Home

Lets play the retirement game!

Posted By: JeffMcam

Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 06:57 PM

Ok- I’m still about 20 years from retirement, but my wife and I have been playing the game of where to retire.

She wants to winter in the south. My criteria would be a small town, small house/area and CLOSE to good deer hunting. I’ve hunted areas in Alabama that would fit the bill, Same with Texas, but TX is a bit harder for hunting access. I’d want to get in on a lease.

Buck a day in AL/MS – leases available-
Want to play the game?
What are some areas that may be no snow in the winter for the wife and quiet front porch livin with good hunting and deer walking through the yard. Does this place exist?
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 07:28 PM

Consider that many hunt leases and property owners/managers would not want a "full time" deer hunter in their membership. A good plan would be to buy your own hunting land now, have it paid off by retirement date, and not have to ever deal with hunt clubs/leases and other people.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 08:05 PM

Coat coon are always coat coon you can't get oranges in MN for the same reason! LOL wink
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 09:11 PM

Look south and west of Tuscaloosa County in Alabama. Hale, Greene, Pickens, Sumter, and Marengo counties would be of interest to you.

Land is cheap, towns are small, and no snow. The economies are crap, there's nothing to do, and you wouldn't want your kids going to school there, but just within the parameters that you set in the scenario any of these counties would fit the bill.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 10:01 PM

Out of the country where your nest egg will really go far. I'm thinking about it.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 10:15 PM

California doesn't have snow, deer and yotes will be all over the place by then
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 10:36 PM

Your wife might not be happy, but Manitoba is pretty dang good! I couldn’t picture myself living anywhere else. You learn to love winter here!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/06/19 10:38 PM

Actually you’re not that far away. Wife would still be close to home.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 12:21 AM

As far as California’s goes, I think hunting is the next thing to be outlawed
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 12:30 AM

a trapper that doesn't like snow? isn't that like a farmer that doesn't like rain?
Posted By: charles

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 02:18 AM

Either Carolina and northern Ga. Deer will not be trophy.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 04:00 AM

The further south you go, you need to go up in elevation and far away from the coast for a better midsummer experience.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 11:48 AM

If you can hear Banjo music.....your too far south.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 11:55 AM

She'll have to get used to bugs and snakes.
Posted By: 653

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/07/19 02:34 PM

shes from MN so shes used to bugs n snakes especially those skeeters!!!
Posted By: JeffMcam

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/09/19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by sanfo008
Look south and west of Tuscaloosa County in Alabama. Hale, Greene, Pickens, Sumter, and Marengo counties would be of interest to you.

Land is cheap, towns are small, and no snow. The economies are crap, there's nothing to do, and you wouldn't want your kids going to school there, but just within the parameters that you set in the scenario any of these counties would fit the bill.

Excellent- thank you for the info. I've hunted around Millers Ferry, Clio and Union Springs in AL- loved those areas in the world of the outdoors/hunting/fishing.

"a trapper that doesn't like snow? isn't that like a farmer that doesn't like rain?"
Oohhhh, I personally love the snow and winter- better than the summer months. BUT- my wife does not. ;o)

Maybe I can talk her out of it in 20 years- i'll start talking about poisonous snakes now, maybe that will help.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Lets play the retirement game! - 09/09/19 08:48 PM

It sounds like scenic Bena, MN would be perfect for you! If the wife wants farther south you could always compromise and move to Boy River.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums