Home

Help Beav and Muskrat

Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:22 PM

Perhaps as a trapping community we can help the Beav and Muskrat build an Ark as southern Wisconsin is in store for an additional 3" of rain tomorrow! Add that amount to the already swollen rivers and ditches and it is conceivable that they will both need to trap off of the Ark! Could make for some interesting T-man stories! grin

Chris
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:23 PM

Beav and Muskrat trapping together?? Don’t think that will ever happen!! LOL
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:32 PM

If you need an Ark... I Noah Guy.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:40 PM

Don't forget Green Bay too! We are going to break the year precipitation record tonight. Just wondering how much additional rain we are going to accumulate in October, November and December. Could be a Spring flood of a lifetime.
Posted By: K52

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
Don't forget Green Bay too! We are going to break the year precipitation record tonight. Just wondering how much additional rain we are going to accumulate in October, November and December. Could be a Spring flood of a lifetime.

Down here we have already exceeded our yearly rainfall total and more is on the way later in the week, no telling how much above average we'll end up this year.

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 09/30/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Green Bay

That will be too large of an Ark! You would have to arm wrestle to decide who gets a boarding pass! Green Bay sure has been soaked as well! frown

Chris
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

The muskrat and I are good friends. If we lived closer I'm betting we would trap together. At lest that way I could teach him some of the finer points of water trapping. LOL
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 12:15 AM

Hey Beav, give USMC47 a call. He's good at making a closer. smile
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 12:18 AM

Muskrat is ready for the next round of high water as he has two new pairs of 7' oars.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by wissmiss

The muskrat and I are good friends. If we lived closer I'm betting we would trap together. At lest that way I could teach him some of the finer points of water trapping. LOL

Meaning he'd have me hauling the critters and gear up the bank then hold his walker steady whilst disembarking the boat.

LOL
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 12:47 AM

Sounds about right. grin
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 04:45 AM

The Beav doesn't need help, he was there for the original. grin
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
If you need an Ark... I Noah Guy.

grin

I remember at least eight feet of snow on the ground during the winter of '78-'79. Drifts went completely over single story houses. Snow so high I couldn't toss it on top whilst shoveling.

We've had plenty of wet years before, and likely will again.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 11:13 AM

River here is supposed to go back over 10 ft again next day or so. Already set new record for days over 10ft some months back.. You might think well 10ft how high is that?? I consider normal river here to be around 5.5 ft. Even then 5ft over normal don't seem like that much water if ditch is only 10ft wide. But our ditch is bluff to bluff MN to WI so trust me when I say that is lot of water...They get the rain down Muskrats way their saying they might..He may have some water close to his house again.
We Started another duck season Saturday with no dry islands to stand on, going be hunting from boat. All rain here is headed east so yes Muskrat and Beav going to have to deal with some more wet too.

Mac

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 11:33 AM

The islands down here were underwater March through half of June. Resubmerged a couple of times off and on, now the river is going back up. 'Rats open in three and a half weeks. Might be time to break out the floats . . . again.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 11:39 AM

just the opposite here,lowest the river has been that i can remember in my 50 yrs here.tides are turnin though i hope.thinkin of floating a couple rivers for rats this winter myself and wanna take a couple scouting rides but i'd do more walkin than paddlin right now.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 01:45 PM

I am knocking on some doors getting permissions on some small sloughs that except for last year usually dry up late summer. I was not able to wade the 5-6 miles of rivers I usually trap an unless the faucet turns off after this week and we don't get a drop for 25 days the rivers may go back in their banks again. As a trapper and a small time one this is not fun. I have stopped off at several of the dairy farmers and with all this rain on their late corn crop and the muddy clay fields this is major. For some this year's corn crop with lower yields, lower quality and twice the harvest time could cost them twice as much as normal in typical years. One jokingly stated to me that all the darn coons are the least of my problems this year.

Bryce

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 02:11 PM

Enough already.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 02:13 PM

Good thing you like water sets, Muskrat.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 04:15 PM

I would put a colony trap or two in the kitchen or bedroom-
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/01/19 04:57 PM

it used to be the sheriff called the county garage and they brought out a sing for water over the road , now it happens so much the county put a post in and a folding sign the sheriff just pulls over and opens the sign now and drives on to the next one.

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/02/19 11:08 PM

Any rain or water level updates for those in Southern or Eastern Wisconsin? The Wisconsin River up here is up about 6" above normal level.More rain tonight and again Saturday before a dry spell! sick

Chris
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 01:34 AM

We got 1.25 inches yesterday and 3 inches last night! Our rough total in the last 2 weeks is a tad over 9 inches. Some areas nearby have had more.

Bryce

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 01:37 AM

Sounds like quite a few cities in Wisconsin will break or come close to all time yearly precipitation records!

Chris

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 01:54 AM

Rivers are up and running chocolate milk. Serious erosion is occurring. And the islands are all underwater . . . again.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 01:59 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 02:58 PM

all this rain really sucks

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 10:46 PM

We broke the yearly record for the entire year on October 1st. Another 2.5" since. It will be interesting to see how the water line is going to go this year.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/03/19 11:00 PM

I'll need to invest in some deep water 110 stands to reach the shallow water runs this year. The landowner I trap for sent me pics of his place today, water is up a couple feet or so at least. Also said he's only seen one rat hut so far. Not sounding too promising.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/04/19 07:32 PM

if there are any huts down here im pretty sure they are under water

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/04/19 09:40 PM

Bank dens are inundated too I reckon!

Chris

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/04/19 11:28 PM

Another 1" on the way tomorrow. I was talking with Richard Clark the other day and we were speculating about the young rats of the year could have drown several times this summer and early fall.

I guess we will find out in four weeks.

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 09:56 AM

Rain, rain, rain. Rivers are going up, up, up. Enough already.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 11:35 AM

Rat floats are the answer .Parsnip is the bait, lol.

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 12:37 PM

Found a design for raccoon floats. Better get busy!

https://youtu.be/XyzbCPjn8Vk
Posted By: run

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mark K
The Beav doesn't need help, he was there for the original. grin

Lol.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat

Good one, lol

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 01:32 PM

That is hilarious! grin

Chris
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

Good one, lol

Hahaha

Re: Help Beav and Muskrat - 10/05/19 06:51 PM

It won't be so funny when Muskrat catches 100 3X coons using it!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums