Home

Badger trappers

Posted By: Dirtdogia

Badger trappers - 09/15/19 02:58 AM

Im wondering what everyone uses for a trap when targeting badger? Would you think a 160 could get the job done? Iv caught a few in the past by throwing a fair amount of coyote bait i make down a burrow and placed a 220 on top but want to actually target a few. All help is appreciated.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:03 AM

I use 1 1/2 double coil and no bait or lure. I set the den entrance with exposed trap.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:07 AM

Snare the hole is what I do if you miss them it won't spook them if the 160/220 snaps and you miss they are gone.

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:10 AM

Ya Law, that is a good point, if you miss. I find that true with porkies also.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
I use 1 1/2 double coil and no bait or lure. I set the den entrance with exposed trap.

Don’t they close the entrance holes with dirt?

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:41 AM

Well, if you make a catch they will dig and fill the hole and be on top of the mount of dirt. I have caught many that way, but yes they will fill the entrance from digging after they been caught, in my experiences. They are easy to catch.

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:57 AM

Your best yote set will catch one every time!
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:57 AM

look for fresh dug holes then no bait needed. just place trap in entrance to hole and use a drag never stake a badger. fence post work great for drag..
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 04:01 AM

Actually, I meant after they dig a den hole, do they fill the entrance behind them thus closing the opening with dirt?

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 04:03 AM

They do but not often most holes are open.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 05:12 AM

I always catch one when I make a really good coyote set lol

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 05:26 AM

Yea i catch them on occasion in my k9 sets but im talking about targeting specifically to add to the fur pile while also keeping them out my k9 sets. From my understanding badger and coyotes kinda work together
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 05:56 AM

Sounds like my north loop trapline is going to have some this year, ive had good luck with babger buster lure and 280's when there around. Landowner called the other day and seen 3 of them in one day. My shoulders can feel it it already lol.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 10:31 AM

I just use footholds and a baited dirthole set works well.
Jim
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 11:17 AM

How did you set the snare over the hole?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Snare the hole is what I do if you miss them it won't spook them if the 160/220 snaps and you miss they are gone.

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Your best yote set will catch one every time!

Yes and yes
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
How did you set the snare over the hole?

Not sure how Law Dog does it. I simply lay the loop just inside the hole. You can use 3-4 very small sticks almost flush with the hole to help support the snare if need be. I don’t leave any slack in the snare. If you leave slack bring a shovel.lol

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 12:17 PM

I will agree with all the rest that a yote or fox set will catch them as well. They aren't hard to catch though find the den and set will also be rewarding.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 12:54 PM

Animal excavator for sure. They sure give a coyote set some new eye appeal.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 02:26 PM

I have caught a number of them in Belisle 160's. The reason a lot of them are missed in 160's and 220's is because when the trap is set off the jaws or springs are hittong the ground and throwing the trap away from the badger. Dig the hole out so the body grip can fire and the springs and jaws don't hit the ground. You want close fit, but it should clear.
If I set a foot hold on a mound out side the hole. I make a trench set the width of the hole extending from the hole out across the mound. Set the trap off to the side, they have a wide stance. If you use lure at the trench you will pick up a coyote sometimes too.
Make sure you stake your trap away from the hole to keep the badger on top. I like three foot of chain to keep them from digging at the stake. Body grips need staked well too.

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:35 PM

Mjm id love to see some pics of the sets you use sometime if thats possible
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 03:40 PM

I have had the dig the stake out (24hr. check) and still be sitting there like its still in the ground

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
I have had the dig the stake out (24hr. check) and still be sitting there like its still in the ground

How long a chain? With a short chain a badger can only dig at the stake. With a longer chain he digs out as far as he can reach from center and covers the stake.

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 06:45 PM

I like to line the hole with a snare and stake straight back from the top of the hole avoiding the hole when I stake so sometimes you need to go off to the side a bit.

Use up all of the cable slack so if the badger is coming out of the hole no slack remains if he's going into the hole no slack remains also causing the lock to slide only.

Set the loop to fall onto the badger when you can so when he bumps it improving your chances that way.
Posted By: stumper

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 07:20 PM

I have had great luck adding a second stake when using a snare. I put it between the stake that is holding the snare and the hole. Leave it sticking out of the ground about 6 inches. When caught they wrap up around the second stake and cant hardly move when you get there, Figured this out on one I had caught in a corn field. He wrapped up on a corn stalk next to the hole. It will eliminate the swivel, but I have yet to have any issues .

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 09:14 PM

Had one last year that did that it pulled the stake up a bit and wrapped himself tight as he could around it.
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 10:59 PM

I’ve caught em in dirtholes or right at the den hole using mb 650s 550s and bridger #3 4 coiled. Only targeted a few times...like law dog caught a lot in k9 sets.. had one caught in a private two track one time and he made a dandy hole with a mound and neighbor stuck his lil Honda Accord on it! I think he was driving back from the bar back reading....Badger was not impressed!
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 11:35 PM

You'll need to 'zoom in' on the pics to get a better look. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charlie

Re: Badger trappers - 09/15/19 11:56 PM

In the winter here badger often back fill their hole. You maybe can't see it looking, but it is filled down below. They do it to trap the heat in and keep the cold out. Badger will spend a lot of time in a hole anytime of the year without exiting. They will travel a lot further than most people think too. Badger are not had to catch, I am sure most are not targeted. Watch for fresh dirt and go set it.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Badger trappers - 09/16/19 12:38 AM

I’ve caught a couple in coon sets along dredge ditch banks, I can guarantee it gets interesting when their on a short chain and buried in the dirt so you cant tell which foot is in the trap shocked. Where I’m at in iowa we just don’t have the numbers to go after them hard.

Re: Badger trappers - 09/16/19 12:41 AM

Awesome i cant wait to catch a few this season with all these tips
© 2024 Trapperman Forums