Home

Those little - !!

Posted By: Nessmuck

Those little - !! - 08/17/19 12:57 PM

[Linked Image]

Just picked this pile off my 6 Tomatoe Plants.....but then again ,I don’t use any sprays.....what do you Faahmahs use ?
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 01:00 PM

We don't have them here. Is that the lowly Tomato Horn Worm ? On everything else, I spray with liquid sevins dust and use that to stick powder to it, to give them the double whammy.

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 01:05 PM

Les.....yup

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 01:07 PM

Just picked our first ,vine ripe maters 2 days ago
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 01:11 PM

pick them and kill them.Havent had them here in years.Hard to see cause they blend into the plant.Go out just before dark and listen.You will actualy hear them munching on the plant,,and you can find them like that.
Posted By: the wife

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:12 PM

What Les said.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:24 PM

fingahs and boot sole
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:27 PM

spinosad or bt..........
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:33 PM

Don't have them here, but this year I have slugs eating the ripe tomatoes. Not too bad but annoying. My buddy has a big problem with a worm that is hatched on or in the tomato and starts eating its way out. If it isn't mildew its something else. Jeez.

I can't blame someone for using chemicals if they want to, but I choose not to.

Good luck with the worms.
[Linked Image]

Pete
Posted By: charles

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:38 PM

Sevin or pig castrator equally well. When I was a kid they were tobacco worms.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:39 PM

You can spray with BT thuricide but picking them is very effective and chickens love to eat them.
I posted on here about 2 years ago how they glow under black light...buy a $7 flashlight on Amazon and pick them at night. It's easy when they glow you can even find the babies
Posted By: snowy

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:40 PM

We have them here but not bothered by them. We have picked many dozens of tomatoes already. We didn't think we were going to have much of anything but was wrong.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:40 PM

Those suckers like pepper plants too. I treat with Sevin Dust before fruiting. After fruiting I use the pick and stomp method.
Posted By: MB750

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 02:42 PM

Never had much luck fishing with them.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 03:18 PM

liquid sevin dust. I spray that on everything in my garden. It works. Too many bugs around here to not use some sort of pesticide.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
spinosad or bt..........

X2
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/17/19 03:48 PM

Also diatomaceous earth is another option. Dust your plants and surrounding areas around mater's and any crawling insect will get sliced open and die. Picture tiny glass shards to a worms bottom side. Have to reapply after rain

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
liquid sevin dust. I spray that on everything in my garden. It works. Too many bugs around here to not use some sort of pesticide.

Exactly. but I haven't used anything on my tomatoes except Fungonil to control septoria leaf spot. If I had used something, my sweet potatoes would still have leaves, and those leaves are fine skeletons now. First time I have tried to grow them up here. I don't believe I get much crop there.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by the wife
What Les said.

Hey, I gotta write this down, somebody just agreed with what Trapper Les said.

Zim

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 01:12 AM

It don't happen all that often, lol.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 01:19 AM

laugh Dam straight, Les, are you gonna make it down for the Wisco shindig on the weekend after Labor Day?
We will be puttin on another realy big T-Man Feed.

Zim

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 01:27 AM

I told Stan Hoeft I was going, I am planning on it, and if I come, I'll bring a jar of hot bread and butter refrigerator pickles.

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 01:55 AM

I wish I lived closer .....Zim and Les at the same party !!.....and who knows else..

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 02:13 AM

When I come down there, I tone back a little and try not to look so drop dead gorgeous. lol
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 03:04 AM

Hornworm haven't been too bad this year but the kind that eat the actual tomato are driving me nuts. Some of them look like they were shot with a shotgun they got so many worm holes in them. I don't like putting poison on my food but I may have to drag out the seven or I won't get many maters this year.

I did pick a nice big unmolested Kentucky beefsteak this evening. Got a couple nice mater sandwichs out of it. First year growing the Kentucky. Will definitely plant more next year.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by slydogx
You can spray with BT thuricide but picking them is very effective and chickens love to eat them.
I posted on here about 2 years ago how they glow under black light...buy a $7 flashlight on Amazon and pick them at night. It's easy when they glow you can even find the babies

The blacklight light works well. Or using Spinosad.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 09:40 AM

Hand pick them here, got first ripe tomatoes 3 days ago and was in Maine yesterday, so will give them a good look over today. Havent seen one here yet this year.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/18/19 12:12 PM

Put a bounty on them, turn the Grandkids loose.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 04:53 AM

If I have a big problem I use liquid seven, one farmer that sells compost said if you have enough compost you won't have bugs

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 05:06 AM

Yes, healthy soil leads to less plant stress and less bugs. If you use plenty of manure, it will deter fungal growth to some degree.
Posted By: run

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 09:43 AM

I agree with the farmer that sells compost.

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 01:02 PM

These plants have plenty of Sheep Compost .....and we haven’t grown tomatoes in a while. But just like chickens ...the rats will find you.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 01:06 PM

they also glow with a blacklight at night - makes them alittle easier to find and pick them off
Posted By: run

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 01:11 PM

Maybe certain variety of tomatoes are more susceptible. We mostly lose our tomatoes to blight. Maybe the blight is faster than the horn worms.
Posted By: charles

Re: Those little Bastids !! - 08/19/19 01:33 PM

They will gorge on dill. When you step on it, you can smell the dill.

The mother is a moth. Forgot her name.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums