Home

Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws

Posted By: Finster

Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 10:26 AM

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 10:43 AM

The fact that the others don’t see the negative impact of Red Flag Laws, is a red flag.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 10:49 AM

I'm waiting on the forums most staunch conservative to respond before commenting. smile
Posted By: Finster

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 11:08 AM

The guy is exactly right. It is 100% unconstitutional. They are taking away a persons rights without due process. A 2nd grade constitutional scholar could figure that one out.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 11:14 AM

Take Nancy Regan advice and just say no. Forcefully
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 11:28 AM

Red flag laws sound nice in theory-take crazy people's guns away before they use them shoot people. Seems simple when you phrase it like that. The problem is that you're taking away a person's rights based on something they*might* do, or based on something they did that was maybe weird but not illegal (things like acting crazy, making random empty threats, etc). For a red flag law to work, it'd require extreme due process. For me to get behind it, it'd require a trial of sorts with a jury of peers, nothing could be taken away until after this trial, and guns could only be taken away for things that a person has actually done, not what they might do, and only a small specific list of things, spelled out in the law-things like attempted suicide or specific realistic threats of harm with a gun (not just "I'm gonna kill you", but a specific threat of violence with a gun.)

I've yet to see any proposals for red flag laws that I could support.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 12:11 PM

Threatening someone can be a felony. “Red Flag” already exists. Hard to shoot somebody from a jail cell.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 12:16 PM

Passing it will be another notch in the Demonic Democrats policy to remove Guns.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 12:36 PM

He said it all! He is right.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 03:10 PM

The concept is sound. Nobody wants crazy people to be armed.

But crazy people have constitutional protection too.

Finding a constitutional way to administer that concept is likely impossible.

Pete
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
The guy is exactly right. It is 100% unconstitutional. They are taking away a persons rights without due process. A 2nd grade constitutional scholar could figure that one out.

X2, thankfully we still have someone like Jordan in there. Not sure he will be able to stop it though, hopefully the Senate will.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 03:59 PM

We used to have a legal mechanism for just this.

It was called Family. It even had a backup system called Church.

But 50 years of great society did away with that.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 04:30 PM

We use to lock the crazies up.

Not sure which is more un-constitutional, taking their gun or throwing them in a mental hospital.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
We use to lock the crazies up.

Not sure which is more un-constitutional, taking their gun or throwing them in a mental hospital.

Niether are unconstitutional at all after proper due process has been applied. The 14th amendment says "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

The debate is what that due process should be.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 04:49 PM

What was the process for locking them up, if you know? I don't.

Goose,
Wanted to say i respect anyones vote and your reason, on that other thread that disappeared before i could say so.
I may not agree with ya, but i'm glad you vote.
Posted By: white17

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/13/19 08:22 PM

Here is, IMO, a reasonable discussion of red flag laws.

Pod cast.

https://fedsoc.org/events/red-flag-laws

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 08:32 AM

The real danger is going to be people walking around all bottled up because they can’t blow off a little steam verbally, fearing the due process of Red Laws.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Red flag laws sound nice in theory-take crazy people's guns away before they use them shoot people. Seems simple when you phrase it like that. The problem is that you're taking away a person's rights based on something they*might* do, or based on something they did that was maybe weird but not illegal (things like acting crazy, making random empty threats, etc). For a red flag law to work, it'd require extreme due process. For me to get behind it, it'd require a trial of sorts with a jury of peers, nothing could be taken away until after this trial, and guns could only be taken away for things that a person has actually done, not what they might do, and only a small specific list of things, spelled out in the law-things like attempted suicide or specific realistic threats of harm with a gun (not just "I'm gonna kill you", but a specific threat of violence with a gun.)

You have a lot of faith in a less than perfect judicial system . Juries are hand picked ,and then repicked by prosecution and defense

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Originally Posted by loosegoose

You have a lot of faith in a less than perfect judicial system . Juries are hand picked ,and then repicked by prosecution and defense

I don't have very much faith in it, actually. But a jury of peers is better than a single judge deciding someone's fate.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 05:09 PM

Didn't Trump say some thing about "take the guns first.....worry about due process second"? I remember because I almost spit a mouthful of coffee watching him say it on the news.

One of the more troubling things he has said......and that is a very high bar.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
Didn't Trump say some thing about "take the guns first.....worry about due process second"? I remember because I almost spit a mouthful of coffee watching him say it on the news.

One of the more troubling things he has said......and that is a very high bar.

He sure did. Later he said something about taking guns after due process, someone must have told him he sounded like a democrat.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 05:44 PM

He also said guns don't pull the trigger people do, which took a lot of guts.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 06:08 PM

Meanwhile, in Chicago, as of today . . .

Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 339
Shot & Wounded: 1657
Total Shot: 1996
Total Homicides: 371

The age to purchase a firearm is 21. The state requires gun owners to obtain licenses and face background checks as well as imposing waiting periods on firearms purchases. Judges can take guns away from owners who are deemed to be a threat to themselves or others. And recent legislation aims to begin a fingerprinting database of all gun owners in the state.

So, red flag laws are going to do what??

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/chicago-strictest-laws-violent-crime-rates/

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

Please. Someone wrote it for him on a post it note.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 08:29 PM

I don't care if he wrote it on his fore head.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 08:32 PM

At least they didn't write...

Heck yes were gonna take your guns!

There's your choices.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:01 PM

There's your choices.

You're missing the point. Trump popped off about a very serious constitutional issue and then recited obvious NRA talking points.

Of course I agree guns don't kill people. I'm more concerned that the president did, in fact, say he would take guns without due process. He said it before Beto.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:27 PM

There's your choices.

You're missing the point. Trump popped off about a very serious constitutional issue and then recited obvious NRA talking points.

Of course I agree guns don't kill people. I'm more concerned that the president did, in fact, say he would take guns without due process. He said it before Beto.

Nope, I was addressing you saying someone wrote it for him.

I'm glad he has people to write what he said instead of what I wrote above.

Where did I go wrong?

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:27 PM

There's your choices.

Again, kinda hard to not see this as a factual point hippie. He didn't write it, he said it. I will not vote for any Dem. I'm bummed that we are where we are. Trump has done so much for our great nation, more so than a Dem, any Dem. But lets call a spade a spade on his real view of the 2nd. You or no one else can say he is a "shall not be infringed" President.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:39 PM

I didn't think it was hard to figure out I was talking about its better to elect a president who surrounds himself with people who pull him back from dumb statements ,than one who has people who would tell him to take your guns. I said the "they", not "him".

You elect more than the stooge who does the talking.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

Please. Someone wrote it for him on a post it note.

The "someone" in this statement.

I wrote.....at least they...........
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

I agree 100%. Sounds great until you take into consideration that there will be those who interpert the law to fit their needs....has to be due process. Its like the phrase "common sense gun laws" so commonly in use by the left...I suspect many of us would thing there is much common sense to it!!

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 09:47 PM

I didn't think it was hard to figure out I was talking about its better to elect a president who surrounds himself with people who pull him back from dumb statements ,than one who has people who would tell him to take your guns. I said the "they", not "him".

lol

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/14/19 10:35 PM

This was some serious mental gymnastics.

Re: Rep. Jordan Blasts Red Flag Laws - 09/15/19 10:11 AM

We’ve seen better from the likes of you people.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums