Home

Montgomerys

Posted By: coontail

Montgomerys - 09/15/19 09:04 PM

Were the #4 montgomeries dog less any good for coyote except for setting the pan?
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 09:44 PM

One of the best.I don't know what you mean by except for setting of pan.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 10:35 PM

I use some #3 dogless Montgomery. They're OK.

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 10:41 PM

Yep setting of the pan to level

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by coontail
Yep setting of the pan to level

The Montgomeries are not hard to adjust pan level.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 11:44 PM

I have quite a few and no pan problems ,good coyote trap ,I don't 4 coil or beef up
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Montgomerys - 09/15/19 11:55 PM

Year or two ago I bought 3 dozen of the old #3 Montgomery (new) from a well known dealer.I filed the endless trigger a bit and replaced the springs with those off my Bridger #3's when I replaced those with music wire springs. Good trap

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 12:50 AM

Care to elaborate on pan adjustments
Posted By: Dirtdogia

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 04:48 AM

Best coyote trap in my opinion. I currently own 14 plus dozen. High levers are what you wanr
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 11:05 AM

Of course,we're all assuming you're talking about the Montgomery's from Mahaffey P.A.,and not the new Victor/Montgomery.The old Montgomery's had a very beefy frame with thick jaws,the only other trap that came close were the Northwoods line.There was some problems with cracked or broken jaws,I believe in the early runs.But in general a very good trap.I still have some from the early days that I still use.Another positive was the price;you could order from the factory a dozen No.4's for $45.00 a dozen in the late '70's,at a time when a dozen 1.75 victors would cost $35.00 a dozen.

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 11:35 AM

Yes the older traps but was curious how to get pan set level, they just have basically a eye around a post
Posted By: warrior

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 12:43 PM

Yes the older traps but was curious how to get pan set level, they just have basically a eye around a post

Slip a screwdriver under the pan at the twist between pan and pivot. Push down on pan to lower, to raise set trap and pry up with the screwdriver. Try to limit pressure to just the pan shank as the pan itself can be bent.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 12:43 PM

Care to elaborate on pan adjustments

I'm not remembering now and the traps are up at the cabin where I trap. It seems it might have been as easy as bending the pan. I filed the notch to lighten pan tension. Those I bought came new in box from Sterling Fur and there were instructions....I will see if I saved them.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 12:48 PM

Pan tension is set by shortening the tab holding down the jaw. Careful with the file as a little goes a long way. If you go to far deepen the notch but use care not to bugger the flat that contacts the jaw.

Re: Montgomerys - 09/16/19 02:37 PM

I only have a few and the pans needed only to be brought down. Put a screwdriver. ratchet handle-anything round under the shank of the pan and bend the pan down (go easy).

Re: Montgomerys - 09/17/19 12:12 AM

Thanks for the replies.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums