Home

Fur prices?

Posted By: cci

Fur prices? - 09/16/19 05:05 PM

Can anybody give a ballpark guess on what PA. furs might be worth this year? Mainly fox, coon, muskrat and mink. I wont hold you to it.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 05:07 PM

Same as last year. Pennies grin
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 05:45 PM

I'll take a wild guess to get the ball rolling for ya.

Mink.....7 average
Rats......3.50 average
Cook.....5-6 average
Fox...9 average
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 05:58 PM

Fox 5. Coon 4. Rat 3. Mink 5. Coyote 45. In the auction in the country could be less. I hope I'm wrong lol
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 06:45 PM

5 to 10 for fox 1 to 3 for rats 3 to 8 for mink is what I was told by a local fur buyer so probably half that haha.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by hippie

Mink.....7 average
Rats......3.50 average
Cook.....5-6 average
Fox...9 average

i'll take"bad again" for 200$ Alex

what is-"the fur market"

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 07:06 PM

A thing of the past.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 07:17 PM

Just got a check from so I want to revise my guess fox no one bid so .00 on fox sold 2 3x beaver sel for 18. Sold one 4x coon for 10. 00.
A thing of the past.

Yep
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 07:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 07:54 PM

Mink.....7 average
Rats......3.50 average
Cook.....5-6 average
Fox...9 average

Sound about right for your area, for finished stretch dry pelts, except mink is to high on average. I thinking, $3.50 average with 11 grade early mink up to fully prime, for average price on all, unless u got lot better mink there than here. Not much demand for wild mink for long time
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 08:36 PM

Jim Gibb wrote a good market forecast in the Canadian Trapper Magazine.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Jim Gibb wrote a good market forecast in the Canadian Trapper Magazine.

Is this the same Gibb that just invested in a marten line and a new sno-go? Hope he knows what he is doing.

He almost bought in at the bottom. smile
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 09:07 PM

After the September round of International fur auctions and the very high clearances on ranch fur at very low prices I'm beginning to wonder how much cash is left in the trade? Banks are none to willing to loan money for the purchase of raw skins today, and the 17,000,000 mink and 600,000 ranch fox that sold in the last month, ate up a lot of available investment capitol for this fur business. How much money is left? Coyotes will be fine, but what about everything else? That's over $500,000,000 U.S. dollars in value taken out of the available supply for fur purchases for next season.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
After the September round of International fur auctions and the very high clearances on ranch fur at very low prices I'm beginning to wonder how much cash is left in the trade? Banks are none to willing to loan money for the purchase of raw skins today, and the 17,000,000 mink and 600,000 ranch fox that sold in the last month, ate up a lot of available investment capitol for this fur business. How much money is left? Coyotes will be fine, but what about everything else? That's over $500,000,000 U.S. dollars in value taken out of the available supply for fur purchases for next season.

I don't understand all funding an stuff, so Chinese won't have money to buy? I hope this does not effect advances given to trappers for good furs brought to nafa. To long wait for sale without advance payment ,if not. Be stuck sell to.local buyer. Have not seen any recent Facebook vids from gfw
Posted By: tbn

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 10:39 PM

Why would you take an advancement on fur at 50% valuation when they have been selling at that or lower? Get a job,save up money for expenses until you sell fur. So you have coon valued at $30,they loan you $15 and sell for $6. You owe Nafa $9 per coon. Get a shovel.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/16/19 10:42 PM

Coonman didn't we just have this talk yesterday about personal finances. Advances are a scam. They charge interest on that money. Dave Ramsey will tell you all about the Auction scams.

BTW just to make you feel better. The wife filled up the generator with water/gas today. So I had to work on it for a couple of hours Then my recoil broke on my new Husky chainsaw and nobody can find the parts for it. The wife ruined my battery bank while I was gone by running them dry so I got to lift these 200 lb AGM batteries up in the loft and I'm too old and weak. See everybody has problems, not just you. Have a good day!

While I'm on a roll; I sent the wife down to the river to pick up some empty gas cans in the boat. She came back with 5 empty buckets, 2 bags of bad cement I used for ballast to drive my boat home with a borrowed outboard when the ignition system went out, and two destroyed props that didn't belong to me. I got the empty gas cans today. Could be worse, she could buy another piano. frown
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 12:03 AM

grin
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 12:03 AM

4 of us have approx. 250 reds and greys still at nafa so where is this guy offering money for them ?
Posted By: Bob

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 12:08 AM

I’m hoping for at least an $80 average on my coyotes but I definitely wouldn’t be taking advanced on something as volatile as fur. That’s just begging for a mountain of debt. If I took $40 per coyote and the market tanked and they sold for $20 my wife would beat me over the head when I had to write nafa a check for the difference.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 12:48 AM

^^^
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220

Mink.....7 average
Rats......3.50 average
Cook.....5-6 average
Fox...9 average

Sound about right for your area, for finished stretch dry pelts, except mink is to high on average. I thinking, $3.50 average with 11 grade early mink up to fully prime, for average price on all, unless u got lot better mink there than here. Not much demand for wild mink for long time

Received my nafa report today. $19 on one coon with rest selling as you suggest
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 01:21 AM

Think it’s time to go long on coon and short the coyotes

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by tbn
Why would you take an advancement on fur at 50% valuation when they have been selling at that or lower? Get a job,save up money for expenses until you sell fur. So you have coon valued at $30,they loan you $15 and sell for $6. You owe Nafa $9 per coon. Get a shovel.

Nafa is not go pay noone $15 a coon advance, last 2 seasons. $5-$6 on big coon that heavy coon, $5 on mink,$1.50-$2 on rats, I have 2 jobs, it cost lots money to go trapping, gas mostly, but other expenses, especally gas with row trapping , interest on advance is minimal, I don't think nafa is going get screwed on advances easy. Mine always pay back an got check when sold minus fees, it is nice if u can wait, sometimes months. Maybe give advances on sections of fur that don't sell well. Has ruined it for everyone that wants advance, no advance this season, an have go fur buyer with sad prices on coon , nafa pay good on coon
Posted By: B. Shope

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I’m hoping for at least an $80 average on my coyotes but I definitely wouldn’t be taking advanced on something as volatile as fur. That’s just begging for a mountain of debt. If I took $40 per coyote and the market tanked and they sold for $20 my wife would beat me over the head when I had to write nafa a check for the difference.

cmon Bob she aent that mean.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:00 AM

I definitely agree maybe coonman should take in some Dave Ramsey
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:00 AM

Other places pay just as well as NAFA on a market trending down. No commission and money in your hand. If it costs you lots of money to trap coon, you are working for free if you figured out your wage.
Posted By: K52

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:09 AM

Dave, I'll bet if you worked for minimum wage at a job you would make more money than trapping. By the time you figure all expenses and there is a lot more to your expenses than gas, if you truly figure all associated costs to trap a season. There is no way I would take advances to be able to trap. If that's the case I would figure I couldn't afford it and spend my time at something I could afford without going in the hole, you got to stop digging to get out of it.

It wouldn't surprise me if NAFA doesn't offer advances this year on a lot of different fur this year, coyotes might be an exception.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:18 AM

If the buyers have a lot of monies tied up in lower cost goods (which they hope will sell better in the future) that means that liquidity or cash flow in the industry could be low. Inventory can mean wealth if bought at the appropriate prices but it also means that there is less cash to use for future purchases. As in the past I am sure those grades and species that have been in demand or are seeing a small spark etc. will sell.

Long term my concern is that prior to the huge price rise the market was handling 50 million ranch mink and now they are looking at maybe 30 million for current and future production that tells me that a lot of AIR has gone out of the fur market, ranch or wild. If we only need 100k better coons then the other million are not needed, or 250k of rats etc. we don't need 1-2 million. At nearly 72 that is not a major issue for me but as a younger commercially minded trapper or a younger generation looking at a mink ranch as their business this is a concern.

Bryce
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:27 AM

If the buyers have a lot of monies tied up in lower cost goods (which they hope will sell better in the future) that means that liquidity or cash flow in the industry could be low. Inventory can mean wealth if bought at the appropriate prices but it also means that there is less cash to use for future purchases. As in the past I am sure those grades and species that have been in demand or are seeing a small spark etc. will sell.

Long term my concern is that prior to the huge price rise the market was handling 50 million ranch mink and now they are looking at maybe 30 million for current and future production that tells me that a lot of AIR has gone out of the fur market, ranch or wild. If we only need 100k better coons then the other million are not needed, or 250k of rats etc. we don't need 1-2 million. At nearly 72 that is not a major issue for me but as a younger commercially minded trapper or a younger generation looking at a mink ranch as their business this is a concern.

Bryce
Posted By: Bob

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by B. Shope
Originally Posted by Bob

cmon Bob she aent that mean.

Bill you know darn well she is that mean! She won first place in the frying pan toss at the nta western regional last year by imagining the stake was my noggin!
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 02:39 AM

For what it's worth, I averaged 11.16 on these ND caught coon at NAFA. All caught before Nov 15. All sold. Cant sell any of my fox though and I actually put time in to putting those up. Unlike some of these. I'll give decent coon more attention this year.

Correction - 11.30 (Wohoo!) Goofed my math a little.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 10:30 AM

Maybe Nafa wouldn't be in the mess they are in if they remained an auction company,not a bank.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220

Mink.....7 average
Rats......3.50 average
Cook.....5-6 average
Fox...9 average

Yep, agree.
The poster was asking about our fur. It'd be like a gold-rush if we could get the prizes you get for coon!
Buddy just had NAFA sell what he had left over at auction for a dollar a coon.

Good luck all, hope things pick up but I won't hold my breath.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
4 of us have approx. 250 reds and greys still at nafa so where is this guy offering money for them ?

PTA sales if you don't have a local buyer.

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
Maybe Nafa wouldn't be in the mess they are in if they remained an auction company,not a bank.

I thought they were filmmakers?

FYI NAFA takes the credit when the market is good, When its bad, they do not take the credit. They give it to somebody else.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 04:06 PM

I recommend your state fur sale put on by your association. That's always a good thing to support.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 09:35 PM

Just think of the poor slobs that took $100 advances on otter when the market tanked on them. I know a couple of folks that will never be able to do business with NAFA again because of that.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Fur prices? - 09/17/19 10:36 PM

Well the coon are all over this year so they need thinning out. I am retired now so I hope a lot of fur to tan.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums