Home

Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater

Posted By: Coyotero7

Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 03:33 AM

I was first introduced to snaring/trapping coyotes in 1997 when I was in high school. My trapping mentor, whose nickname was Preacher, strictly taught me the basics of snaring my first year. Now that I look back I am extremely thankful for his reasoning, as it taught me to seek out coyotes' natural travel ways and I think ultimately helped me develop more as a foot trapper in finding locations.

The more I snared, the more I got to trying to think outside the box. One day, I brought along a weed-eater to try something out. I found a road that was heavily traveled by coyotes and simply took the weed-eater and cut out a trail in the grass about 20 or so feet long out to a tree, where I threw down an old deer leg from the scrap pile. I set a snare down the trail and had a big male coyote the next morning. Over the next several years I connected on many more like this.

Has anyone else ever heard or tried this trick while snaring coyotes?
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 03:40 AM

Yes I’ve heard of creating trails to snare in. I’ve never personally used the weed eater trick, but do create an artificial trail and set a foothold in in. Sounds like it’s working for you. You should keep developing it and refine it for your line. Good luck

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 03:48 AM

Thanks Yotegiter!

I've actually set as many as 3 snares in a weed-eater semicircle around bait off a road and have doubled before. I guess when one gets caught it just creates havoc if any are traveling with them...
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 04:04 AM

I've used the weed eater and I even have used round up to create trails.
Posted By: 9wire

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 04:26 AM

I’ve used a weedeater and snared those trails with good results before...
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 10:56 AM

Same set in Delmer Kramer's book, trapping 101. I don't remember details but I think he mentioned making trails with brush cutter and or roundup. Tip was shown to him by another guy, but I don't remember his name either. Terrific book if you can find one, that much I do remember, really good.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 11:09 AM

I have been using that method for 40 years, it works great!

Scott
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 11:20 AM

Tom Krause wrote about it in his book
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 12:17 PM

Driven through the field trails, but not with a weed whip ...that's cool
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ScottPhillips
I have been using that method for 40 years, it works great!

Scott

50 for me ! Thinking my snare when I started was all 1s40 maybe 2s40 Thompsons
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 09/14/19 01:28 PM

Yep, did it this summer in a meadowstrip to route the yotes to a mafia set, worked great.

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 08/18/20 02:48 AM

Anyone else used this method?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 08/18/20 02:51 AM

I drive through CRP grass with my pickup about 20 yards and the go back and forth a few times making a trail. Set snares and go. Good idea with the weed eater.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 08/18/20 02:53 AM

Can’t snare here, but it will get a deer using it real quick.

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Can’t snare here, but it will get a deer using it real quick.

I will say that I have noticed that deer tend to "check them out" quite often. I have also deterred them by hanging a 16 gauge wire across the front end of the trail to scare them. They touch that and are normally gone.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 07:49 PM

I've used a hoe for the same purpose.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 07:57 PM

Yep! Deer carcass, skinned critters anything to get attention. I’ll stomp 2 trails on both sides, for a total of 4 trails. 2 snares per trail. All predators circle and get closer as their confidence rises. Almost invariably catch on the outside/furthest trails first. As the trails get obliterated by catches you still got sets in closer waiting to connect. Narrow Brushy ditches/draws extending out into fields are quick and deadly.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 08:07 PM

I have an electric one now. Before it was the gas type. Too noisey.

The electric is a 20Volt lithium battery. And I can bring along another one for follow up.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coyotero7

Nope. My weed eater is used strictly for "manscaping" and nothing else.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/04/22 08:48 PM

To much work I just drive the main ranch roads then pull off in good cover drive through and make a Big U loop back to the road. They at the apex often start a bait pile they follow up both of the trails. Works even better with a foot of snow they will follow the trails and get hung up. I do the same thing with snow machine off the main trails for canines and cats. Weed eaters remind me off work and not the fun work like trapping.
Posted By: jk

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/05/22 01:19 AM

Herb Seldinger (sp?) makes a snare setup with the support attached to sell at conventions in NY and Pa, he is from NJ/ In his demos he uses a small rechargable battery powered one. Looks go to me, the slight trail that he makes. Good man with a good idea.......jk
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/05/22 04:36 PM

it works great, especially for here where we can only use cable restraints
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/06/22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I've used a hoe for the same purpose.

I used to make weed eater trails all over north central IA and when I'd go back to set them Bernies snairs would be hanging on them. grin lol , just teasing. Though I have created some good trails on public ground and returned to have them set already.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/07/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Coyotero7

Nope. My weed eater is used strictly for "manscaping" and nothing else.

I feel sorry for your mechanic...
Posted By: run

Re: Catching Coyotes with a Weed-eater - 01/07/22 02:12 AM

Coyetero, you sound like me. I like running a weedeater when it's warm but I avoid it in cold weather.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums