Home

Chunky Cheer Leaders

Posted By: Sullivan K

Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 10:37 PM

I went to the local high school foot ball game last night. My little 5 year old grand daughter was part of the cheer leading squad. Every year the school has any grade school kid, that wants to, come out and cheer with the cheerleaders. It's fun and there lots, and I mean lots, of grade school cheerleaders. Twenty years ago my daughter was a cheerleader. All the cheerleaders were slim and well in shape. Last night there were several over weight cheer leaders. I guess everybody has to be included. I would think with all the gyrations they go through that the overweight ones would lose weight. I mentioned to my son-in-law, who was setting right beside me, "they sure have some "chunky" cheer leaders". He said "Ya, they sure don't make them like they used to."
Posted By: virgil1972

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 10:40 PM

Every pyramid needs a bottom
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 10:50 PM

My daughter came home from school one day and told me she was trying out for the cheerleading squad. I was glad. Good wholesome fun to keep her out of trouble. Then I found out how much stuff I had to buy and what the prices were. Probably should have just bought her a used corvette and saved myself a couple bucks.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 11:02 PM

If the cheer leaders are considered as part of the team the school buy what they need, not shoes. I no longer know the title of the bill but the money for sport has to be spread equally over girl and boy sports. That is in Mi. anyway.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 11:28 PM

Since when did the team provide anything for free to players? They sure don’t here.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 11:47 PM

"Chunky" is a national disease.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/21/19 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sullivan K
I went to the local high school foot ball game last night. My little 5 year old grand daughter was part of the cheer leading squad. Every year the school has any grade school kid, that wants to, come out and cheer with the cheerleaders. It's fun and there lots, and I mean lots, of grade school cheerleaders. Twenty years ago my daughter was a cheerleader. All the cheerleaders were slim and well in shape. Last night there were several over weight cheer leaders. I guess everybody has to be included. I would think with all the gyrations they go through that the overweight ones would lose weight. I mentioned to my son-in-law, who was setting right beside me, "they sure have some "chunky" cheer leaders". He said "Ya, they sure don't make them like they used to."

What nice thing to say.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:16 AM

Cheerleaders used to have to "try out" to make the team, just like the athletes playing the sport they cheered for. Some cheerleading IS an athletic pursuit, not just waving pom poms and yelling. I don't think that is the case anymore.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:47 AM

I have no doubt that schools in liberal states will now allow transgender cheerleaders in regular cheerleading uniforms. They let them crush girls in other girl sports and take their scholarships.

Keith
Posted By: adam m

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:47 AM

When I was in hs cheerleaders still tried out. There was maybe 2 "chunky" ones but they were good. My hs holds numerous state cheerleading titles, and even more drill team titles. The drill team girls where hot and the party animals grin
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
Cheerleaders used to have to "try out" to make the team, just like the athletes playing the sport they cheered for. Some cheerleading IS an athletic pursuit, not just waving pom poms and yelling. I don't think that is the case anymore.

Here in Wisconsin we solved that problem. We have pom squads and cheerleading squads. And from what I understand its quite the rivalry.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 09:39 AM

Yes the foundation of cheerleading
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 11:02 AM

i'll get in on all this caveman talk."me likem big girls."
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by EdP

It is around here.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by EdP

Lot of that is due to participation level. Can't have tryouts if you barely have enough to have a roster. Especially in female sports at smaller schools. Even the bigger schools here have issues getting enough participation.

As for the cost of uniforms, those have to be fit to each player. Sports uniforms are usually passed down from one team to the next. It would of been interesting to see the reactions on some of the more sultry or suggestive routines our school's cheerleaders did if the uniforms weren't quite fitted...
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:35 PM

Late 80s early 90s our school had a few chunky cheerleaders because there wasnt enough girls that wanted to cheer .the athletic ones ones wanted to play basketball leaving the not so athletic ones to cheer
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 12:48 PM

In my day they were the wrestling cheerleader squad.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 03:37 PM

Big girls need love'n too, and they appreciate it more.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by krispcritter

Yea, the mat maids!
Posted By: imissed

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 03:47 PM

Still have them here.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scout1

Yea, the mat maids!

When my son wrestled in HS some schools had mat maids.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 11:18 PM

In almost all the schools in our area or conferences there are no longer cheer leaders there are dance teams that utilize more participants and yes there is a wide range of horizontal gifting that participate but most are very agile but then at 16 one should be. Right now I don't believe there are cheer leaders for football, basketball and there never were for most sports. Wrestling may be the last hold out for cheer leading squads.

Bryce
Posted By: James

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 11:22 PM

What a great thread title.

Sounds like the title of a B-grade high schoolers movie.

Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/22/19 11:48 PM

cheer leaders blowing chunks, now there is the title of a great b movie
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 12:16 AM

I am pro-chunky cheerleader. There needs to be opportunities for pizza-faced, fatso, powernerds. What better score for Lumpy than a shot at a cheerleader, chunky as she may be.
As time passes on, he will still have the story about getting with a cheerleader back when he was in high school. Of course he has the option of leaving out the "chunky" part.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 12:33 AM

In high school most of ours were chunky because no one else would do it.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by hippie

Then they follow ya home....
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 12:42 AM

9 outta 10 girls now are " chunky"
Posted By: bic

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 01:25 AM

I prefer a little meat on their bones. My first wife was skinny. Ever since that ended, I prefer a fuller figure.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 01:49 AM

It's not just "chunky cheer leaders"; our entire society seems to be getting chunky.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by hippie

Then they follow ya home....

grin
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
It's not just "chunky cheer leaders"; our entire society seems to be getting chunky.

Isnt that the truth. Its because they consume more calories than they burn. Thats 3/4 of the population.

We call em button guts.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 03:23 AM

I don't see an issue with it.......everyone should have an oppurtunty to give it their best shot no matter what that particular thing may be........if they cant make the cut,,,,then don't give em a participation trophy..........but if they can...give em your full support............judging someone soley on a weight issue as a precived failure is crap!!!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 03:36 AM

“Shade in the summer, warmth in the winter “ that’s what dad always said!
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by waggler

Obesity is an issue that has it's own associated problems... But I would rather see kids having too much to eat versus not enough. Our main issue is not necessarily how much we eat, but WHAT we eat.

It wasn't that long ago that being (what we would label) overweight was viewed as a good thing... Meant you were doing well and getting enough to eat.

I would hate to see my kids front and center of a commercial narrated by Sally Struthers.

Mike
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by virgil1972
Every pyramid needs a bottom

And I've seen some pretty big bottoms on the field! I suppose it's a good thing tho, no body shaming and include everyone.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
In high school most of ours were chunky because no one else would do it.

I thought it was they were from Iowa.
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 08:21 PM

I remember Yoda told me about them big girls in the Upper Penninsula,
He called them wood ticks.
After spending the winter there last year, i can attest he was spot on.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 08:25 PM

Chunky or not they are still just athletic supporters!!!!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Chunky Cheer Leaders - 09/23/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Since when did the team provide anything for free to players? They sure don’t here.

Must be a Wisconsin thing then.

the foot ball team they need shorts. t-shirts , socks shoes and underwear the team/school provides pads helmets , jerseys , pants. your freshman foot ball Jersey probably had 10 repairs but you paid something like a 50 dollar fee that went to buy new stuff a little each year and freshman always got the old uniforms from varsity.

when I wrestled we had to have our own shoes and practice cloths but singlets and head hear were provided for some fairly nominal participation fee. they even got us heavy sweatshirts for warm ups so that the team matched at matches and tournaments. all of it had to be turned back in washed at the end of the season.

© 2024 Trapperman Forums