Home

What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies

Posted By: Patrice

What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/18/19 11:57 PM

It has been a week since Zim and I have had the chance to actually sit down and eat a nice supper, and boy was it nice! Tonight, we had prime New York strip with baked garden garlic, sliced garden tomatoes, and zucchini tomato glop with garden zucchini, garden tomatoes, croutons, Italian seasoning and Carr Valle Colby cheese melted throughout!

[Linked Image]

Aaaaaah. We're full over here!

How about you? What's for supper tonight? I hope you're having a wonderful Sunday evening and enjoying good food and good company! grin
Patrice
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:06 AM

A lettuce sandwich.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:15 AM

Ooh, Nittany! I hope that wasn't served on lettuce instead of bread! shocked
Posted By: Jags

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:17 AM

MMMMMMMM, glop! What the?😂 And all I had was a tomato sandwich.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:20 AM

Homemade chicken noodle soup and Zwiebelkuchen
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:23 AM

Looks great steak is done right, one question, how do you do the garlic? I’ve tried it in the oven wrapped in tin foil with butter and it didn’t turn out the best.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:28 AM

[Linked Image]

Chicken Maahsellah..........

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:38 AM

A tomato sandwich is always good at this time of year, Jags! And glop is great! Cooked zucchini and tomatoes, melted Colby cheese, butter, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and croutons added to soak up all the liquid until it results in a fluffy, cheesy mess!

Sounds fantastic, Mike! Wow! I am going to have to make Zwiebelkuchen. I have never made it before! Would you have a recipe you can share?

Thanks, Bob! We just baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. Not too much different from what you did. I cut the top off of each head, put it in a small baking dish, poured olive oil over it and then covered it with foil.

Aaaaaaaah, Nessy! That's a thing of beauty! Thanks for the photo!

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:44 AM

Zweibelkuchen

1 pie crust
2 pounds onions, sliced or chopped
5 ounces bacon, chopped
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
paprika
salt
caraway seeds (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a 9" deep dish pie plate with a pie crust. Set aside.
Saute onions and bacon until onions are a nice caramel color and bacon is cooked give it a sprinkling of paprika and salt.
Pour onion/bacon mixture into pie crust.
Mix sour cream and eggs together and pour over onion mixture.
(if you are using caraway seeds sprinkle some over the top)
Bake for 40 minutes. Let set for 5 minutes before slicing.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:49 AM

Thank you, Mike!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:57 AM

[Linked Image]

deep fried gizzards and sam adams lager
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:57 AM

For dinner I had a good old fashioned Baptist church potluck I attended. Just about anything there is to suit a southern man's fancy when it pertains to food. From the looks of your vitals Patrice, you would fit right in.
Supper though was just frozen pizza.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 12:58 AM

Good luck. It’s an interesting dish. More quiche-like than a pie-like. The caramelized onions with a tad of bacon, well that’s a no brainer!
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 01:00 AM

Homemade chicken and dumplings.Turned out fantastic

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Patrice
Ooh, Nittany! I hope that wasn't served on lettuce instead of bread! shocked

Lettuce wrapped in lettuce with a dab of mayo. Heart healthy stuff.
Posted By: run

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 01:19 AM

Man, it has been a long time since Patrice posted a meal. I had popcorn, turkey breast and fresh tomatoes. Nothing fancy.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 01:28 AM

We hosted a family bbq yesterday. I will be eating leftovers for a week(no one ever leaves my wife's table hungry) potato salad, macaroni salad, marinated vegetable salad, broccoli salad and cabbage salad. I will grill burgers a couple days but for tonight just salads.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 02:11 AM

That looks good Patrice. It's all garden goodies up here.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 02:35 AM

Deer heart quesadillas. And a PBR!
Posted By: white17

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton
For dinner I had a good old fashioned Baptist church potluck I attended. Just about anything there is to suit a southern man's fancy when it pertains to food. From the looks of your vitals Patrice, you would fit right in.

As a Mod even I can't see Patrice's vitals ! shocked

Maybe you should log in again !

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 01:06 PM

That's a fine pairing, Danny! With the printer in the background, it looks like a working supper - I hope it was a relaxing evening!

J Staton, it's a good plan to eat all of that earlier in the day anyway! There is nothing like a good church potluck. When my dad passed away six weeks ago, my mom opted to have the luncheon at the church, and she was so glad she did. Those people all serve up their favorite comfort food and they make it with love. Oh - and a frozen pizza make fine supper any day!

Thanks, Mad_Mike! I see it's a savory dish and I cannot imagine not loving it. What's not to love?! grin

Oh, Buck - now you're taking me back to my childhood! My two brothers and I all had the same favorite supper as kids - my mom's chicken and dumplings. That sounds like a wonderful supper!

C'mon, Nittany! Did you take a multi-vitamin with that? I actually could roll up mayo in lettuce and love it, but there are a lot of heart-healthy foods you could have along with that! Stop over here - we'll feed you!

My life has been out of control, Run. It's nice to be home for a little while. I personally believe that popcorn could be a perfect side dish for any meal! I just bought a new bag of popcorn so when Zim and I are up watching a movie, we have our favorite on hand. Turkey breast and fresh tomatoes - all good!

I love that stuff, SundanceMtnMan! I could live on the salads! It sounds like you have a fantastic meal plan laid out for your week with the burger addition. I was out of town this week helping my mom and she mentioned wanting to make some macaroni salad, but we never got around to it. Now I have a hankering ...

Thanks, Les! I knew you'd be rolling in garden goodies by now!

Great stuff, Handitrapper! And another tasteful pairing!

Everything working well, White! BP 112/74, HR 64 BPM ... Doing just fine! laugh
Posted By: adam m

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 03:47 PM

Looks like good eating.
I had a bbq at my place with some neighbors and friends. meats were pulled pork, smoked brisket, smoked ribs. Sides included baked mac n cheese, fruit salad, salad, and grilled pineapple and bourbon maple pineapple, watermelon.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 03:53 PM

I'll bet that was all wonderful, Adam! How did your pulled pork turn out? Did you try a new recipe?

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 04:09 PM

It really was Patrice. The pulled pork came out good. Tonight I'm trying it with bbq sauce for comparison
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 06:03 PM

i smoked a sirloin tip roast saturday -simple and delicious

when we pullled it out of the freezer, the wife also pulled out a beef liver - she was feeling brave.

I looked all over the internet to find a way she might eat the liver.

ended up slicing it thin and marinating it in cirtrus and spices.
sauteed up a ton of onions, peppers, and mushrooms, then sauteed the liver with bacon peices - added all the veggies - served on warmed corn tortillas with homemade salsa, a squeeze of lime and cheese.

she still doesnt like liver, but i have a new favorite, beef liver tacos
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by J Staton

As a Mod even I can't see Patrice's vitals ! shocked

Maybe you should log in again !

With the vittles Patrice cooks I reckon her vitals are just fine. smile
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 09:47 PM

I had to make do with elk back straps, hash browns with shrooms in a cream sauce and green beans. No picture this time round. Saw this thread after dinner
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 10:00 PM

Butter and garlic chicken wings

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 10:19 PM

Adam, if you arrive at what you like the best for a pulled pork recipe, I'd love to hear about. I would try it - only with about half the spice! laugh

Sirloin tip is always nice, L1ranger! You have to give your wife credit for trying the liver, but you get credit for creativity on that one! Nice job!

Thanks, J Staton.

Oh, that's rough, Scuba. Without a photo, I'll just have to imagine ... Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... grin

Love chicken wings, Gutthooked! I have some in the freezer I'll have to whip up soon! Butter and garlic sound great!

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 11:43 PM

I'll start tonight with a 3/4s saucepan of yellow beans, wax and Italian, and finish with bacon, lol, and maybe a tomato.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 11:44 PM

Patrice, I'll certainly let you know when I perfect it or use a stellar receipe

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/19/19 11:57 PM

When ever I boil up beans , I've taken to adding two table spoons of bacon grease to the pot, for flavor.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
When ever I boil up beans , I've taken to adding two table spoons of bacon grease to the pot, for flavor.

Ya can't do beans without it. That would be just plain wrong.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:04 AM

Green beans is what I 'm talkin' about tonight, lol.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:09 AM

[Linked Image]

Nothing Fancy.....everyone’s fav....American Chop Suey...

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:12 AM

I guess Les I’ve always boiled bacon with my green beans for flavor, depending on how many I’m doing makes my mind up to how much bacon I put in.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:14 AM

I just discovered how great an idea it was, lol. my bad,, I wish I'd seen it sooner.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:15 AM

That looks really good nessmuck. One advantage you have nessmuck you can get good seafood easily, I’ve have to drive an hour to get good seafood.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:15 AM

You’re never too old to learn something. smile
Posted By: run

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:17 AM

20-25 minutes for me to get seafood.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

Nothing Fancy.....everyone’s fav....American Chop Suey...

Is that sauerkraut on top Ness ?

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:19 AM

Les....if I had kraut...maybe....lol....

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:37 AM

I should have been more specific the seafood is flown in so it can be up to 4 to 5 days old before I buy it, however I do have pretty easy access to corn fed beef. grin

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I should have been more specific the seafood is flown in so it can be up to 4 to 5 days old before I buy it, however I do have pretty easy access to corn fed beef. grin

If I was in Iowa.....a Lobstah Roll is not on my list....

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 12:59 AM

You guys have been busy!

Les, that would be good any day! Bacon grease is the nectar of the gods. laugh Do you ever make sweet & sour green beans with bacon (that is cooked green beans with a sweet & sour sauce and bacon on them)?

Thanks, Adam!

Fantastic, Scuba. I'm about ready to order that up right now! Thanks for the picture!

What is all in that masterpiece, Nessy? Thanks for the photos! We'll be stopping by!

That goes for me too, Bob_Iowa. Don't feel bad, Les. True confessions here ... I have never boiled green beans with bacon or bacon grease! I read this and wonder where I've been! I believe I have another new goal for tomorrow thanks to all of you. It's like I've been living under a rock!

Run, that would be nice! We, of course, have wonderful freshwater fish, but seafood is the biggest treat because what we get has either been frozen or has been flown in fresh for major $$$$$.

When Zim's son lived in Maine, he would ship live lobstahs to us and we would feast on them the first night and then take a little extra leftover meat to make lobstah rolls the next day. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 01:06 AM

Not yet Patrice, but I am pondering it now, lol.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 09:33 PM

Ribeyes and grilled peaches
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/20/19 10:10 PM

Smoked Beef short ribs with sweet corn

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/21/19 12:56 AM

[Linked Image]

Sweet Sausage....Dijon Dip....I was Hangry,and needed something quick !
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 12:20 AM

Tonight was Baked Cod over zucchini and yellow squash noddles with Cherry Tomotoe's. With a side of Brussels sprouts and sweet potato. Yum
[Linked Image]

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 12:24 AM

[Linked Image]

Brussel sprouts must be in the air tonight ! ....And the local “ Silvah Queen “ corn is ready now !! Chicken and garden matahs ...

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 01:00 AM

Great stuff there!

Les, if you ever need that recipe for sweet & sour green beans with bacon, let me know.

Gutthooked, I would ove grilled ribeye and peaches!

Two nice suppers, Hornady! Short ribs and corn are summer classics, and a whole bunch of great veggies with that cod tonight! Thanks for the photo!

And two nice supper for you, Nessy! Nothing like sausages with dipping sauce and fresh tomatoes! The corn and tomatoes and Brussels sprouts all look great too with that chicken! Zim's Brussels sprouts are usually ready later in fall, but we'll be looking forward to them. Thanks for the photos!

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 01:45 AM

Grilled ahi steaks and some fried calamari with fresh steamed green beans.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 01:50 AM

Patrice does Zim let his Brussels get frosted so they get sweeter? Nessmuck nice to see someone is getting good sweet corn most here is just at blister and earlier stuff didn’t have any flavor.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 02:21 AM

Patrice does Zim let his Brussels get frosted so they get sweeter? Nessmuck nice to see someone is getting good sweet corn most here is just at blister and earlier stuff didn’t have any flavor.

What do they call...Silver Queen...corn ,out your way ? We also have a two tone corn..yellow and white ,called butter and sugar. But the Silver Queen is like candy !

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 02:31 AM

Here your “white corn” is almost never raised because of cross pollination with field corn, most is yellow and white the best was optimum, tasted like pure sugar, but it has severe germination issues, dad has found Nantucket from Johnny’s that is very sweet, however after this year with seed issues I’m not sure if he will order from them again so we will probably be needing to find a new one.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 12:53 PM

Here your “white corn” is almost never raised because of cross pollination with field corn, most is yellow and white the best was optimum, tasted like pure sugar, but it has severe germination issues, dad has found Nantucket from Johnny’s that is very sweet, however after this year with seed issues I’m not sure if he will order from them again so we will probably be needing to find a new one.

Thanks for that info

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 04:31 PM

That's a nice seafood twist there, gutthooked. I haven't had any calamari in a while. Sounds good!

Bob, yes he does. He'll leave them until after a good frost. You guys have me thinking of stealing a few sprouts off of those stalks now though!

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/23/19 11:31 PM

Chicken Pot Pie, Pennsylvania Dutch style.

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/24/19 04:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Sammich time......lettuce,garden mater,Turkey,avocado,cheese...

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/24/19 06:41 PM

Wonderful, Nittany! I haven't had a pot pie in ages! I made some wild tirkey pot pies several years ago.

Hey, Nessy! That's beautiful! The other day after you posted your mater sammy, I made one myself too. Just white bread, good mayo and sliced tomatoes - salt only here - no pepper. It was a happy sammy for me! grin Thanks for the photo!

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/24/19 07:20 PM

Okay, here was last night's supper ...

Prime beef tenderloin, evil white garden garlic pasta and garden tomatoes.
[Linked Image]
I dream about that stuff. laugh

Right now, I am making some of my favorite stuffed peppers using Zim's garden peppers, garlic, onions and thyme. We're going to steam some Dungeness crab with those. What could go bettah with beef stuffed peppers than Dungeness crab? (We just felt like it. grin )

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/24/19 08:39 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ looks good !

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/24/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Patrice
Wonderful, Nittany! I haven't had a pot pie in ages! I made some wild tirkey pot pies several years ago.

Hey, Nessy! That's beautiful! The other day after you posted your mater sammy, I made one myself too. Just white bread, good mayo and sliced tomatoes - salt only here - no pepper. It was a happy sammy for me! grin Thanks for the photo!

Patrice....good mayo = Cain’s ! [Linked Image]

I can send you some to try...you’ll love it
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/25/19 12:27 AM

Patrice; We had some of those rotten feral pig tenderloins and sweetcorn tonight. Don’t know if I can stomach much more of that pig anymore. lol

Re: What's for Supper? Prime Steak and Garden Goodies - 08/25/19 01:49 AM

Thanks, Nessy! I am looking up Cains Mayo and it looks like Walmart carries it. There is a Walmart not too far from here. I'll check it out before I let you ship any (thank you!!!) ... but if we cannot get it, maybe it will make more sense if you just pack it in one bigger shipping carton with some live crabs, scallops or lobstahs!!!!! laugh laugh laugh I'll let you know what I find!

Handitrapper, it's too bad that pig turned out so badly. You've done nothing but complain through every meal! (Good on you!) grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums