Home

Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way?

Posted By: OhioBoy

Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 12:08 PM

Doesn’t happen all the time but sometimes. Is that a common thing where someone can point me towards something in particular? Just hit the back of the slide and it pops right in.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 12:36 PM

Does this happen when you have the slide locked back and you use the slide release or pull back on the slide and let go, or does it happen when you pull back on the slide and then ride it forward with your hand?
Posted By: LBEE

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 12:47 PM

I have a Glock 19 Which I reload the Bullets I shoot....I had the same problem after some of the Batch of Hollow Point Bullets were over sized for the cases causing the Bullets not to fit the Chamber. The Slide would Freeze where it would not Close or open. I checked the Reloads the Bad ones had been oversized by the Bullets causing the problem. You might check your Bullets which is easy to find the Swelled Cases....Good Luck !!
Posted By: 2ndjoborfun

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 12:51 PM

Tap - Rack & pray we do not need the round!

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:10 PM

Just notice when your shooting. Haven't really duplicated it on my own another way.

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Does this happen when you have the slide locked back and you use the slide release or pull back on the slide and let go, or does it happen when you pull back on the slide and then ride it forward with your hand?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:36 PM

Has it been dropped at all not seeing the gun I'd guess dirty or bent slide, the Glock requires very little oil when you clean it.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:46 PM

Give it a good cleaning first of all, and see what happens. Glock recommends a recoil spring replacement at 2500-3500 rounds....how many rounds through this thing?

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:48 PM

Not that many.

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:49 PM

I haven't dropped it but someone in the shop could have maybe?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 01:59 PM

you want to pull your barrel and grab your ammo

Plunk test your rounds , with the barrel vertical , start laying a round on the feed ramp give it a little push under it's own weight it should plunk that that is the sound you should hear plunk as it drops into the chamber.

if it doesn't plunk , makes sure your barrel is spotless clean especially the shoulder that the case mouth rests on that can get carboned up.

use the nylon brush and solvent

if you find some plunk and others don't start measuring

there is a case gauge that will do the same thing
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 02:55 PM

I had the same thing on my carry gun and ended up selling it, Turned out the firing pin spring was not original is what Glock said. I got the gun back and it shot fine after that but I didn't trust it. It's probably just me - but I do not know what the firing pin spring had to do with the action returning to battery - but it did work fine after they worked on it. .

While shooting the slide would not go forward all the way so it would not return to battery. I put a new recoil spring in it and cleaned it. It still happened. I also had an aftermarket magazine that did not feed properly that was causing problems.

Mine happened most with Winchester ammo after 100 rounds when the gun heated up.
Posted By: white17

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 03:14 PM

Does it happen with all magazines or just one ?
Posted By: RGW

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 03:46 PM

As a Glock armorer, most likely its your recoil spring. How many rounds have been fired through it? Other possibilities could also be magazine related, dirt or powder fouling buildup. If you can find an armorer near you there's a simple test for the recoil spring.

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 04:25 PM

Checked the cases. Not that.

Happens on multiple mags.

I'll try the plunk test and check the firing pin spring...

slide spring seems fine.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 05:21 PM

if you racking the slide never causes an issue and it only happens while shooting I have to ask , how is your grip?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by RGW
As a Glock armorer, most likely its your recoil spring. How many rounds have been fired through it? Other possibilities could also be magazine related, dirt or powder fouling buildup. If you can find an armorer near you there's a simple test for the recoil spring.

Me thinks its a recoil spring if it is not one particular mag.

Does it do it with one type of ammo over another? I have a Ruger LCP .380 that won't feed certain types of hollow point rounds. The feed ramp is so steep that the recoil spring doesn't have enough power to seat a round that is essentially flat on the end.

Shouldn't have that problem with a 9mm if the recoil spring is strong enough.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/20/19 05:38 PM

Do you have a light or laser or anything on it? We had to go to a stronger recoil spring on our 17's when we issued weapon lights.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cotton

Re: Glock 19 Slide not closing all the way? - 09/21/19 10:57 AM

my buddy cured his by trading for a 1911
© 2024 Trapperman Forums