Home

Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system?

Posted By: Muskrat

Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:38 AM

We call these doe tags. Okay, antlerless tags. Nope, now they're antlerless harvest authorizations. What next? Same for otter tags, fisher tags . . .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:43 AM

WOW, did you wake up on the wrong side of the tracks this morning?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Unreal
Posted By: EdP

That's government for you.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
That's government for you.

Bingo
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:50 AM

Doe tag was a far too simplistic term for demonstrating just how vitally important departments, bureaucracies and those that run them are.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:54 AM

Just maybe they don't want to call them tags any more because we don't actually have to tag the deer with it? it's a stretch of logic, I know. I agree it's the government and they have to change it, it was working.

What if the deer identifies as antlered? Who are we to judge? smile
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 11:56 AM

Someone needed to justify their salary increase.

“I have an idea!! Let’s rename them HARVEST AUTHORIZATIONS! That’ll help clarify everything.”

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by handitrapper

“I have an idea!! Let’s rename them HARVEST AUTHORIZATIONS! That’ll help clarify everything.”

The LAST thing they've done is clarify anything the last few years. You dang near have to be a lawyer to make sense of the reg's.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:01 PM

It's the government's subtle way of letting you know you are subject to them.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
It's the government's subtle way of letting you know you are subject to them.

Well that makes sense. Being they are the King’s deer and we are just peasants.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:11 PM

With the switch to a per trapper quota system for otter next year, I dont know if they will still issue the tags or not. I have heard they are trying to switch to a phone/electric check-in for otters that would allow them to send the CITES tag in the mail rather than having to check in with a warden to get it. There are other states that do it this way.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:20 PM

Here's the number one candidate for cluster of the regs:

34.84 MB worth

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/regulations/TroutRegsFull1920Press.pdf

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:30 PM

"irreversible complete submersion" government speak for drowning, I guess. I truly wonder how many kids can read and understand the trapping regs.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
WOW, did you wake up on the wrong side of the tracks this morning?

Nah . . . just having a hard time understanding why.

Imagine a couple of deer hunters sitting in the local tavern Saturday night. Their third buddy who hunted a different area approaches the table and one of the fellas sitting there says . . . "Hey Joe! Did you fill your antlerless harvest authorization?"

Joe, feeling a bit bummed over not seeing any deer, repies . . . "Nope, didn't see any antlerless Odocoileus virgininus (you know this is coming someday) and by golly you can kiss my gluteus maximus if you bring that subject up again!"
Posted By: Chukar

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:38 PM

When are they going to make them gender neutral? crazy

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
"irreversible complete submersion" government speak for drowning, I guess. I truly wonder how many kids can read and understand the trapping regs.

You're taunting me this morning buddy.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:47 PM

It's a mess and only going to get worse. I have the warden's number in my phone and call often to ask about his interpretation of the rules.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 12:56 PM

either the term authorizations is a push to making the "public" realize where the "Authority" comes from to harvest deer.

or

since there is actually no paper tag anymore just an authorization number on a web page and it is web registration or phone call in with some deer registration stations left to handle those who may not like the electronic way.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chukar
When are they going to make them gender neutral? crazy

too late they mostly already have, antlered and antler-less sometimes a Doe will have a rack and young bucks or those less than 3 inches are antler-less.

they keeps telling me , your Sex is not your Gender , the sex is just the parts you were born with unless those parts have been surgically altered.

they is the preferred pronoun of the person telling me this ,which is often very confusing when they talk about other theys using they as a singular like him or her and I always have to ask if They has a mouse in their pocket.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:04 PM

Can't be a doe tag, you can shoot an antlerless buck fawn, so doe tag is out

Can't be tags as they don't have an actual tag anymore.

gotta call it something, why so upset about?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:05 PM

Well conservation here states that a spike buck with antlers shorter than 4” is a antlerless deer.
So in a season when it’s bucks only (which is often), we can’t shoot them.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
Can't be a doe tag, you can shoot an antlerless buck fawn, so doe tag is out

Can't be tags as they don't have an actual tag anymore.

gotta call it something, why so upset about?

what's your solution?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:57 PM

And there are plenty of idiots who want government run health care! mad

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:57 PM

And to be truthful, that's not really upsetting. It's just another sign of the times.

What's upsetting to me personally is this registration by 5:00 pm they day following the kill, or should I say harvest authorization.

We deer camp in the river bottoms. No cell phone service. So if I harvest authorize Saturday morning, I've got to get this deer registered by 5:00 Sunday afternoon. That means running across the river, trailering the boat, and driving up to the bluff top where I can get a signal to call the kill, oops . . the harvest authorization in.

When do I do that? During the day Saturday? I've got 8 antlerless harvest authorizations to fill! I wouldn't want to take precious hunting time to do it, eh? Saturday night in the dark? That's not safe. So it's either screw away deer hunting time Saturday or Sunday to register my harvest authorization.

What happened to registering your deer by the end of the deer season?

There's absolutely no justification in this procedure. There will be no closure of any unit dependent on the deer kill . . . harvest authorizations . . . in that area. It's only to satisfy the bean counters in Madison.

What if you're at a deer camp up north and it's an old logging road that only a tractor can navigate. No cell phone service. This was the deer camp Dad and I hunted at back in the 60s. All the deer were registered the last Sunday when fellas walked out following the tractor with a trailer hauling gear out. The camp continues to this day. Are these fellas making a daily trip to find cell phone service or a tavern where they'll register the harvest authorization? C'mon . . . .

Sheesh! I'm starting to sound like the Beav here.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 01:59 PM

I always shoot my deer that last day I hunt......

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 02:00 PM

wise guy
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 02:12 PM

I tried to get a State tag for turkey last year I found the Go Wild system confusing. When I tried to get my license and apply for leftover tags it was a wait to get into the system, then I bought my license and it kicked me out and I had to start over to put in for a tag, by then it was to late!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 02:41 PM

Well then, I shall euthanize my harvest authorizations to fullfill my protein supplement requirements for the climate changing period of 2019/2020 using a forcibly propelled projectile
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 03:15 PM

Fish and Game Departments now becoming politically correct.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 03:29 PM

That has a politically correct ring to it.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 03:49 PM

It is sanitizing the language. They want us to harvest deer. Do they grow out of the ground? No, I am killing a deer. I don;t care for the sanitizing, nor do I care for the other end of the spectrum. Phrases like whackin and stackin, or pilin em up don't appeal to me either.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 05:19 PM

A lot of new regs and rule changes are just someone's attempt to justify their salary. If they aren't doing something (good or bad, doesn't matter) then they could be replaced by a wood post.

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 05:39 PM

sort of reminds me of Gorge Carlin's bit on Shell shock

this was 30 years ago
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/27/19 08:38 PM

Don't even get a stinking tag in some States they get by on the cheap and we pay more. Nothing like taking a piece of paper into the woods on a wet day to babysit it.

Here we do it all on line and still get charged a fee to do it our self!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 12:38 AM

Lol. Great guy. He preformed couple a free shows for our armed troops over seas on location.
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
We call these doe tags. Okay, antlerless tags. Nope, now they're antlerless harvest authorizations. What next? Same for otter tags, fisher tags . . .

34.84 MB worth

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/regulations/TroutRegsFull1920Press.pdf

Mike, I'm laughing and crying at the same time. At first, I was laughing until my sides hurt, and then just as I was about to make a joke about the trout regs, I recalled that my decorated WWII veteran father in law gave up trout fishing on his own (which he loved) because he can't decipher the regs anymore. When we get time we'll take him along trout fishing with us, after we superimpose the trout stream color coded map over the map (with the necessary roads) from a gazetteer to establish stream access locations and formulate a plan of attack. There. That was easy. laugh
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 08:51 AM

I know I can be a bit wordy & confusing, but d*mn.. hunting regs should be much easier to get through
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 09:47 AM

[Linked Image]

Muskrat- it looks like the 5:00pm cut-off is critical to sound wildlife management... I'm sure they have statisticians waiting for you to scale the bluff to process your information in a timely manner.

I'm also with Law Dog- Who did my $.21 convenience? ... after I navigated the phone lottery pool at 9:45am to be told at 10:00 am I was in the queue as #17,542 or had the luxury of driving to a DNR Licensed Authorization Agent (also known as a gas station)
[Linked Image]

Ok- now I feel better that I put my 2 cents worth in or $.21
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 10:52 AM

34.84 MB worth

I don't know Mike, maybe you should switch to decaf laugh

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 11:02 AM

Patrice, that's sad that anyone would quit hunting or fishing because the reg's are too hard to read. For all the rhetoric we hear about participation numbers declining in outdoors sports, you think the least they could do is make the rules easy to read and understand.

I am sure the language doesn't make a warden's job any easier.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 08/28/19 12:44 PM

Eagleye, that convenience fee is garnered by Wisconsin E-Payment Services for using a credit/debit card, not the DNR. You can avoid that fee by paying with electronic check (entering your account info). Just like any business that accepts credit/debit cards, there are fees involved, although most businesses dont pass those fees onto the customer.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Really? Why can't DNR follow the KISS system? - 02/17/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by handitrapper

I wonder what happened to handitrapper. I miss his posts. After all, he started the famous Wolf thread on here that is still being used today. He went out of his way once to drop some items off for me at my workplace, that I bought on the Trap Shed, when he was in my kneck of the woods years ago. I thought he was a good WTA Board member too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums