Home

I need advice about sea water in my camera

Posted By: Mark K

I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 12:46 AM

I have an underwater camera which opened in my pocket in the ocean. It took months to dry out completely and today I was able to get the pics off of it. So, now that it is not valuable, I wonder if you think that pouring distilled water in it and letting it run out and them repeating a few times will take the minerals out of the contacts and crevices while leaving the camera fit for use once it dries out again. as it stands, the camera will power up and it wants to try to work. It is not a high dollar item by any means. I am not worried about the value of the cam, I just don't want to waste the money if the distilled water won't do anything.

What do you guys think?
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 01:26 AM

Distilled water is less than a buck a gallon. Give it a shot.
Posted By: MJM

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 02:43 AM

You should have done it while it was wet. It would have been pretty simple then.

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 03:04 AM

I had pics on the camera I really wanted. I got them today. I was worried that it might have destroyed the images.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 03:53 AM

The chip that stores the images is pretty much sealed. Most of the other electronics are usually not. I lost count on how many cameras I have seen meeting that wet death. None of them have ever come back to life. Get a bottle of good whiskey and put a few drop on the seal of the camera and close it. Drink the rest yourself and throw the camera in the trash.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 04:11 AM

If you have access to some put some SALT OFF in the water and let is stand for a bit the do the distilled water. It might work. I was a dive instructor for many years and I can say very few ever survived a drink of salt water. Fresh water either come to think of it. If you were at any depth when it happened the the water was pressurized in so I wish you luck. I like the whiskey idea. Spend more on a good bottle than the camera is worth and it's a win win.

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 04:51 AM

I never dove down more than 5 feet.

I think you are right though. The screen shows ghosts instead of images.

Maybe I will stick it somewhere where someone will find it and let them play with it.
Posted By: waggler

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 05:37 AM

Salt water on anything electronic pretty much spells death unless rinsed off soon, and before it dries out; even then odds are good that damage will be done.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 10:17 AM

Sorry to say, but buy some jelly cause that thing is toast.
Posted By: Newt

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 10:17 AM

Buy a new one
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/17/19 03:06 PM

at this point, the leftover salt and minerals is not the issue - its the corrosion
Posted By: BigBob

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/18/19 01:19 AM

The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement formula #40!
Posted By: charles

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/18/19 02:26 AM

May have some coverage on your homeowner policy. In the future you can schedule it. Had a friend who did that.

Re: I need advice about sea water in my camera - 09/18/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by charles
May have some coverage on your homeowner policy. In the future you can schedule it. Had a friend who did that.

$50 camera $1,500 deductible.

I also have replaced it with two cameras. One the same for stills and one is a Go Pro Session for video.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums