Home

Plastic totes?

Posted By: KeithC

Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:24 PM

I want to buy some heavy duty plastic totes. The totes from the box stores all appear to be junk. If you put any weight in them and lift them by the handles, they break.

I want strong totes, as cheap as possible, that are at least relatively rodent proof, that can be stacked fairly high. Any suggestions on brand and where to buy them?

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:30 PM

Rubbermaid tote with the yellow lids are great and hold up well them clear totes with the 2 flip lids just fall apart in no time. The RM roughnecks hold up to a load of traps and last for years. I always thought plastic drums 30-55 would be sweet if a guy could clean them out well enough.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:33 PM

Can you post a pic of the type of tote you're looking for? It's sort of a generic term and there are several styles. I've worked in automotive material handling for over 20 years so I've worked with a lot of heavy duty plastic totes. Also, what sort of weight were you thinking? Or are the ones you've tried just simply too flimsy?
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:41 PM

Costco has "Greenmade Professional Grade Box". These are high quality, stackable and the lid snaps on. I can throw them in the back of the truck and they keep stuff dry and the lids don't blow off.

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:49 PM

I have never bought any totes I thought were very good. I would like to be able to put about 60 pounds in them. I would like the totes to stack well, so that I don't have to build shelves. I would like a tote with a strong bottom, with a lid that fits tightly, that comes completely off.

The totes I have bought crack if one person picks them up by themselves, if they have a decent amount of weight in them.

I mainly would like to store traps, tools, hardware, books, rocks and a bunch of Diane's clothing.

Keith
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 07:56 PM

Even if they're sturdy enough to stack more than 2 or 3 high, you're probably going to want shelves. No fun moving 5 or 6 totes to get something from the bottom one.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 08:27 PM

I use these they have served me well.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-QDC2...qid=1568924796&s=gateway&sr=8-10
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 08:39 PM

Truck boxes but youre looking at 4-5x the cost
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 09:25 PM

These will hold as much as you can put in them. they come in different sizes too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper

^^^^^this^^^^^
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 10:19 PM

X2 or x3 on the black totes with yellow lids. I have a bunch and the lids are built in such a way they're made to stack.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 10:25 PM

Yea those yellow lidded totes are sturdy, I have a few. I prefer the ones I posted because the lid is attached. Be sure not to overload em, or youll never get em off the floor.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/19/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
Yea those yellow lidded totes are sturdy, I have a few. I prefer the ones I posted because the lid is attached. Be sure not to overload em, or youll never get em off the floor.

I used to move a lot of offices at work. First rule was never give anyone a big box because youll throw your back out trying to lift it.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 12:56 AM

Plano makes great ones in the USA. They are pricey compared to flimsy ones. Been a couple years since I bought them.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 11:59 AM

Injection molded "straight walled containers" will be the strongest you can find. They'll hold anything you put in them, and stack better than thermoformed and roto molded containers with lids. However, for they're probably over priced for all you need them for. Some of the ones already posted here would make more sense.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 01:42 PM

If youre needing garage shelves for totes this is what I came up with. I wanted it to hang so legs didn't get in my way with toolboxes / car doors underneath. These ones are parallel to the rafters so put a kicker on the top to catch three rafters and "hung it" from there.

Make everything 24" from the wall and half a sheet of plywood will work out even. I made the height between them 24" too and seems to be plenty of room to where I could have maybe made it tighter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: gcs

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 02:20 PM

Don't know if you can get them by you but the plastic fish totes we use here will last about forever, stack, or nest, and will hold 100# of fish. they weigh about 8# apiece , and about 30x16x12"
Can't remember what I payed the last time but probably about 20$
Posted By: adam m

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 05:57 PM

Ohio Boy, I like that design.

I've gone through many totes but these ones from Costco are awesome(had too come here today to pick up a few things). They go on sale often.
Greenmade 27 gallon storage tote
[Linked Image]

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/20/19 06:20 PM

Thanks everybody. You gave me some great ideas.

Keith
Posted By: charles

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/21/19 03:36 AM

Get the type used in the seafood industry. Will stack one way and nest the other. Very strong also.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Plastic totes? - 09/21/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Get the type used in the seafood industry. Will stack one way and nest the other. Very strong also.

Thats what I would also recommend. We use these things daily. They are very tough

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/tote-fish-28-x16-no-holes-black-holds-70-liters-15735.html
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/fish-tote-cover-gray-fits-old---new-totes-15736.html
© 2024 Trapperman Forums