Home

Well I just got bounced by NAFA to

Posted By: Riverotter2

Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:10 PM

Just got it in the mail and no one home at NAFA. Fastest I ever made a phone call. Nine dollars on my return fee. Never would have thought it. Hope ya'll having better luck.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:12 PM

Wow

I've been watching other thread. Been a few years since I've shipped.

Guess it will be a few more?

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:16 PM

I said more the WOW.

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:19 PM

Sad part is

Nobody will be able to do anything if they are filling bankrupt!?

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:20 PM

Man alive

How many guys send fur up there that make a living at it?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:23 PM

I don't really understand the reasons why I was told on the phone. . she said about 10% of the checks were bounced and they would make it right in October

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:25 PM

Well either way

I'm out! I'll tan it or sell local.

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:26 PM

When bank called this afternoon they said they would send me a statement that included the bank fees. The NAFA operator said to call them with the amount of the fee and they will reimburse that also. If they receive no call only the amount of the bad check will be sent.
Posted By: brymoore

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:42 PM

Bounced checks happen with errors in changing banks etc, I’ve seen it happen to very good businesses. I’ve seen entire payrolls bounce because funds weren’t transferred from A to B. (I’m a commercial banker).

What’s concerning to me, is waiting until October to reconcile the issue. Why? Cash flow problems? Bounced checks should be repaid immediately. They should still have the funds because they were never paid. The only cost is the fees.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by brianmall
Well either way

I'm out! I'll tan it or sell local.

Always have!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:46 PM

shouldn't have given away all those free dvd's
Posted By: sasquatchtrapper

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:58 PM

Wow, I was planning on shipping to nafa this year, but if they are having this kind of problem I'm not so sure now. Problem is, im not sure what else to do. There are few if any local buyers in the immediate area and I've never had good luck with the guys that run routs in the area...

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
shouldn't have given away all those free dvd's

And I didn't get money or a free DVD, lol.
Posted By: mainer

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by brymoore
Bounced checks happen with errors in changing banks etc, I’ve seen it happen to very good businesses. I’ve seen entire payrolls bounce because funds weren’t transferred from A to B. (I’m a commercial banker).

What’s concerning to me, is waiting until October to reconcile the issue. Why? Cash flow problems? Bounced checks should be repaid immediately. They should still have the funds because they were never paid. The only cost is the fees.

Bingo!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:24 PM

Paul! Could you locate a NAFA shill to come on here and put out the latest fire? Thanks!
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:34 PM

If I remember correctly one auction house in Canada went belly up in the 80’s. Lots of money lost.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:34 PM

So does this mean they will not be giving out rebates this season? LLL
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by newtoga
If I remember correctly one TWO auction house[s] in Canada went belly up in the 80’s. Lots of money lost.

Yup,

Dominion-Soudak, and Ontario Trapper's Association Auction;

The Fore-Runner to Fur Harvester's Auction.

w
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:47 PM

I’m quite sure Dominion-Soudack was never part of the Ontario Trappers Association.

They merged with Hudson Bay, which eventually turned into NAFA.

It was the Ontario Trappers Association that went bankrupt.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:48 PM

Groeny's business just increased lol

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
So does this mean they will not be giving out rebates this season? LLL

I guess WFSC won't be doing a Possum handling & marketing DVD now, either. frown

w

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/25/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
I’m quite sure Dominion-Soudack was never part of the Ontario Trappers Association.

They merged with Hudson Bay, which eventually turned into NAFA.

It was the Ontario Trappers Association that went bankrupt.

Nancy,

I didn't say Dominion-Soudak and Ontario Trapper's Association Auction were connected.

Two separate businesses. I was simply listing them both one behind the other.

One in Winnepeg, the other in North Bay.

But They both went belly up in the 1980's

Ask me how I know ?
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:03 AM

Do any of u guys belong to both Nafa and fha?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:13 AM

Not sure when they pay, but here at farm auctions the farm writes the check to the person having the the sale, not the auction company, but if the check bounces the auction company will go after them. My point is maybe Nafa paid out money out of their pocket then one of the purchasers bought fur, took fur, and bounced their check to nafa so now they are having to stand it and cash flow could be an issue.
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:23 AM

Didn't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone said this but cash the checks then deposit them. Did that for years when I owned rental properties cause I was sick of getting burned
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Not sure when they pay, but here at farm auctions the farm writes the check to the person having the the sale, not the auction company, but if the check bounces the auction company will go after them. My point is maybe Nafa paid out money out of their pocket then one of the purchasers bought fur, took fur, and bounced their check to nafa so now they are having to stand it and cash flow could be an issue.

If something like that did happen, then maybe NAFA should only accept purchaser payment in the form of either Certified Check, Wire Transfer of Funds, or Credit Card payment.

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:32 AM

Dirk, the check that bit me was cashed. My bank called me this afternoon to tell me it bounced and the money withdrawn from my account plus a bounced check fee. Just because you get cash doesn't place the burden on your bank. Grocery store, bar, check cashing business, doesn't matter. It comes back on you and you have to go after the person or business who wrote it.
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Dirk, the check that bit me was cashed. My bank called me this afternoon to tell me it bounced and the money withdrawn from my account plus a bounced check fee. Just because you get cash doesn't place the burden on your bank. Grocery store, bar, check cashing business, doesn't matter. It comes back on you and you have to go after the person or business who wrote it.

Don't know much about banks and how they work in these instances but when I started cashing checks instead of depositing them, I never got burned. Hope you get it straightened out
Posted By: mud

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:50 AM

Mine bounced too
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:57 AM

Personally I've never seen (and being in the ag business I've seen quite a few)an auction company or commission company that bounced checks in the custodial account the did go under. But there's always an expectation. I don't know how it works in Canda but down here its usually a serious crime to not have the funds in a custodial to cover the sellers checks.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 01:12 AM

Someone needs to get Justin Trudeau's phone number, and everyone call his office and complain. Tell them you want to file a complaint. Then turn around and call the Whitehouse in Washington, and tell them what the Canadians are doing to the American trappers. That should get things stirred up a little …. grin

Garry-
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 01:24 AM

Well I think I’m not going to deposit mine. Sent them an email yesterday but no reply yet. I’m more concerned about the fur they’re sitting on.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 01:27 AM

Groney's gonna need a bigger truck.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 01:44 AM

I cashed two this year, one about a month ago with no problems
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:41 AM

Been reading through these posts on this topic, and I got a question...……………

So, Trapper ships his or her furs to the Auction. They get sold.

Buyer pays NAFA for the Furs, and then the Trapper finds out that the check from the buyer to NAFA bounced.

Question:

Did NAFA ship the furs to the Buyer who bought the furs, and gave NAFA the check that bounced ? If the Buyer has the furs, does NAFA have any ability to get the furs back from the Buyer; since the Buyer had to of known that check they wrote would not cover the amount it was written for.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:54 AM

no buyers involved.....changed bank is what NAFA claiming
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:56 AM

Isn't the whole point of getting paid about 3 weeks after the end of the auction is that all the financials are straightened away? If NAFA isn't making sure the IOUs they're getting from the buyers is good, why does it take 3 weeks for checks to go out?

For you GFW fans, do you think they can expand their selling that quickly if say 50% of NAFA's shippers suddenly start coming to their trucks? Or is it going to be, "I'm one of the only big options left, they'll take what I want to give them." Look up "Hobson's choice" sometime...
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 03:21 AM

I am calling bovine excrement. No way in the world does the, "We changed banks" story hold water. Good grief.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 04:08 AM

I think the story is the bank dumped NAFA. Not, NAFA changed banks. frown
Posted By: Actor

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 04:12 AM

In my opinion … I know what that is worth …. NADA.... Any large International Business today, dealing with another large International businesses will not be using checks, but money transfer by wire. I was involved with such a transaction a few years back. There a bill of sale for the goods... the money was transferred by wire (computer). It took 2 days for the banks to contact us that the transaction had been completed and the funds were clear and in our account. At that time we shipped the property to the buyer. I can't imagine any large company or business writing a check today and if the did, whether is for $1.00 or $1,000,000 dollars. you don't ship the product before the sale is final and that is when you have the funds completely under your control. I won't venture to speculate what NAFA does, from some of the comments on this and other recent posts. But I don't believe changing banks is their problem. Sound more like fiscal management.

Garry-
Posted By: PBS

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
Someone needs to get Justin Trudeau's phone number, and everyone call his office and complain. Tell them you want to file a complaint. Then turn around and call the Whitehouse in Washington, and tell them what the Canadians are doing to the American trappers. That should get things stirred up a little …. grin

Garry-

That's right.... send in the Biden boys.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Been reading through these posts on this topic, and I got a question...……………

So, Trapper ships his or her furs to the Auction. They get sold.

Buyer pays NAFA for the Furs, and then the Trapper finds out that the check from the buyer to NAFA bounced.

Question:

Did NAFA ship the furs to the Buyer who bought the furs, and gave NAFA the check that bounced ? If the Buyer has the furs, does NAFA have any ability to get the furs back from the Buyer; since the Buyer had to of known that check they wrote would not cover the amount it was written for.

Most of the major buyers at NAFA do not write a check for their purchases. People just don’t write a check for a million plus dollars.

They pay via wire transfer or Letter of Credit. Both of which are legally binding financial documents. Which means it is just like handing NAFA a wad of hundred dollar bills. Instant guaranteed money.

Some smaller buyers do write checks, most often for less than $100,000.00. If there is a question about the check being good, NAFA will hold the shipment until the check has cleared.

It takes very rare und unusual circumstances before NAFA will ship the goods unless they are fully paid for.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by brymoore

If they put all that cash in your hands for short term bank to bank loans (rolling it over daily?), how much much will a $million return between now and Oct?
Posted By: Bob

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 06:58 AM

Well I guess Petska will get all my coyotes this season.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 09:17 AM

It shouldn't take 3 weeks to get your check from an auction house. The way I see it, they are working for me. They have no way to get screwed by me, pay me up right away and if you get screwed, you go after them. I have no way of knowing who the buyer that didn't pay is or where they live to seek restitution.
I know this isn't the deal going on right now but with instant electronic money transfers why else would it take so long.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Do any of u guys belong to both Nafa and fha?

I ship to both depending on a bunch of different factors. All I can say is having two auction houses running is key to keeping some competition going. Imagine what the commission would be if there's only one auction house to ship too.

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Saskfly
Imagine what the commission would be if there's only one auction house to ship too.

Sounds like it's going to be AT LEAST 11% here very shortly once NAFA goes teats up !! frown

w

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:34 PM

Nevermind
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:35 PM

Yep..So has NAFA come out with a "Damage Control" statement yet?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 02:40 PM

Talked to Gary @ Groney this morning. He's going to add a stop in Alabama for our high quality southern fur. He said he would take green beaver and otter and everything else stretched and dried. At least we will finally have another option if needed.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/26/19 05:54 PM

I never ship to fha. So can't say really, but read fha auction results, almost always lower clearance an lower prices in everthing then nafa except beaver. Sometimes. At best the same price nafa, but this is a report on averages of what sold in auction, if I sent to them, could be different results an higher prices than the sale average
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Well I just got bounced by NAFA to - 09/27/19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
I never ship to fha. So can't say really, but read fha auction results, almost always lower clearance an lower prices in everthing then nafa except beaver. Sometimes. At best the same price nafa, but this is a report on averages of what sold in auction, if I sent to them, could be different results an higher prices than the sale average

I've compared auction results from NAFA and FHA for more than a decade. Apples to apples, they are pretty much the same as far as I can tell. If anything, FHA has a slight edge.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums