Home

What states have the most affordable land?

Posted By: NE Wildlife

What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 12:45 AM

Just out of curiosity what states have affordable
Recreation land? Around me in northeast Wisconsin
Land is fairly reasonable, probably averages 2k per acre
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:04 AM

Wow that’s great. I live in the middle of Delaware and your looking at 35-50K per acre, forty minutes north or south of me I’m going to pay 80-100k per acre. I will say the south west part of the state is our most affordable part at about 25-30k per acre.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Wow that’s great. I live in the middle of Delaware and your looking at 35-50K per acre, forty minutes north or south of me I’m going to pay 80-100k per acre. I will say the south west part of the state is our most affordable part at about 25-30k per acre.

No wonder people join hunting leases! Seriously, folks actually pay 35G to 100G per acre? The low end of that would be 2.8 million bucks for 80 acres!
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:12 AM

Up here your talking around a $1,000 an acre.Of course,that depends on what your looking at.Lake front property is considerably more,and I've seen property that was back in the bush aways with poor access and no power sell for less.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

No wonder people join hunting leases! Seriously, folks actually pay 35G to 100G per acre? The low end of that would be 2.8 million bucks for 80 acres!

The 100k land is where a lot of people are and the coast, near the beaches. Good land goes for 25-50k, farm land and wooded lots usually. You can find some lots for less but it usually has timber easements or some kind of problem.

Hunting lease hear is usually only a couple grand a year if you can get a group of people together to split the costs. Or a hunt club will be about 1k or so.

Well knock me over. I just looked and they have a couple wood lots that are between 2-4K per acre. They are timber conservation easements. Says it already has trails and is good for hunting.

Way down away from me though.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:14 AM

In WI recreational land values vary considerably based on a few of the following
1. Is it upland, low and or wet?
2. How close or far away is good rec land from population centers such as Fox Valley, Twin Cities, South East WI, Dane Co, Chicago
3. What is the rec land going to be used for? as to type and species of hunting, managed forest harvest, rec usage as to 4-wheelers etc.
4. Is there water frontage associated with the land, accessible lake frontage, moving water frontage, poorly drained frontage
5. Economy of the state or nation where potential buyers live and work
6. Turn over has been a bit higher the last decade as a lot of persons who bought in the 80s and 90s lives have changed and or families are changed.
7. Road frontage and type of road, access to large tracts of public land nearby, electrical power etc.
8. Tax laws or taxes for rec land is high compared to value and when owners wanted to use the property for say hunting, managed forest etc. they tolerated that. Now with changes in habitat, populations of wildlife, forest values many are looking to sell. More would be sold if many owners would accept the current market prices that are being offered.

Bryce
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:29 AM

Here in southern Illinois recreational land sells for 2000-3000 per acre. Farm land from 3000-12000 depending on productivity.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:33 AM

Acres and acres of hunting land is dirt cheap in Northern Ontario,and it is often bordered by thousands of acres of crown land,river frontage etc.
Posted By: 080808

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 01:36 AM

40 acres sold recently for $750/ acre on a paved town road. No power but good deer hunting.
Posted By: run

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 02:17 AM

Not Virginia.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 02:42 AM

East Tennessee it's around $2,000-$4,000 acre for mtn land, good flat ground is twice that
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 10:51 AM

farm ground 6000 per acre here
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 10:58 AM

Not central illinois. Everything is expensive here. The county tells you how much your place is worth for taxes but when you sell you can't get that and then they that say it's still worth more and it's not their fault if you do a bad job selling it.
$5,000 an acre for rough ground. Three times that for tillable land. We also have lots of idiots posing as realtor selling hunting ground.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 11:40 AM

any ocean-front property.

of course, you'll only have it for 12 years...
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 11:54 AM

Not Pa
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 05:59 PM

My desire to own land was the main reason I moved from MT back home to northern Maine. 500-700/acre here, though I have paid less than that as well. A lot of folks from away move here because of the cheap land. Most don't last more than a couple winters though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 06:27 PM

Not Alaska.
Posted By: tjm

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/07/19 06:46 PM

Cheapest land is always where no one wants to live and where there are no jobs.
Recreation land with a bowling alley or race track or water park on it naturally costs more, but has greater profitability potential.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by tjm
Recreation land with a bowling alley or race track or water park on it naturally costs more, but has greater profitability potential.

So, are they giving away land in Detroit or East L.A.?
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Originally Posted by tjm

So, are they giving away land in Detroit or East L.A.?

I believe they are paying people to take it

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 07:53 PM

I don't know about Detroit,but Flint Mich practically is.I grew up there,and its nothing to find homes for $15,000-$20,000.These were very desirable neighborhoods when I grew up there in the '70's,and actually,some of homes and/or neighborhoods aren't bad today.But the real estate market isn't there anymore.Its about as unpopular as property in the middle of nowhere with poor access and no power,considered undesirable by most.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 09:25 PM

Alaska's land isn't the cheapest to buy. When purchased outside an organized borough it is the cheapest to own. Zero rent to the government each year. Compared to the northeast US it is an unreal bargain not to mention no zoning and no building codes.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Up here your talking around a $1,000 an acre.Of course,that depends on what your looking at.Lake front property is considerably more,and I've seen property that was back in the bush aways with poor access and no power sell for less.

I saw a piece in your neck that was dirt cheap. The only problem was that the only access to it was a "navigable " river.
Posted By: murderspolywog

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 09:59 PM

NV has sheep land if you don’t mind the desert and can find water. Some of it is as cheep as 99 an acre.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by jwood
My desire to own land was the main reason I moved from MT back home to northern Maine. 500-700/acre here, though I have paid less than that as well. A lot of folks from away move here because of the cheap land. Most don't last more than a couple winters though.

I looked at places a little bit ago up there and there are some great deals. But to much snow for me now lol.

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

I saw a piece in your neck that was dirt cheap. The only problem was that the only access to it was a "navigable " river.

Just before I came on here I was looking at property north in Houghton county,thats the tip of the U.P.I found more than a few similar to what you described,a 40 going for $27,500,another 40 for $25,000.If you like locations like this,with lonnnnngggg winters you'll love it there.Most people don't.

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 10:57 PM

Pike,you jarred a memory from 40 years ago.I was 18,and wanted to head north(I lived in southern Michigan then).I got a bunch of real estate brochures and found property on one of the major rivers up here.Only access was by boat.I can't remember now if they were 10 acre or 20 acre lots,the price was somewhere in the $5,000 range.I asked Dad, becaused I respected his opinion (and the fact him and my mom were born and raised in the U.P.).He took one look at it and told me I was out of my mind.That was one time I wished I ignored his advice.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What states have the most affordable land? - 09/08/19 11:26 PM

dang Amish are drivin the price of land sky high here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums