Home

Wet weather won't stop

Posted By: Green Bay

Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 10:40 AM

Green Bay is currently 10" above normal precipitation and within 5.23" of the all time yearly total. Our weatherman thinks we will bypass the current record by the end of this week!

It will be interesting to see how much falls between September and the end of the year. I am starting to worry about massive flooding in the spring because our rivers have been at flood stage since spring and haven't gone down.

Trapping in this is going to be difficult.

Brian
Posted By: k snow

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 10:49 AM

Just a few weeks ago we had a bit of a dry spell, thought maybe we were through the wet, nope. An inch yesterday, more today and tomorrow. The rivers here too are full up past the banks.

There is a lot more water out there, really affects animal movement. The flooding has changed the landscape, my gun season honey hole of a cattail stand is now a 5 acre pond.

Float sets might be the ticket this year. And good luck to any canine trappers, hope you've got a truck load of wax dirt ready to go.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 11:10 AM

We had a patch of dry weather here a few weeks back...but Now its Rain raim reain here also!
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 11:24 AM

We drove through part of Iowa last weekend. Was surprised to see how low the Turkey and Cedar Rivers were.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 10:21 PM

This was filmed two blocks from my house: https://www.wbay.com/content/news/W...oding-rising-river-levels-560039921.html

7.5" in the last 36 hours with a lot more coming. The problem is being compounded by the bay and the winds pushing the bay back up the East and Fox rivers.

Our basement is still dry.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 10:24 PM

Raining of the West Shore of Lake Michigan right now. 9/11 at 6:30 p.m.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 11:29 PM

We got 1 1/2 inches last night might get the same tonight and flash flood warnings coming with it, no place to go the ground is so wet so it's ALL runoff!
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
We drove through part of Iowa last weekend. Was surprised to see how low the Turkey and Cedar Rivers were.

The Turkey is low above Elkader due to the water running to the side where dam has failed and it no longer holds water back.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/11/19 11:38 PM

Here in our county in Ky we have had .08 inches in 7n weeks and 4 days ........................ POPCORN dry.....
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 12:09 AM

Wont quit up here either. Had some real dry weather last couple years though. So seems to be plenty of room for it still. Got to make people living in the river valleys a bit nervous though going in to a real wet winter. The odds of another major flood hitting central north Dakota is extremely low, but doesnt mean it cant happen.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 12:16 AM

Way more rain than needed! More on the way tomorrow into Friday! Will have to complete building the ark!

Chris
Posted By: snowy

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 12:17 AM

Yep this year it has come in inches. Most years in 10ths. We been getting 2, 3 plus at a crack. Was on a nice buck this morning and had to back out because of the rain started and it hasn't stopped yet. Not sure when I will get back in there now. Roads are bad and walking trip just to get there and in this gumbo no good ground you just don't get around. Lol

I see there has been records broken with rain here this year. When it rains it pours, brother.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 01:18 AM

When the polar caps melt the moisture has to go some where.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 01:36 AM

The last 3 days we got 3 inches with more tonight and Thursday supposedly. I did not trap 5 miles of river last year because it was flooded. Maybe similar this year. If we get what they say we should get field conditions will be saturated for a few weeks. Thank God in some ways the corn is 3-4 weeks late. Green corn sucks a lot more water out of the ground then ripe corn does. Some guys cut some forage sorghum a few days ago. Was too wet to chop with the rain. Today the lower ends of the fields have the windrows under water or floating.
I don't believe we have received as much rain as Green Bay and north but we are certainly way above the normal which is about 30 inches for us here.

Bryce
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wet weather won't stop - 09/12/19 04:08 AM

It's coming down again tonight it should be interesting!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums