Home

De-scenting containers-dumb ?

Posted By: PARick

De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/28/19 11:43 PM

Sorry for the stupid question. Been trying to de scent kitty litter bottles in order to carry my waxed dirt in. So far I’ve rinsed them 100 times filled with mud and let sit, repeated with muddy water, rinsed and soaked in baking soda. Rinse and soaked in oxy clean. I’m beginning to think I’m doomed and they will always smell like cat litter. Any ideas

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/28/19 11:43 PM

Mind you this process is 3 months old hahaha
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/28/19 11:57 PM

Buy some new buckets and wash them out well and let air outside, no reason to do that work and then ruin it. Save them kitty litter buckets for storage.

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 12:15 AM

Law dog,it’s the containers that are almost like a 5 quart oil container. Have a nice handle screw on lid. Was gonna tie a rope around it and carry over my shoulder.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 12:19 AM

I doubt you will be able to get them descented. Some of those cover up scents seem to really get into the plastic and never wash out. Maybe time and sunlight might break them down...probably about the time the sunlight breaks down the plastic and makes it all useless. If i wanted a scent free container i would start with one new that has never had scents in it.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Buy some new buckets and wash them out well and let air outside, no reason to do that work and then ruin it. Save them kitty litter buckets for storage.

This!

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 03:51 AM

I've actually wondered if coyote could smell my old plastic tool boxes my traps n coal shale and were in

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 03:54 AM

I like the shorter buckets 3 gallon size for tossing around in the truck, in cat country I store them with dirt and supplies ahead of time when the weather is still good enough to get around. The square buckets are sweet also like the ones rat poison bags come in.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 03:56 AM

Look for vegetable oil containers or even some pesticides come in those 3 gallon jugs. Those are what I use! Fill with water in the summer then sit in the sun a few months. Then let them air dry in the sun a few days. Ive never been abel to truly ever remove the scent from kitty litter jugs. Save them for jugging cat fish

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 04:01 AM

They do make packets of a chemical flush for containers that need to be flushed out maybe check with the local pesticide/herbicide dealer of how well that works. Also consider the smell that will leave.

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 04:05 AM

To remove plastic odor in tool boxes or containers?

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/29/19 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
To remove plastic odor in tool boxes or containers?

Containers
Posted By: kyron4

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 08:58 AM

Fill with peat moss for a month or so, Then dump peat mass out. it will smell like peat moss forever after that.
Posted By: Mac

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Good advice
Posted By: coop

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 11:10 AM

I use bleach and water on everything around here, trapping related and otherwise... seems to kill original odors and dissipate over time pretty well.
3/4 gallon for $1 @ Dollar Tree...
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 11:40 AM

I use the kitty litter jugs a lot for storage and daily use since they are handy. They pack in the truck and ATV boxes nicely and not too heavy to tote around. I tie rope on the handles to sling them over my shoulder to carry them hands free. I use them all the time for walk in sets for cat trapping.

I found my solution to the odor problem was to fill the jugs with dirt, grass clippings and some grated dry cow patties all mixed up together and let sit for a while. Dirt will cleanse a lot of odor while the grass and cow dung makes the plastic more natural smelling. There are cattle around most all the areas that I trap so it is a common occurring odor.

Once they smell clean again to my determination I rinse and let dry. I fill them with dry peat, dry dirt, mixed dirt , dry grass clippings and waxed dirt then label them as such. Been doing this for many years works well for me. Dirt is a great cleanser as is dung, grass and are other natural ingredients.

When I had rabbits I saved the droppings and used to mix the pellets with dirt and dry grass clippings to deodorize my other dirt and peat storage containers and trap packers. Leave enough room in the containers to allow you to shake them periodically. This helps to keep the odor saturated dirt media moved around and replaced by clean material contacting the plastic.

I have always layered by traps in fine hay chaff/dry grass when storing my traps and helps keep the moisture and foreign odor down while in storage.

It took me many years of experimenting to learn the positive effects of my methods.
Posted By: Actor

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 04:55 PM

A few years back I used kitty liter buckets …. I just wash them out with a little Dawn dish soap and hot water. Then rinsed them out, set them in the sun to dry. I then filled them with sifted dry dirt, put the lid on them and waited a couple months until season opened, carried them to the field and set my traps. I caught every thing is the sets including fox, yotes, coon and possums. never had a problem with them. One thing I didn't do was to smell them after I washed and rinsed them. I don't know if the had any scent or not. Just sift your waxed dirt over your trap and sift a but of site dirt on top of that. They will probably never notice a difference.

Garry-
Posted By: tjm

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 05:29 PM

I have never in 7 decades seen anything plastic that did not stink. Plastic will always have an odor, always. You have not either.
Important question for all you who know, does a coyote or bobcat or even a 'possum know what plastic is and what it smells like?
Posted By: The hammer

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 07:28 PM

100% agree tjm. Anything plastic has a odor. I doubt all them lure makers are smelling there plastic containers making sure there scent free before throwing bait/lure in them.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 07:33 PM

Mix up a batch of the de-skunking formula (hydrogen peroxide, dawn, etc)
Dump it in your bucket about 1/4 full (don't fill, this is important for oxygenation)
Swish it around good... make lots of foam
Let sit overnight
Swish around, let sit overnight
dump out the liquid and fill with dirt, put in sun for a few hours
empty the container and give it the sniff test.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
100% agree tjm. Anything plastic has a odor. I doubt all them lure makers are smelling there plastic containers making sure there scent free before throwing bait/lure in them.

Plastic is a petroleum product, how does that not have an odor? If in doubt, wipe it down with urine or use slydogx's recommendation.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 08:27 PM

coyotes are going to smell you no matter what you do - plastic is everywhere just like diesel and gasoline and humans......they have smelled them all likely - some folks just like to worry about everything. I would be worried about my trap smelling like nothing - then they will dig where there is a void of smell...... eek
Posted By: The hammer

Re: De-scenting containers-dumb ? - 09/30/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Originally Posted by The hammer

Plastic is a petroleum product, how does that not have an odor? If in doubt, wipe it down with urine or use slydogx's recommendation.

I stated anything plastic has a odor.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums