Home

Big Old Spider

Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 01:42 PM

This puppy has a set of pincers and is building a web that looks like a rope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 01:43 PM

Garden spider!
Posted By: Finster

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 01:44 PM

Orb Weaver I believe.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 01:50 PM

Used to see them all the time while walking beans

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Garden spider!

Any good with pepper and garlic on them ??
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 02:29 PM

Orb Weaver. They are quite tame and can be handled without much fear of getting bit. We used to catch them in the tallgrass prairie areas and relocate them to our yard when I was a kid. Wasted lots of time catching big ol' grasshoppers in the cornfield to feed to them LOL.

In hindsight, none of the habitat we relocated them to was suitable which probably explains why we never saw recruitment year to year in the yard.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 02:48 PM

Yep, always liked. How they bounce the web back and forth, evidently to threaten you! Cool spider. I used to feed them grasshoppers too!
Posted By: Scioto

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 03:17 PM

My Mom used to call them "writing" spiders, If he writes your name in the web look out!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 03:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 04:22 PM

Cedar Hacker- Check the below link for a very comprehensive discussion about the Yellow Garden Spider in Texas
REFERENCE: Male and Female Yellow garden spiders in Texas- http://bugsinthenews.info/araneinae...as-1833-male-joy-r-san-antonio-tx-2010/.

This is a picture of one that made a web on my 4-wheeler several years ago. It includes both a female and male garden spider on the web.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 04:40 PM

That "rope" is to attract insects, iirc
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 07:48 PM

Yep they are the ones that I would walk into their webs and do 6 weeks of cardio in 3 seconds

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/30/19 09:52 PM

Well that booger is definitely lost as there isn't a garden within 5 miles of me and hasn't been in 15 years. I have never seen one here. I guess it could have come in on coastal bermuda or alfalfa hay ?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scioto
My Mom used to call them "writing" spiders, If he writes your name in the web look out!

North Carolina Writin' Spider. "Don't let it see you smile. If it sees your teeth, you'll die." Fortunately for a significant number of North Carolinians, "seeing teeth" is not a threat whatsoever. smile
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 10:48 AM

it would be a died one at our house
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 11:48 AM

I had one of those giant, nasty suckers on me about 15 years ago. I almost killed my self try to get it off. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. I can’t put in words how bad it was.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I had one of those giant, nasty suckers on me about 15 years ago. I almost killed my self try to get it off. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. I can’t put in words how bad it was.

Anachraphoebia.....prolly spelled that wrong! Humans arn't on their grocery list! grin
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 01:36 PM

If you walk around here after dark this time of year, you'll walk through their webs under every tree branch. It makes you dance a little trying to figure where the spider ended up. They take down their webs before sunrise.
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 02:26 PM

This writing spider was in my garden a few years back. It wrote LUAW. I asked some of my FB friends what they thought it meant. Someone said, " Love U Always Wilbur." (from the movie "Charlotte's Web") lol
[Linked Image]

Posted By: cotton

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 03:17 PM

[Linked Image]
wolf
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 03:43 PM

I hate wolf spiders.I saw my fair share of them when I worked in the Badlands of South Dakota,those things could get 3"long and looked liked little Trantulas.An incident that still makes my skin crawl happened in the bathroom at the apartment I lived in at the park.I had 2 towels hanging over the shower curtain rod,one I used as a floor mat and one was for me.They were color coded so I knew which went on the floor.One morning I got up and decided to take a bath,I got in the bathtub,turned on the water,then went to put the towel down for the floor mat.When I spread it out on the floor something in the middle of the towel started moving around trying to get out from underneath it.It actually was moving the towel across the bathroom floor.I had no idea what the he$$ was going on.At one point I watched as he made his way from underneath and started running across the bathroom floor.I couldn't believe I had a spider that size in my apartment,and that it climbed up the wall somehow to hide in my towels.I was glad I was standing in the tub!I had a broom in the bathroom and used it to good effect.Later I found another one not as big but still,living in that apartment.That happened 4 or 5 years ago and to this day when I get towel I look it over before using it.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 04:33 PM

Thats why I have a Kobalt BFH
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Big Old Spider - 08/31/19 06:25 PM

Had a wolf spider on a 2X4 I picked up the thing looked "funny" like a flat paint finish I shook it off the board and when it hit the ground it looked like a bead of hot weld splattering all over, the thing was covered with babies 100's of them very creepy.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Big Old Spider - 09/01/19 12:20 AM

The only good spider is a dead one. I'll take a snake over a spider any time.
Posted By: Jmack

Re: Big Old Spider - 09/01/19 02:31 AM

[Linked Image]
Here is the little guy that crawled over my shoulder the the other day.
I miss seeing those garden spiders.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Big Old Spider - 09/01/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Originally Posted by Pawnee

Anachraphoebia.....prolly spelled that wrong! Humans arn't on their grocery list! grin

They usually don’t bug me. No pun intended, but that dude was as big as a dollar bill. I have handled rattle snakes before, but nothing has ever spooked me like that guy did. I think it’s spelled ”cleanmyshortsimmediatley” Lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums