Home

Cracking walnuts?

Posted By: charles

Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 02:08 PM

Is there a best method for cracking and picking black walnuts. There are many trees where I live now. Think I can train my wife? Haven’t tried a pig castrator yet.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 02:12 PM

Grandpa used to use his 49 Ford PU. Jack the rear of your truck or car up and place a board under the drive tire with the exact amount of space between board and tire to hull or crack the walnuts. Then start it up, sit on a bucket and pitch them under the tire. Easy peasy lol.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 03:04 PM

I picked a bunch with the kids a couple years back, picked em when the green was starting to wrinkle and turn black, and then let them sit until the hull turned all black and crinkly. I couldn't get the hang of it, if I hit them too lightly, they wouldn't break, and if I hit them with enough force to crack them open, they would smash into a hundred pieces. It seemed to be an all-or-nothing thing. I'm interested in how other people do it.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 03:25 PM

you gotta crack them without crushing - a regular nutcracker wont do it.

I do a few (and hickories too) with a pair of channel locks - adjusted so that they cannot crush the whole thing.
but its slow.

if you need to do a bunch, you are probably better off buying (expensive) or building something made to crank it out.

something like this is top notch, but expensive to buy. https://www.photomagnets.com/theworldsbestnutcracker.html
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 03:27 PM

Whack them between two bricks. You will never get them out like English walnuts.

Smash them and sift through the pieces.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 03:32 PM

Black walnut cracker.
Heard it caller a "Cork sizer" too.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 04:16 PM

Ball peen hammer and an anvil. It's hard to get any large pieces. But it doesn't take much black walnut meat to flavor stuff like fudge, they're pretty strong.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 04:24 PM

Hammer on the point, not too hard!, but not too soft either, grin
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 04:29 PM

Eat em shell and all like a peanut. Good fiber.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 04:39 PM

The only way I know to get big pieces out of black walnuts is to use a knife point on the flatter end and split the shell in two. Hold the knife blade close to the point to avoid injury.

Above advice is spot on....they are stronger in flavor and a little bitter. Along the roads in California we could pick up all we want but they were too much work compared to English walnuts.

Good luck

Pete
Posted By: EdP

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 04:45 PM

How about using a vice to give them a squeeze?
Posted By: charles

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 06:03 PM

Would putting them in the freezer overnight help any?
Posted By: huji

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 06:08 PM

I crack them with a hammer. Don't crush them. Just crack them till the shell splits into big pieces. Then, take some pointed wire cutters and snip at strategic locations. You will get some surprisingly large pieces. Practice makes perfect.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by l1ranger

I do a few (and hickories too) with a pair of channel locks - adjusted so that they cannot crush the whole thing.
but its slow.

if you need to do a bunch, you are probably better off buying (expensive) or building something made to crank it out.

something like this is top notch, but expensive to buy. https://www.photomagnets.com/theworldsbestnutcracker.html

Says right in the ad it won't crack black walnuts though.

We always just used a hammer on a solid brick and side cutters to pop open access to bigger pieces like huji mentioned.
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/28/19 09:15 PM

If you live in an area with many walnuts you can pay a commercial cracker. When I was a kid we filled tow sacks with them and spread them on the driveway one layer deep and left them a bit to be run over by the vehicles. Paying a commercial cracker worked much better.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 12:38 AM

Who ever heard tell of "Picking" walnuts? Wouldn't that be a chore.

A friend of mine used to be into cracking walnuts pretty heavy. Good, clean black walnut kernels sell for $10 a pound or better. He made good money.

He'd go out and rake up and shovel up walnuts, then he put them into a concrete mixer, to beat the hulls off of the nut. He'd put some railroad spikes and a crosstie plate or 2 in the mixer and let it roll. I never watched him do it, but he said the nuts will roll up on top. He had drying racks, just 1/2 inch wire mesh nailed on 2 x 4's, kept them up off the ground with good air flow. Out in the sun they were ready to crack in 3 or 4 days.

That's when the work starts. Picking out clean kernels, and keeping all the shell fragments out of the big chunks.

The best walnut cracker that I've ever used was handmade, Granddad made it. Hard to describe, but it had 2 little cups that the nut would fit. I'd guess they were the little cups like you'd have on the end of a U-joint. That hold the needle bearings. Fairly long handle, and you'd bear down on it till the nut cracked. Dump the works out on the table and have at it.

I'll tell you a white cake with black walnuts is hard to beat.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Eat em shell and all like a peanut. Good fiber.

Passing the shells would make you tough!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by charles
Is there a best method for cracking and picking black walnuts. There are many trees where I live now. Think I can train my wife? Haven’t tried a pig castrator yet.

Question #1. Yes, pick them up off the ground when the hulls are green.
Question #2. I highly doubt it!

Drive the truck over the green walnuts to split the hulls. Remove the hulls (with gloves on unless you want black hands for a month), let dry. We would take the hulls off in the Fall and crack them open in the Spring. Dried in the root cellar. If the hulls were not removed they would get maggots when they turned black. Crack them in a vice along the seam.

Good luck with training the wife. When you figure out that formula please pm me! So I can try it on mine.
smile
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 01:15 AM

Cracking black walnuts is easy. A hammer, vice, a couple of bricks, or anything else will do it. Getting the meat out is just about impossible. I've rarely ever managed to get big chunks out.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 01:19 AM

that's the way most do it here. run over them in the driveway to get the hulls off, (gravel drives not paved) then a hammer to crack them and dikes for fine tuning and a pick. An old hand crank corn sheller works real good. Quart jar of black walnut meat will fetch a good price at a farmers market. nothing better in fudge or brownies. Put some in a batch of home made vanilla ice cream. Will make ben and jerry jealous
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
that's the way most do it here. run over them in the driveway to get the hulls off, (gravel drives not paved) then a hammer to crack them and dikes for fine tuning and a pick. An old hand crank corn sheller works real good. Quart jar of black walnut meat will fetch a good price at a farmers market. nothing better in fudge or brownies. Put some in a batch of home made vanilla ice cream. Will make ben and jerry jealous

Danny, can we say dykes on here??? LOL

You nailed it!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 02:20 AM

The old hand corn sheller is the best IMO, but for a few dry the green hulls and crack with a channel locks.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 11:08 AM

Butternuts (White Walnuts) are my favorite.

Couple gallons of nuts in 5 gal bucket with water to cover ,
Set untill hulls darken. (couple days at most)
Paint mixer on a cordless drill.
3-4 minutes of stirring and they are Hulled.
Anyone who has seen the shell of a Butterrnut will see why its so fast and easy.
Toss any floaters away.

To crack;
Leather glove and hold "longways" in a good vice.
( I cup the nut to contain any that may gernade)
I tighten until i hear the crack, and then slightly more to hear a light crunch.
Bigger pieces left, are then opened with Dykes, if needed.

I do several bushels every fall.
Larger pieces are turned into a "Maple Glazed Nuts" .
My Moms old recipie, for friends and family at Christmas.

Smaller pieces are for adding to cakes , fudge . ect.

Good Homade Walnut crackers all over youtube.
This one looks interesting for DIY I deas.

Homemade Nut CRacker
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by l1ranger

but its slow.

Says right in the ad it won't crack black walnuts though.

We always just used a hammer on a solid brick and side cutters to pop open access to bigger pieces like huji mentioned.

it sure does, wrong link

https://www.photomagnets.com/best-black-walnut-nutcracker.html
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 02:28 PM

My mom used to spread them out in the driveway for a short time to get the hulls off then sit on the porch for hours with a hammer and chunk of I beam. She had it down to a science of breaking them things open. Me not so much, my fingers took quite the beating.
I remember going to school and seeing the other kids with black fingers and hands and knowing they had been hulling Black Walnuts.
Posted By: Kent Smith

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 06:13 PM

If you are serious about cracking walnuts and getting 1/2 pieces, look at walnutsaw.com or email Dave Berry at walnutsaw.bis@gmail.com as he has invented a walnut saw that saws the nuts open. Works on hickory nuts also.

TrapperKent
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/29/19 10:16 PM

This is how I do it, I have three chunks of 1 1/2 inch black iron pipe, they are cut just a tad shorter than a black walnut. I also have a chunk of 1/2 inch thick iron about 4 inch square. I set the pipes on a oak stump or board, put 1 nut in each pipe lay the iron on top and smack it with a hammer. It cracks the nut nice but does not crush it. A nut pick gets the meat out with many large pieces. All above posters have good ways of removing hulls. I put them into a 5 gallon bucket green with a little water and pound them with a short post. Dump on my peat moss sifter then hose clean. I store them in a collapsible fish basket till cracking them. Keeps the squirrels out of them. All the squirrels have black faces around here when they start dropping good.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/30/19 02:11 AM

All of this talk about work, I'm going to the grocery store and just fork out the money.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/30/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
All the squirrels have black faces around here when they start dropping good.

Now that is funny, I am going to have to pay closer attention to the squirrels packing them off.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/30/19 03:52 AM

Why in Heaven's name would anyone eat, let alone bother to crack open a black walnut? sick

Now a Brazil nut is another story. They are a bugger to open without destroying the meat, but they are at least edible.

(Can't say what we used to call them.) whistle

Charlie
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 08/30/19 01:34 PM

The best tip that I can give is is after you get done cracking them let the nuts set for a few days and then the meats will loosen up inside the shells and they're much easier to pick
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 09/01/19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
All the squirrels have black faces around here when they start dropping good.

Now that is funny, I am going to have to pay closer attention to the squirrels packing them off.

It is true! Lol little buggers have black faces and paws! I have big Fox squirrels Grays and Blacks here, the Blacks, well they are already black. I will say stepping on walnut hulls barefoot is akin to stepping on Leggos! My wife has knocked a couple holes in the siding shooting them out of the lawnmower, I figure its a small price to have her cut all the grass.
Posted By: sako22

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 09/01/19 11:18 AM

when I was a kid my mamaw and papaw used sharpened horseshoe nails to pick the meat out of the shells
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Cracking walnuts? - 09/01/19 12:45 PM

My wife's grand father was a cigar maker and had cracking and cleaning black walnuts down to an art. I'm told it was his winter thing to relax and crack and picking nuts.My mother inlaw had quart jars of dried nut meat he picked, she used at Christmas for baking..
I unfortunately only met the man when he was on his death bed. My wife seemed to be the only person he recognized at that time and called by name..While we were there talking with him his hands went constantly. They told me he was picking nut and did that right to the minute he died.

I've only ever found dealing with them Black walnuts nothing but frustrating. Squirrels been hauling them along my fence top for a good week now. Going some where across the street someone else yard with them and I hope they bury them there. I find them stuck in weird places. Had one stuck in throttle linkage of my truck, that could been bad. At least it stuck on the wife and wouldn't let her push peddle down instead of wide open.

Mac
© 2024 Trapperman Forums