack and does a decent job for small are cabins and work areas. Nothing fancy just very workable and serves the purpose.
[Linked Image]

Guess I will be the only one here to tell the truth.That is one UGLY lookin contraption!! grin

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 01:42 PM

LOL! Purpose is for heat, not for looking prettie. I'm more red necker then you! Lol
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 01:47 PM

LOL! Purpose is for heat, not for looking prettie. I'm more red necker then you! Lol
LOL,,long as it works right.Just bustin yer chops.And don't bet yer life that your more red necker than me.Youd be surprised.Part of our yearly Easter egg hunt games involves shooting .22s for prizes.
smile

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/18/19 02:04 PM

^ I'm pretty red necker though, I doubt you would be more then me. Lol Have a great one brother!
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 01:15 AM

Like it. What do the 2 horseshoes on top do?
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 01:31 AM

That is sweet Snowy. Folk art with a function!

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Like it. What do the 2 horseshoes on top do?

Nothing really but could use to hang stove tools and dry gloves etc.. I put it in place today with block all around the sides and iron top for cooking.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 02:12 AM

Just wondering do you do farrier work? I didn’t realize how big that front horse shoe was and wondered if you made it.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 02:12 AM

snowy, your stove reminds me of the flatbed I had welded up custom for my truck . I had big draft shoes with cleats welded in three feet spacing along the sides , toes down, perfect for tie downs . Waffle black metal bed with nice big encased lights . Stained redwood railings that inserted into pockets to hold loads or taken out for large flat hauling , like sheet rock.

Not another like it...art and function - like your stove cool

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 03:16 AM

Sharon, there are ranchers here that have shoes welded for tie downs also. They work well.

Bob_Iowa >> no, but it is a shoe from a Belgium work horse. Ya, it is a large one.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 03:27 AM

Thats neat to know, snowy ! I was sure someone would have thought to use shoes that way too.

I never got a pic of that truck ...sure wished I did. That was back in the days without digital easy cams that everyone has to use now.

I do have in mind, when my Ram truck bed gets to the point of needing something done, in taking the bed off that one and having the same flatbed type custom for it as well. Looks so much nicer than the stock bed anyway smile

Your stove will work well and be art for years to come.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 03:33 AM

Sharon, flat beds are the way to go, almost everyone here has them.

Re: Cowboy uped stove - 08/21/19 03:36 AM

You bet they are ! Same here, of course. Cant tell how many times wheel wells get in my way on those stock beds. I dont wait on the beds to need any body work before I put the custom flatbed on ! Looks great, too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums