Posted By: warrior

Alcoholism - 09/02/19 11:56 PM

Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Alcoholism - 09/02/19 11:59 PM

Some folks can beat it and some can't.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:04 AM

X2 all above.
I was bad in my younger years. Lost lots of friends and family because of it. I think one of the saddest was a good friend who was drinking a fifth of vodka a day and that was just vodka.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:06 AM

Agreed! Terrible addiction.

Chris
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:14 AM

lost 3 uncles to it , yup it sucks
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:16 AM

Putting the "plug in the jug" is just the tip of the ice berg. The ism part of that disease is nasty as well! Lots of demons to deal with and it takes constant work to keep on top of them.

Bryce
Posted By: Jags

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:21 AM

It has wrecked alot of families.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:24 AM

All I've learned about it is you really can't help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jags
It has wrecked alot of families.

It did immeasurable harm to the family I grew up in.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 12:55 AM

Sucks is a mild word for it. I come from a very long line of drunks. Both parents and step-dad were addicts, as were all three of my siblings. I saw enough B.S. growing up that I decided 36+ years ago that I was done drinking for good. I'd be dead like all the rest of my family if I hadn't stopped.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:33 AM

Lot of WW2 guys succumbed to alcoholism eventually. In our case,we caste aside any observation of which would be relevant. Many of us felt they earned it. It was something not thought of.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:36 AM

Killed my Dad eventually.

Moosetrot
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:39 AM

I don't drink because my old man was one. Hated him the whole time but still thank him for showing me what not to be!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:49 AM

I have three friends that where hard core drinkers, then they stopped drinking there were all together different people. But they never said there were alcoholics.
Posted By: Sis

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:51 AM

It does, Warrior. Every day.

Be safe. Call for help if you or someone needs it.

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 01:51 AM

Strict handedness,..I admire my father for setting so forth,...it's with reason and thought
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 02:14 AM

Any drug addiction is hard on families. Nicotine, ethanol, heroin or meth. Doesn't really matter.

I can consume ethanol in small amounts and go weeks without a single beer. I don't understand why that is. I had to quit tobacco. I have no control over it at all. Cigars cigarettes chew, I like it all. Absolutely can not control my intake other than abstinence.

I feel sorry for addicts to a point. I wont give an addict money no matter what. I have fed people. I guess that is providing money in a round about way. Even addicts need to eat though.

Warrior whatever your going through I truly hope it gets better.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 02:27 AM

Don't touch the stuff never had a talent for it never will, NOTHING good has ever come from it!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 02:28 AM

Mama didn’t raise no quitter......guess I don’t have that gene....can have 1 dram of Scotch and be done....2-3 beers and be done.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 02:37 AM

It isn't always a mental health issue. Being Indian I have seen it destroy many people who were not trying to forget or run from anything. They flat out liked the effect.
It may not always be a mental health issue, but abuse of substance is always a bad issue.

Osky

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 02:49 AM

They flat out liked the effect.

That is a foundation to draw from!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 03:07 AM

Yep,feel sorry for them that cant hold their liquor.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 03:12 AM

22 years this weekend...

Sober... not a drop...

If I can do it anyone can, with the help of God and Family...
Posted By: Ole

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 03:36 AM

I believe the statistics are that about 40% of alcoholics/drug abusers have an underlying mental health issue as well. Both need to be treated simultaneously for any success. Addiction alone is hard enough.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:01 AM

Congratulations bulletbox. I celebrated 13 years on 8/9 . It's amazing how much life can change when you put down the drink. To all that need/ want help there are many willing to help if you want it.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:17 AM

Hear a lot of talk of mental health etc. around drugs and alcohol. I feel all that talk is simply a state of human existence. I don’t know anyone with a perfect life. I don’t know any family without tragedy. In our endeavors to understand things scientifically we tend to lose sight of our humanness. Some folks are good singers, some are good drinkers. Of course some folks aren’t good at those things at all. There’s no formula or code to determine who gets hooked or not. And for God’s sake don’t call it a disease. A drunk and and a cancer patient get life in prison, who gets better?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:23 AM

never figured out if i was a really good drinker or a really bad one,just know its a definate no no for me.have said a hundred times i think i'll have a couple beers and a case later i'm lookin for more--every time.a little jealous of those that can have that just one or 2 but i'm a zero tolerance person at this point in my life.i tell people i'm retired now.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:30 AM

The Bible speaks of drunkenness.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 03:33 PM

Drinking is a funny thing, it seems that for much of the 1980s and 1990s, plus a good chunk of the 2000s into the 2010s - it was nothing but an endless party.
But about 4 or 5 years ago, I started to see things differently and all of a sudden I could not stand being around people who were drunk.

Now, as I told one of the staff when I just had my physical done [which I aced at age 54, I just need to lose weight - which is another major crisis in this country that takes peoples lives too soon] when she asked me if I drink, without even thinking I replied "Four cans of Guinness on Saturday evenings..." to which she responded "oh, ok... moderate"

She probably never heard that as an answer before !!

But seriously, I'm the only child, my parents are both aging and I need to be there for them, and I can't if I am in a stupor.
Plus, I have a very special dog who I rescued, and one day several years back she gave me this look when I was getting ready to tie one on, and that was it.

I never got drunk ever again, and truth be told I do not miss it one bit.

But I do need to lose 50 lbs, as I'm getting tired of being known as Big George around these parts - and I will.
I'm just thankful to God that I am able to start focusing on this - for real - before my health turns bad.

Someone mentioned earlier here how the key with quitting the drink is that they have to really want to.

This is absolute truth, because when one wants to do something, then they will... and they will succeed too !!

So, instead of getting wasted, I now sit in my garden with my dog and listen to all the night creatures and for the first time in my life, truly enjoy my present situation and thank God for giving me a new lease on life.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 04:05 PM

32 years sober......one day at a time.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 04:14 PM

That's Awesome Big George!!!
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 04:55 PM

Never could figure out WHY it is so hard to quit drinking or smoking, when all they had to do; was take the approach my Uncle took to get his Wife to quit drinking and smoking.

Years ago, my Aunt smoked Camel 100's 2 Packs a day. Well, her Doctor told my Aunt to quit smoking. Did she quit??? NOPE...

Caught pneumonia not long after that, and it scared her lungs. STILL SMOKED!!

One day, my Aunt came home from shopping, and my Uncle noticed the Carton of Camel 100's in one of the grocery bags. My Uncle told my Aunt " YOUR DOCTOR TOLD YOU TO QUIT SMOKING!! YOU ARE QUITTING TODAY!!! "

My Uncle grabbed the brand new carton of Camel 100's and threw them into the roaring hot fireplace!!

My Aunt blew a fit!! Ran out and headed back to the store for another Carton of Camel 100's.

My Uncle saw the 2nd Carton of Camels when she came back home. He said to my Aunt. Your Doctor told you to quit smoking!!" He grabbed the 2nd Carton and threw them into the Fireplace. Then, he took my Aunt into the Kitchen, and proceeded to tell my Aunt that " YOU ARE QUITTING DRINKING TODAY !! " My Uncle then took out all the Beer, Wine, Dewar's White Label Scotch, Jack Daniels Whiskey, Southern Comfort, Vodka and Gin; and had my Aunt watch as he opened EVERY BOTTLE AND POURED EVERY BOTTLE DOWN THE KITCHEN SINK!!!

By that time, My Aunt had no money left to buy any cigarettes; or anything else for the Month.

BUT , SHE QUIT COLD TURKEY!!!

That is how you dry someone out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do recall that my Uncle said that for the next 30 days, it was pure misery !!!

Now, why don't more people do something like that to their Husband or Wife ???
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 04:58 PM

50 years and counting. Could have been a lot different.
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 05:06 PM

Years ago I worked with a lady whose husband had lost most of his lower jaw to cancer. He had a hole in the front of his neck from a tracheotomy I guess. He also used an oxygen bottle. He would come to pick her up at work and while waiting would smoke a cigarette by sticking it into that hole in his throat. The wife always told him he was going to hit his oxygen hose one day and blow his head off. He didn't care- he couldn't say no to Life in Marlboro Country.

Addiction is sad, destructive, and expensive in so many ways. No one starts out to be addicted.

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 06:07 PM

There is a considerable difference between being a heavy drinker and an alcoholic and many don't understand those differences. Yes heavy drinkers can and o become alcoholics but many alcoholics are predestined to become addicted if they choose to drink. I don't know one alcoholic that when he/she took their first drink that they hoped they would become hopelessly addicted, destroy the lives of friends and family and slowly or quickly drink until death. I came from a family with many alcoholics so I should have known better but I too became alcoholic and went down that road. I am now closing in on 31 years but we do this one day at a time, sometimes a minute at a time. When one is in the company of many others I often overhear comments very disparaging about drunks and alcoholics. Early in sobriety those statements would anger me, now I accept the fact that others are entitled to whatever opinion they hold. I am the only one that needs to remember I can't have a drink and that is as it should be.

Bryce
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 08:13 PM

Supposedly, "moderation" is 2 beers a day. Lately Ive been having closer to 5 a day because of the heat. Ive also noticed a decrease of lead in the pencil, so to speak. Not only under the influence but also when not under the influence during the day. Or, could be the 63 yr old factor!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 08:43 PM

I have never been much of a drinker. I have had 2 good friends who died from being alcoholics. Rick was one of the best dog trainers in the US. Rick won the Nationals and trained springer spaniels professionally. Rick taught me how to trap pigeons. Leroy was my trapping, hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, pigeon buddy. Both, if given access to alcohol, would drink until they passed out. Both were otherwise great human beings. Both were very sad drunks. Both would eventually turn yellow from drinking and smell horrible, as their kidneys and livers failed, until they were committed to a treatment program. Rick's wife would have an ambulance take him to the hospital and get him committed. I would pick Leroy up to "go fishing" and meet his mother at a hospital to have him committed. Both would be strapped to a bed for about 5 days, while they detoxed. After around 2 weeks of counseling, they would be released and within a few days to a a few months, they would start drinking again, until they turned yellow again and were committed again. Both eventually died quickly of cancer from poisoning their bodies for so long with alcohol.

Seeing them drink themselves to death made me drink even less. I think they should make highschool students spend 24 hours with a late stage alcoholic. Alcohol would loose all coolness to them.

Keith
Posted By: CGBurnett

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:05 PM

I'm an alcoholic. Since my wife died I took to drinking. Been 2 1/2 years since. drink at least 10 fire ball shots almost every night. Been through a lot went to councilor ( don't believe in them) they tell you what you already know.they wanted to put me in hospital to detox. Over the years i have missed work, been dehydrated and called 911 cause i thought i was having a stroke, crying on the phone with my bro, It does suck I guess it just puts me in another state of mind where I really don't care.If it wasn't for my 2 little dogs I probably wouldn't be in this world. It's hard especially when something happens in your life.I quit for 11 days one time then back to drinking. I keep telling myself Im going to quit but again puts me where I don't think of stuff i guess. I would say anyone who has the problem try to get some help. Just doesn't work for me. I spent 20 years in MC and am hard headed I guess.Alcoholism is bad I know.I"m trying to quit again. Just have all kind of excesses. At least I admit it. Just thought I would vent a little because some wont. OK pray for me. I'm just a mess.. not looking for sympathy. just in my head I know what I have to do IT IS JUST HARD BY MYSELF. Thanks for listening CGB
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:22 PM

I wish strength to all of you.

CGBurnett, my heart goes out to you. I was widowed when I was 32 and my world was destroyed. You are in a painful tough place, but know that there are some of us who would listen to you any day. Hang in there!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:27 PM

My brother drank himself to death, refused all help saying he didn't have a problem, lost his wife and kids, blamed everyone, but held out special condemnation for me, for everything bad that happened to him, held grudges against almost everyone for alleged offenses that were over 40 years old, alleged cause I was there and nothing ever happened the way he remembered, and alienated everyone that loved him, He'd drink till he passed out.

He ended up dead in his house, alone, took a week for neighbors to notice.
Posted By: CGBurnett

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:28 PM

I seen this post and thought of myself. Thanks for listening trapper man family.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 10:48 PM

Terriable addiction. I have seen many families destroyed and very sad for the people that love them that are addicted. So sad.

I maybe have a couple beers a year, never seen any joy or value in drinking.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Alcoholism - 09/03/19 11:53 PM

When I sober up I have anxiety attacks. Its best just to keep drinking for me. Its working out so far, I can still do my stuff, and ill caught and process 300 coyotes.

We are all just people arent we.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 12:51 AM

We are indeed. I prefer the Herb for anxiety, ha. Helps me most times, though I do know a few folks who feel worse when they partake. Depends on the strain & source I guess.

Slowed down quite a bit on my drinking about a year ago. Now it's once every blue moon for me. Quit binge drinking on top of that. One or two drinks is my limit.
Posted By: trapete

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 01:00 AM

Been sober going on 7 months next week .Something I had to do, wish I had done it a long time ago. I feel so much better and healthier. CG Burnett pm me if you wanna talk.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by CGBurnett
I seen this post and thought of myself. Thanks for listening trapper man family.

Been drug free since April 1986. If you need to talk call me anytime. jim Clarke 440-799-9736
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 02:21 AM

I'm allergic to alcohol, I break out. I break out doors, windows, teeth......
Posted By: Marty

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 02:27 AM

Been clean and sober for many years.....life is good, embrace it while you can.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Sucks (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

So...why do you bring it up...do you need some help ?

This has been your only post on this thread. I'll be sober 21 years here shortly, just sayin'.

Thanks to alcohol, I don't drink today.

Les.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 03:05 AM

Ive had maybe a case of beer total in the last 15 yrs. And i will spilt a margarita with the wife if we end up at a sit down mexican joint once in awhile.

Just not much of drinker , no drugs and rarely even an asprin

When i see alcohol doing good in peoples lives i will start drinking like a fish grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 03:33 AM

What is this some kind of online AA meeting?
If you cant swig a 66 pounder you aint no trapper.
Now Off to church with y'all.
I bet even that passy walleyes has a swig once in a while.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 10:57 AM

grew up with a dad that drank ,he always said he wasn't a alcoholic ,because he never miss work ,but he was a drunk ,always drank 12-14 beer an 8-10 shot ,every day don't know why he drank had a loving wife ,that put up with it an a family that loved him ,my oldest brother also drank an did drugs he died at 54 , very sad what addiction does to people life's ,for this reason my kids have never seen me drunk , I never wanted my kids to go through what we did as kids
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Lol
Posted By: LDW

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 12:59 PM

I got divorced 20 years ago because my ex is an alcoholic. She would start as soon as the bar opened at noon and would stay until it closed at 1am. She quit working and would spend 50 dollars a day, that was 20 years ago. Today she rents a bedroom in a basement from a guy and drinks herself into Oblivion everyday. She's 60 and never figured she would love this long. Oh, also has 3 DWI.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by LDW
I got divorced 20 years ago because my ex is an alcoholic. She would start as soon as the bar opened at noon and would stay until it closed at 1am. She quit working and would spend 50 dollars a day, that was 20 years ago. Today she rents a bedroom in a basement from a guy and drinks herself into Oblivion everyday. She's 60 and never figured she would love this long. Oh, also has 3 DWI.

Sad. I think there's many more female alcoholics than people realize.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 01:18 PM

I sat on my dock and sipped 3 Old Fashions last night. I really enjoyed it. smile
Posted By: gman

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 01:24 PM

I don't drink because my old man was one. Hated him the whole time but still thank him for showing me what not to be!

I can certainly relate to that !! When my Dad was drinking I always said-He was a very good example of a bad example-BTW he quit drinking over 40 years ago!!! I also said if he could quit anybody could....
Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by CGBurnett
I'm an alcoholic. Since my wife died I took to drinking. Been 2 1/2 years since. drink at least 10 fire ball shots almost every night. Been through a lot went to councilor ( don't believe in them) they tell you what you already know.they wanted to put me in hospital to detox. Over the years i have missed work, been dehydrated and called 911 cause i thought i was having a stroke, crying on the phone with my bro, It does suck I guess it just puts me in another state of mind where I really don't care.If it wasn't for my 2 little dogs I probably wouldn't be in this world. It's hard especially when something happens in your life.I quit for 11 days one time then back to drinking. I keep telling myself Im going to quit but again puts me where I don't think of stuff i guess. I would say anyone who has the problem try to get some help. Just doesn't work for me. I spent 20 years in MC and am hard headed I guess.Alcoholism is bad I know.I"m trying to quit again. Just have all kind of excesses. At least I admit it. Just thought I would vent a little because some wont. OK pray for me. I'm just a mess.. not looking for sympathy. just in my head I know what I have to do IT IS JUST HARD BY MYSELF. Thanks for listening CGB

CGBURNETT I understand your post better than I should. I am in kinda the same place but I still have a loving wife and kids. lotta bad stuff happened when I was young. abused by my dad and was told to never tell or he would kill me. I'm 58 now and am 3 1/2 mths sober so far. I didn't remember a lot of things till after he died 2 years ago then the memories came flooding back, I couldn't understand why am I now dealing with this but with the help of a councilor i am now allowed to face these things because he can no longer hurt me. it really sucks and drinking does put me on the other side of things where i don't care. i was told I'm a much happier guy when I'm drinking. middle son got married in may and asked me to stop drinking so i could maybe someday see his children. (that should sober me up) so i quit on Friday 5/17 he got married 5/19 and ive been struggling every day and almost every minute. sometimes if i can just get thru the evening and go to bed early it helps. evening and night time has always been the worst.
my favorite drink is Burnetts vodka straight out of the bottle, usually a 5th a day or more.
CG i feel your pain
Tom

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 04:27 PM

I don't feel that was or is the intention with the posters here but relating life situations has value in many ways.

On another note there are many alcoholics for a whole host of reasons find value and meaning in online meetings and discussion. It is good for those that need a meeting to know that they can find one.

Bryce
Posted By: adam m

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 04:39 PM

CGBurnett, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your bride and have been struggling with it and the booze. I'll pray for you and if you need to vent feel free I'm always available and am usually up late
Posted By: Ken Mclellan

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 05:31 PM

My grandmother called it devil p-ss. I think she might be right.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 05:40 PM

Well, one thing for sure, don't outlaw it. We should be able to remember how that all turned out.

Zim
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I'm allergic to alcohol, I break out. I break out doors, windows, teeth......

Occasionally even break out in handcuffs...

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kre
I sat on my dock and sipped 3 Old Fashions last night. I really enjoyed it. smile

Old Grandad or something fancy???

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:14 PM

I need a drink...
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Beaglador
I need a drink...

Free country.... go get one... u felt the need to type this out for us because??
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:24 PM

I drank a 12 to 18 pack a day, and whiskey whenever it was available. I’d drink first thing in the am till I passed out at night. Lots of folks told me I was an alcoholic, but I knew I wasn’t. Then, by the grace of God, my now ex wife and I got divorced. I haven’t had a drop since 2 months before she walked out the door 2 years ago. Turns out, when she went away, so did my drinkin problem. Right now I’m sitting on the beach in Jamaica with my beautiful amazing new wife on our honeymoon. I’m sipping coffee and water and happier than I’ve ever been in my 38 years of existence.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Alcoholism - 09/04/19 06:29 PM

Wow! Incredible stories shared here. To those that conquered the addiction congratulations. To those still struggling or have never faced the reality and difficulty of quitting give it your best effort but please seek help if needed! God Bless you all!

Chris
© 2024 Trapperman Forums