Home

Are you ready for fur trapping season?

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 01:40 PM

Here it is already September 1. It is going into the 90’s with a nice bright sun today in my neck of the woods so I am going to make my last batch of wax dirt through solar power. And then I’m ready. How about you? Are you behind or on track with preparations?
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 01:48 PM

I feel barely on track. Solar waxed dirt here today as well. Stocked up on all my predator lures, including making a decent batch of my own. Still need to buy beaver lures, but I have time for that. Buying a dozen more coyote traps at the MTA rendezvous next weekend. Couple dozen more snares there as well, from Allan Minnear. Other than that, pretty much all set other than dying and waxing traps at the end of the month, before wolf season opens.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 01:49 PM

I’m behind and it’s all I can think about sick
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 01:56 PM

Almost
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 01:57 PM

Wax dirt is ready and DP are painted. Got my coon bait ready to go. Still need to dye and wax my MB 550 and get lure.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 02:01 PM

Mostly ready here. Actually got traps dyed and waxed a couple months ago. Got all the lures and baits made, might tweak and play with some new versions just for fun. Need to get a cage or two ready to collect a little pee.Getting things ready for deer hunting then soon as that's over look out coyotes.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 02:10 PM

Really behind. But will hopefully be ready for when I need to be.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 02:12 PM

As soon as spring beaver ends I go through all my traps and get ready for the upcoming season. I've been ready since June except for a week of work that can't be done until just before season.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 02:19 PM

Still have 3 to 4 doz traps under water from December of last year. Don't know what I'll find if the water ever recedes enough to even look.
Plan on having an inventory of traps tomorrow. Was wanting to buy more land use traps but may have to buy a couple dozen 1 1/2's so I can provide the goods for my meat market.
So I guess you could say I was way behind....good thing for me this go around that fur is cheap.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 05:27 PM

Last couple of years were a nogo due to bad knees, but they are both better now [took like 3 years, maybe even 4 to fully heal...] and this year I thought was going to be a total loss due to lower back issues with pinched nerves but an accupressure mat fixed that so yes, I am way behind... to the point where the best I can hope for is seeing if I can help out the State Biologists with their Bobcat Research Project if it is still on this year, which I think would be year # 3.

Next year though I will be ready !!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 05:49 PM

I'm ready to go as soon as the fur market comes back. When will that be?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 05:50 PM

LOLDirt.Good answer.
I think I'll just trap beaver wolf mink fox lynx and otter this year.
Only fur that sells good at the Native pow wows and as mitts and hats.
I'll let the rest die in the bush.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 05:54 PM

I haven’t even thought about trapping season much this year yet. Got a pile of work to do before trapping and have no ambition to get the work done first. Just enjoying the coffee for now!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 06:07 PM

I will start going out and getting things ready when bird season opens on sept 15.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 06:13 PM

I'm always thinking about trapping. Yesterday the grandson's and I renewed permissions, and gained 2 more.
Got a few mink boxes out and ready for November.
Also picked up a few piles of scat for this year.
I start dyeing and waxing 2 weeks before season. I never saw the reasoning behind dyeing and waxing early, to easy to get them contaminated. And then your back to square one.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 06:52 PM

No but I haven't been ready for the last 50 years so why change now
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/01/19 08:47 PM

Some things are completed, some are not and some will be abandoned. My hip replacement surgery on July 24th is coming along very well but there will be limitations for sure and I may well need to have a couple plan Bs ready to go. I know I won't be starting early and that suits my situation well this year. It sure takes a long time to get the strength back and the stiffness out.

Bryce
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 11:44 AM

no wife goes back to work next week so I will have all week to get trapping stuff ready
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 11:53 AM

nope,not even close
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 12:02 PM

I am about ready. Looks like quite a few beaver around here. I have to repair the exhaust on my truck yet.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 12:06 PM

Bait and lure yes...tuning and waxing, not yet.
Jim
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 10:42 PM

Just getting started here. Ordered the last of my supplies today and next up is making the rounds door to door to make sure I can trap again on the places I have been. Will probably boil and dye traps in a few weeks. Permissions take the most time of all.

The best gear and trapper are worthless unless you're making sets where theres animals.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 11:32 PM

Yep ready
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/02/19 11:59 PM

Yes very ready. Getting to many coyote pictures on out trail cams
Posted By: sandhillscoyotes

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/03/19 12:20 AM

Everything is ready except make wax sand clean the shed and put the new tires on the tacoma and then the wait
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Are you ready for fur trapping season? - 09/03/19 12:32 AM

I just got my permit today that allows me access on 1000s of acres. That only equates to about 6-8 stops on my water line. Other than that I will be throwing a couple boxes of traps on my pickup the day before.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums