Home

Deer calls

Posted By: James

Deer calls - 09/08/19 02:37 AM

Anyone use a commercial deer call? Do they work? Do they bring in bears?

I'm thinking specifically about hunting Sitka blacktails on Kodiak Island. One of the concerns there is whether I'd call in a big bear by accident.

Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 10:30 AM

This wont be helpful to you but I have called in lots of deer using mouth blown predator calls while hunting coyotes. Whitetails and mule deer both. When I first started calling I wouldn't call alone. Kept hearing about bear and lions coming in. Would sit back to back with a buddy. Never had either one come in that I saw, even though I was in very good lion country.

Bears at that time were hunted a lot with bait and hounds. They and the lions both were scared of humans. Both species are so stealthy, if any came in they must have saw me before I saw them and skedaddled.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 10:42 AM

I have watched Steven Rinella use them on Kodiak and believe he knows a thing or two. He was using them for blacktail.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 10:44 AM

I googled that name. Are you talking about a tv show?
Posted By: EdP

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 11:12 AM

Steven Rinella does a hunting show called "Meateater."
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 12:01 PM

Yes they work (at times) and while I have not called in a bear with one I have with a predator call, I don’t see why a bear would not come in to one though if just for curiosity but I would tend to think it would be a low possibility at best
Posted By: waggler

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 01:55 PM

This is the type of deer call that's commonly used in SE Alaska for deer; anything similar will work. It's mostly useful just during the rut, most other times it will just call in does.
Will it call in bears? Why don't you try it and let us know. I've never had one come in to the call. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by James
Anyone use a commercial deer call? Do they work? Do they bring in bears?
Jim

Fawn Bleat calls work great, even for big bucks.

They are curious and will sneak right in.

We don't have too many bear where I hunt

so I can't comment if they will attract bear.

w
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 03:11 PM

You should definitely try it.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Deer calls - 09/08/19 04:01 PM

Jim

They work very well on does on Kodiak. Limited efficacy on bucks.

Be careful though... they will bring in bears. "I've seen me do it...!"

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums