Home

dorian changes direction.

Posted By: danny clifton

dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 09:44 AM

Now saying the hurricane is going to hit GA, S.C. and N.C.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hurricane...fall-093600651--abc-news-topstories.html
Posted By: John C

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 11:21 AM

I hope it keeps turning out to sea. We just got our beach house put back together from the last storm and there are a lot that haven’t been touched for lack of contractors(or should I say decent ones).
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 12:10 PM

May have to move the boat into the marina ..... could get interesting out here at anchor.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 12:14 PM

I can't believe how slow it's moving, looks like a humdinger!
Posted By: white marlin

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 12:38 PM

Michael,

GET OUT THE WAY!!!

Stay safe, all in harm's way!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 12:54 PM

Seen where it's a Cat 5 now, not looking good for the Bahamas!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Michael,

GET OUT THE WAY!!!

Stay safe, all in harm's way!

I'll make that call whether to move or not tomorrow. i have stuck they Hermine out at anchor with winds up to 78 knots. Mind you the missus was in PA at the time and it was just me and the cats on board. It it stays around 60 we will stay out. Anything more that that in the forecast for this area and we will tie up in the marina.

I just now got home from the marina. Spent the last couple of days tying my customers boats up, taking canvas down etc. Still have not had time to buy milk eggs and bread yet. You watch ..its all going to be over without me getting a single slice of french toast.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 10:56 PM

How do those boat's make it in the marina? Seems like with 100 mph winds they wouldn't still get trashed wouldn't they?
Posted By: adam m

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 11:01 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/01/19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by bbasher
How do those boat's make it in the marina? Seems like with 100 mph winds they wouldn't still get trashed wouldn't they?

During Mathew we has 120 Knots windspeed in the marina. 2 sunk boats a lot of canvas damage and some broken docks. They have upgraded the docks and piles since. So 100 Mph windspeed , though nothing to sniff at should be fine. Storm surge is what does most of the damage here in the low country. Softens the ground then the trees get tipped over as they have nothing to hold onto then in a storm like that.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:19 AM

Update?

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:22 AM

Nothing much yet that thing is still sitting over the Abacos stomping them flat. I guess we will know more tomorrow.
Posted By: white17

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:40 AM

Stay safe there Michael !! We need all you good asylum seekers !!

Wondering about The Boss. I hope he has the formula for Skunky Backbreaker in the waterproof safe !!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 02:06 AM

We will be just fine ... ain't our first rodeo. Going to fill all water tanks tomorrow as drinking water is always in short supply after a good storm surge. Chains for the saws are all sharpened, plenty of fuel and 3 generators serviced and ready to rock. Going to send the missus to get the fixings for the traditional french toast. laugh
Posted By: white17

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 02:08 AM

Curious about the chain saws. Cutting debris off the boat ??
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 02:33 AM

My prediction is that it will not make landfall at all. That does not fit the narrative of the predominantly left leaning weather conglomerate, so of course they will not predict that. They want to go on and on about "all of these huge destructive storms which are on the rise due to climate change," If this storm does not make landfall, their narrative falls flat.
Do they pray to their Climate Change Deity for people to die so they can make a disingenuous point? Sometimes I have to wonder.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 02:34 AM

I talked to my old friend, Bert Austin this afternoon from Hatteras and he said the last two high tides on Hatteras Island had overwash already. Not even two weeks ago the thunder storms that moved through flooded most of the tri-village area with enough rain you could run a skiff down NC 12.
Posted By: Boco

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 04:30 AM

Fake news-fake storm.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 04:33 AM

slowed down to 5 mph to the west so maybe getting ready to head north... be good if it stays out to sea.. media hyps it up but its a big storm.. good luck down there..

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 04:35 AM

My hair dryer blows more than 5MPH.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 10:58 AM

U have hair? Oh that's right its the one u dry beaver pelts with?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 12:41 PM

It is a very powerful storm for sure but it is a small storm in area as most hurricanes go. The wind and rain field are a lot smaller than the storms that caused so much flooding and tree damage in the Carolinas last fall. But for those unfortunate enough to experience the eyewall of Dorian, it will be like a big EF-3 on the tornado scale and with a forward speed of only 5 mph like it is right now, it will seem to last forever. Sure hope it stays off shore, the further off shore, the better!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Curious about the chain saws. Cutting debris off the boat ??

Need them last time to get my truck out of the parking lot and cut up a couple of jammed docks

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:07 PM

Our problem here is mostly the surge. This close to the fall king tides some roads are awash at high tide on a good day. Never mind adding any storm surge to that. That will mean that the drinking water will be compromised again. Hence the evacuations in this area. With the ground waterlogged, it does not take all that much wind to tip a tree over, so there is that.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Psychologists say that many males who blow dry their hair

may be suppressed homosexuals.

Is Canada's master trapper light in the loafers ? laugh

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Psychologists say that many males who blow dry their hair

may be suppressed homosexuals.

Is Canada's master trapper light in the loafers ? laugh

I dont know but i sure wouldnt want to drop the soap in the locker shower!!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 03:47 PM

Boco, I always find that the further away folks are, the braver they get.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 03:52 PM

grin

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 03:55 PM

News just said it is moving at only 1 mph.
Cant imagine having that thing sitting on top of the town.
Unlike a tornado,I guess you cant take shelter below ground or you will drown.
Smart thing would be secure everything down, get out of its way,then go back and rebuild.
Cant understand how people can live in a hot weather place where these things are known to occur on a yearly basis.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 05:29 PM

Dude that's what ya have to put up with if ya want that "salt life sticker" on yer truck crazy
Posted By: Sharon

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 05:35 PM

grin My father earned many of those stickers , Michael ....I have a couple of those myself.

Everyone be safe and prepare well.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 05:48 PM

I'll tow the old girl into the marina in a bit and tie the docks out here together

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 06:45 PM

Lots of places you can live the "salt life" without having to put up with that kind of devastating weather on a regular basis.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 09:17 PM

Boco if the surveyors had not been so bloody late, we would be sitting on our bit of Tennessee by now and I would have just come down for a day or two to secure my customers boats and gone back home again. Its our last one though. Once more into the brach my friends and all that ...... Got her parked in a slip now and am going to have a beer
Posted By: warrior

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 09:21 PM

Smart thing would be secure everything down, get out of its way,then go back and rebuild.
Cant understand how people can live in a hot weather place where these things are known to occur on a yearly basis.

What's our choices? Moving to Canada, no way in (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 09:21 PM

keep safe, my Friend!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 09:23 PM

Everyone still ok?

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 09:34 PM

We are not going to get anything major till in a couple of days from now by the looks of it. Darn thing is stomping around on the spot almost.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 10:43 PM

It's bouncing the rubble. I hate to think what the Bahamas look like now.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/02/19 11:16 PM

The airport there look like an angry sea. Nothing much of it sticking out anymore. The poor folks down there are not getting of lightly thats for sure
Posted By: bblwi

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 12:18 AM

Those things are like hand grenades, close does count. The storm can be 100 plus miles away and still be very destructive.

Bryce

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 12:37 AM

A lot of folks underestimate the surge. It compromises the drinking water. You know the old saying ....water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. It weakens the trees holding and is not good for the roads and foundations of houses either. So yup a storm like that can pass way of shore but still have a nasty impact in the coastal regions.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
A lot of folks underestimate the surge. It compromises the drinking water. You know the old saying ....water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. It weakens the trees holding and is not good for the roads and foundations of houses either. So yup a storm like that can pass way of shore but still have a nasty impact in the coastal regions.

Luisiana and Mississippi had massive fish kills in the bayous from Katrina from the salt influx. They also lost trees to the salt not wind.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 01:37 AM

Saw some pictures

Looks bad!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 01:40 AM

Dare County NC will have mandatory evacuation for visitors starting Tuesday 0800
Then voluntary evac for residents Wednesday 0800.
They are showing on the projected path that it will be downgraded but you have to remember it will still be pushing the storm surge of a Cat 5 even if its a Cat 1 when it gets here

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 01:43 AM

Thats it I am going fishing now. See if the bite is on

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 03:50 AM

Surfs up dude !!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 03:52 AM

looks like its a nice chop........ wont hardly have to jig
Posted By: walleyed

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 11:26 AM

Witness BOCO now back pedaling. laugh
Posted By: pcr2

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 11:28 AM

that's the new nicer Boco,it's from Savell havin his way with him i figure. grin

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 12:26 PM

^^ laugh

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 12:28 PM

Having black drum for dinner tonight. The reds and black were biting well last night but we only kept a couple for the table.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 04:18 PM

Heard one reason Dorian can potentially cause so much destruction is it's only moving about one mph.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/03/19 06:08 PM

Moving house

[Linked Image]

Next time I move her it will be to TN and that will be the last time as well.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 12:37 AM

parts of the bahamas sure look like they got their tail kicked
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 12:49 AM

Dorian just sat there and blew for days over the northern Bahamas, I can't imagine what being under that would be like.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 01:11 AM

The hurricane is not far from us right now and the winds are howling outside. We are thankful the storm has already lost much of its intensity and powerful forces. We have been thru this and much worse before and we will be OK this time.

The people in the Bahamas were not so fortunate. The storm with 185 mph sustained winds and gusts to 220 mph stalled its forward motion over the islands and sat there for over 36 hours. Much of the islands have suffered nearly total devastation there and will be changed forever. The photos and videos from some of those islands are almost unbelievable. So sad to see anyone go thru that.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 01:15 AM

I thought maybe scuba would have taken a boat trip and made a visit to nessmuck, then floated back to home when the storm passed.
Posted By: Art S

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 01:26 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 01:28 AM

Ha ha. grin

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 10:04 PM

Now things are picking up a bit and its beginning to get loud
Posted By: KeithC

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/04/19 10:20 PM

Good luck to you Michael and to the rest of our Trapperman members, who are in the storms path.

Keith

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 01:36 AM

Thank you Keith

Just did a dock walk and thus far next to no damage other that a few popped fenders and some zippers on canvas that quit being zippers.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 01:41 AM

Getting two different reports on death toll on islands.

One says 5 reported dead. The other says there are bodies everywhere and nobody may ever know how many died?

Which is it?

Or is it only five were reported before it got really bad and now it's to chaotic go report?

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 02:03 AM

It will take a while to get any real numbers. The way the place has been flattened, there are bound to be a lot of victims still in the ruins , washed out to sea and whatever else. Whatever bodycount they have to date ..its going to go up in a few days.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 02:13 AM

Probably will be like Katrina the bodies will be counted, some were washed out, and some will just disappear so they can start over.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 02:15 AM

They are reporting 20 confirmed now but I expect there will be lots more. I have seen reports of around 6,000 residents on Abaco alone and the amount of destruction there indicates to me that a lot of them did not survive. And I also doubt that a lot of them will ever be found or accounted for. At this point, counting the dead should not be a high priority. Taking care of the survivors is a mass undertaking and will be for a while.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 02:20 AM

lets face it the storm 180 mph wi[align:center][/align]nds churned over ten for cpl days
Posted By: adam m

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 03:14 AM

You all in the path stay safe and those in Florida watch out for the drugs washing ashore.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 04:33 AM

Dang its back up to a Cat. 3 again

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Leary Sink
Dang its back up to a Cat. 3 again

Looks like it might be a rough ride down your way. Stay safe my friend!

Might drown some of your coyotes and red woofs too.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 06:51 AM

Im pretty sure the last thing left on this sandbar will be a coyote

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 08:18 AM

Some strange light yesterday evening

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 10:51 AM

Great pic Scuba, stay safe.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Great pic Scuba, stay safe.

x2

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 12:34 PM

Dorian is now past us ... the eye is 75 miles from here and moving north east. So the distance is now steadily increasing. We had sustained winds of 65 and gusts of 97 knots during the night. On the last dock walk this morning there was only minor damage to canvas and such. Spending the day before making sure everyone was tied up properly has paid off again. A few popped fenders here and there and some scratches on hulls because of those flat fenders is the extent of the damage as far as I can make out. Oh and the ice freezer tried to go AWOL.

[Linked Image]

Now I can only hope that people that are still in its path get away as lightly as we did ........ I am not the praying type but hoping for the best for all those that still have this in front of them.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 12:49 PM

Glad to hear you made out well.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 12:51 PM

Leary, I think you have a bulls eye plastered to your location. Y'all be safe out there.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 02:26 PM

The wife and I rented a vacation house on Hatteras Island, starting this Saturday. Looking very doubtful now, as Outer Banks have been evacuated. Fortunately we purchased the trip insurance policy.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
The wife and I rented a vacation house on Hatteras Island, starting this Saturday. Looking very doubtful now, as Outer Banks have been evacuated. Fortunately we purchased the trip insurance policy.

Good move on your part. Fixin to be a rough ride down there for a while. Already getting some tornadoes spawned south of there by the hurricane and the projected path has the eye pass very close to Hatteras. And there is not a lot of sand between the ocean and the sound from Hatteras to Nags Head either. Hoping for a sharp turn to the east but it is not looking very likely at this point.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 04:10 PM

A quick clip from this morning after the storm
https://youtu.be/r8nvZ1fGfXA
Posted By: KeithC

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 04:56 PM

Here's Michael's video.

Keith

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/05/19 06:48 PM

A still shot of a tornado with the Bogue Inlet pier in the foreground.
[Linked Image]

Damage caused by the above tornado as it came onshore in Emerald Isle NC. It is one of the 17 tornadoes spawned by hurricane Dorian today.
[Linked Image]

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/06/19 11:56 AM

We came through unscathed. Never lost power, which is a first, but a good first. I hope everyone else on here fared as well.
Posted By: charles

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/06/19 12:39 PM

Eye over Hatteras Island now at 8:30 am. Worst is yet to come. NW winds on backside of hurricane will drive water from Pamlico Sound onto low grounds of barrier islands. Problem for homes.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/08/19 07:09 AM

I came out better than I deserve. Had about 20’ of the top of one maple tree in my yard tear off and landed near the house. Its not often that the old live oaks here twist off limbs but they are everywhere around me.
Avalon and Nags Head fishing piers lost big sections of the ends of the piers due to waves. Several motels had pretty significant roof damage. I have seen more trees snapped in half and blown over than I can ever remember
Hatteras Island and Ocracoke got clobbered with 7 to 9 ft of storm surge as well as Cedar Island. I talked to a friend in Atlantic tonight and she got power back. Last year it took 2 weeks.
We still have power out in several towns due to power poles snapping or blowing over. I got power back last night around 5 pm.

Ocracoke had historical flooding, the are evacuating people by helicopter from roof tops.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/08/19 12:22 PM

It's great to hear you made it through safely Leary. Y'all had it rough over there.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/08/19 03:23 PM

I think I would rather Dodge tornados! Hurricanes are too big!

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/08/19 03:34 PM

Good to hear you got away with it Leary. We were lucky

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/09/19 02:01 AM

Thank y’all, Scuba and Paul for your thoughts.
I spend the whole day helping neighbors on my street cut down leaning trees and cut up limbs. I have suddenly realized I’m too old for such foolishness. I didn’t lose even a shingle but I about had to throw my under drawers away a couple of times. I have been told that winds at the Alligator River Bridge were clocked in excess of 85. That’s about 30 miles inland from me.
I’m seriously considering if another one comes up the pipe as a Cat 3 or more I will just hoof it through the woods to the Wright Brothers Memorial and sit on the lee side of the monument. I will be about 100 ft. above any sea water and the wind will be blocked by the granite monument.

Of course I will probably go to federal prison for doing that, LOL,

Let’s all keep those affected by this hurricane in our thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/09/19 02:06 AM

My brother is in Nova Scotia today. Said they’re getting pounded. No power or cable. Can’t watch Steeler game.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/09/19 10:38 AM

I have not watched anything to do with the National Felon League since they started all that kneeling stuff.
Nowdays you have some millionaire cry baby overdoses in a hotel with a hooker and its national news covered every hour but a member of our country's armed forces gets killed and it gets no mention of the life they gave for our country.

Re: dorian changes direction. - 09/09/19 12:56 PM

[quote=Bigbrownie]My brother is in Nova Scotia today. Said they’re getting pounded. No power or cable. Can’t watch Steeler game.[/quote]

Who would have thought that a hurricane has a positive side
© 2024 Trapperman Forums