Home

NEW KNEES

Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 03:07 PM

having 2 knees replaced on the 21st
never a good time for this as I'm a commission salesmen but cant take it anymore
have heard horror stories but hoping someone on here has had a good out come
Tom
Posted By: RKG

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 03:21 PM

My father (80) just had both of his done on 9/17. He's doing very well.

Make sure you do your exercises, as much as possible before your surgery. After surgery, you need a good place to go. Dad came to my house because we are a one level ranch with accessible bathrooms. His recovery is drastically improved being here than being at the hospital.

One thing he wasn't told, was to have someone pick up on discharge day with a vehicle with a wide enough door for you to get in. You won't have much flexing to bend your knee to get into a regular car. A mini van with a big back door would be best.

Lots of places to get equipment if you can't/don't want to buy it. American Legions usually have loaner walkers and elevated toilet seats, and maybe a shower chair.

This week Dad trains on stairs and once he is good with that, he's ready to go back home.

Wishing you the best in your surgery and recovery!
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 03:46 PM

They make a chair that raises up and tilts to help you get out of it. If you can find one they help, also make sure you have someone to wait on you hand and foot like I did when my wife had hers done. Good luck and do the therapy, takes a year to be a 100%.
Posted By: Osky

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 03:48 PM

Be confident. There are plenty of good stories too.

Osky
Posted By: KS1D3S

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 04:52 PM

Like others have said DO YOUR EXERCISES !!! I had my right knee replaced in 2004 and my left one in 2006 and I am doing very good.
I was sent home with a machine that lifted and lowered my knee. I could control the height up to 105 degrees. I would lay in bed and play
with the controls a lot so I was always exercising my knees. I am now 74 years old and trapping every year although not as much or as long
of a line as years before.
Are you going to have both replaced at the same time?
I wish you the best for your replacement.

Gene
Posted By: swift4me

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 05:08 PM

Haven't had mine replaced yet but know lots of folks including sister and brother in law. Here in France physical therapy, every two days, is in the health care plan so you don't pay extra for it. Getting to full bending motion asap is critical as I understand it. Regardless of the pain or hassle... the first part of your therapy is the most important as the scar tissue builds it is harder to get to full bending range.

I wish you the best.

Pete

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 05:31 PM

RKG wish your dad well. I'm 59 and have a good wife to help me. thanks for the van advise I have trouble getting in our car on pass side already

Rat. the doc doesn't want me to use that kind of chair
OSKY I'm trying too
KS1D3S they don't use those machines here anymore, I used one in 2002 for an ACL replacement and liked it. hope to be able to get trapping again cause I haven't done much lately
swift4me a fried of mine didn't do his correctly and is now paying for is and may have to have it done again so I got it in my head I'm not going to have that problem.

thanks for the replies

Tom

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 06:30 PM

Especially get your triceps in shape. You will use them alot to get up from sitting and for using the walker.

Another thing is to make sure the PTs are telling you proper ways of getting up, walking, standing erect, and exercising your knees and legs. Luckily, my mom is an LPN (and worked for 30+ years with the Ortho that did the surgery) and my wife is a PT, so we have all the bases covered for Dad.

A lot of the little things will make a big impact for your, either in a good way or a bad way.

Dad found it easier to sleep in the recliner with the immobilizers on, than in the bed. He got staples out on Monday, and no more immobilizers at night, so he is a happy boy right now. Doing his exercises 3x per day and it shows.

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 06:52 PM

I get no staples or immobilizers and can get a shower the same day
oldest son is a trauma ICU nurse so I'm sure he'll be on me to do it right also

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 07:51 PM

Good deal. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Posted By: bass10

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 07:57 PM

Well best of luck to you. I am 54 and never had any knee problems or surgeries but my knees are plain wore out and shot. I will be having the same thing done at some point
down the road so please keep us updated with how it goes.
Posted By: sasquatchtrapper

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 08:02 PM

Don't worry about it too much Tom. Like the others have said, the exercises are key. Work as hard getting your legs strengthened back up as you would running a line and you'll be fine. I'm 46 and had my left knee replaced, the Dr said 8 to 10 weeks off work, but he didn't understand, I had deer to chase and animals to catch. I was back to work in 5 weeks. Lol....
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 08:16 PM

echo the exercises. 3 close to me have had both done, great outcomes in each. all regret not doing it sooner in fact.

my father had both his done. one after the other healed. his favorite story is the guy half (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)ing it in physical therapy after his first one. same dude was still there after he was done rehabbing his second. put in the work - you'll like the outcome.
Posted By: SCTrapper

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 08:16 PM

I had both of mine replaced at the same time two years ago on July 12 and I went back to work August 28. Don’t think I could’ve got along any better whatsoever. I would recommend getting both done at the same time to anybody. Do what the physical therapist tell you to do and I think you’ll be fine.
Posted By: adam m

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 08:50 PM

Good luck. Praying for you
Posted By: snowy

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 09:31 PM

I wish you the best. I know one guy that had both done at the same time and he did very well. I can say he was a great candidate for both at the same time because he was in excellent health and in top shape. he had no issues what so ever.

Good luck.
Posted By: Hern

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 10:01 PM

My best to you.
Posted By: charles

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 10:05 PM

Had one replaced in 2006, and again after three weeks. Stayed in a rehab hospital on IV antibiotic for 10 weeks. Treated by infectious disease doctor for 23 months.

In 2012, went to Duke University to a surgeon who specialized in revisions. His knee and surgery outcome was no better. Got to live with it. Other knee is natural and still doing fine.

Do not leave the hospital If you have a fever. Ask to have a culture to find source of your temperature.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 11:26 PM

Good luck with it. My wife was a rehab nurse and cant stress enough the necessity of sticking with the physical therapy.
Posted By: trapper ron

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TRAPPER TOM
never a good time for this as I'm a commission salesmen but cant take it anymore
Tom

Yes had both replaced at one time in 2007. Have never regretted it and 100 % improvement to what I was. My advice, be relentless on the physio and follow up in the gym for at least 6 months. I still trap, ride my sled, walk wherever I need to, and can kneel on one knee or both.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/02/19 11:55 PM

It’s a shame you cant use the machine one of my landlords had one done used the machine he had to stop because he could bend it past the recommended degrees for the replacement, then the second one he had too much bleeding for the machine and to this day he has some stiffness in it, but he was about 75 when then did the second one so you should stand a better chance if something happens.
Posted By: cotton

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 12:06 AM

had both of mine done when i was 54, best dang thang i ever did.
DO THE PT it will hurt but i bet you are hurting pretty bad now, the pt hurt will go away in about 2 weeks.
i messed up my right knee and had to have it rebuilt in Jan. of this year doing pretty good now but not healed as good as i want it.
Posted By: Jarred1982

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPPER TOM
Tom

My Grandmother-in-law had both knees done and feels better than ever. I will certainly pray for you and your family.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 01:23 AM

Tom,
I had first one done December 4 2017, Second one July 17 2018. No regrets ever. I will share. Yes things can go wrong but they are the exception more than the norm. I have spoke with many, researched a great deal prior to. Came on here and asked if with knees replaced I could still trap, with the bending etc. Yes you can and with less pain. I love having mine done. I am on my feet a lot , teach all day, am an athletic director, coach, run beef, hunt hard and trap. Set five sets last fall knees were still tender legs tight caught my first 3 yotes! So pointers:

Bike, walk, prior to, strengthen those legs. Even now.
Do what the doctors, nurses tell you
I never used the machines, did as directed
ICE, ICE,ICE, is your friend, should get the ice machine use it religiously!
Use meds as needed, pain is not your friend and hinders recovery if you can't rest. This is not a test to see how tough you are.
Physical Therapists will push you and you need it.
Do only what your therapist tell you. It does not help to do more and set yourself back. Listen to your therapist.
Walk, crutches, walker, whatever walk.
Lean on your help! my wife was awesome! It is ok to ask for help and were a stubborn lot.
I went back to work after 4 weeks first one, second one 6 weeks. Time helped with second.
Get a small rolling pin roll on your leg muscles.
Enjoy pain free living, I hurt all the time prior to this.

Good Luck Reach out if you need support.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 09:47 AM

most people I know tell me they should have done it early ,they like there knew knees ,old framer down the road had both knees done at same time , one tuff guy
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 12:06 PM

I had a complete knee replacement on both knees. Feb and March they would not do both at the same time due to other health problems.
very low pain now just need to get stronger. Praying for your speedy complete recovery.

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 02:20 PM

WOW thanks to all for the encouragement and feed back on having it done
BEAR tracker thanks for the list of suggestions I am doing the exercises now but man they hurt.
what is the rolling pin for?

I appreciate all the prayers as I believe they do work!!!

I will update when I can
Tom

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 02:40 PM

Tom
The rolling pin helps the muscles relax, kind of kneading them like dough. One of my softball players found me one at a store that was contoured and really felt good. If nothing else it just felt good. It will hurt there is pain now, as well as during recovery, and for me the pain is gone. ( didn't realize how bad I was hurting all the time) I wear kneed pads for everything when kneeling now due to scars being sensitive.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 02:49 PM

Make sure you keep up with your re-hab, keep moving. Not moving is the worst thing you can do. Everything will go well, you will be a new person after words!! Keep us posted. PS stay off the skate boards, LOL.

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 02:52 PM

I see (rolling pin)

BEAR do the feel like your knees or mechanical so to speak

I've been told kneeling wont feel right from now on
Posted By: bblwi

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 05:12 PM

I had a hip replaced in July and am doing very well. Knees are tougher and slower. Just make sure you do all the exercises they suggest, pain aside. You need to get your range of motion back first and the strength will come, but if you don't get range of motion you won't ever get much strength back. I had a lot of pain spring and summer as there were other issues that did not allow surgery until later July. I felt sorry for myself for a couple weeks and then got back to reality and though I will give up 5-6 months of one year to hopefully get several for the future.
Take care and be careful and smart.

Bryce

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 06:16 PM

If am walking fast like in the hallways at school they click. Clicking is normal slow down they are good. I called my brother who had one done and said yep get used to it. My knees feel like my knees felt prior to degeneration due to multiple injuries. I played hard. LOL My knees feel normal, can't tell they are not originals except for fast walking, never run! And the scars which as I said are sensitive. Cold does not bother them. I kneel, walk, climb trees, cut trees down, I am active. Oh ask the doctor to be sure the legs are the same length! Mine were a little different had to get, my orthodic's adjusted. LOL
I still do everything I have ever done that I want to. No running I'm 6' 300#. Never liked running anyway. Hoping to moose hunt next fall in Alberta. OH yeah, I Forgot setting off metal detectors. I was in a federal building and could not figure out why I set it off. Officer had his hand by his gun, etc. then I was like oh yeah, Knee replacement!
Posted By: gcs

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 06:48 PM

Not exactly the same but I had both hips done at the same time about 18 months ago, the advice here is spot on, for any replacement surgery.
First find out what exercises PT wants you to do, then do them, as much in advance of your surgery as possible. They will get you on your feet right out of recovery, PT starts the next day, just do what they say. Take the pain pills as needed, I only took the hard stuff for two days, but then switched to Ibuprofen, yes its uncomfortable, yes the pain goes away. Make sure your house is set up as for a disability, hand rails in the bathroom, non skid mat in the shower,etc.
Do as your told, no driving, no work, you need time to recover, it's common, but serious surgery, there will also be meds, blood thinners to prevent clots, probably antibiotics besides the pain killers.

The initial healing goes fast, I was back working pulling conch pots in 6 weeks, but the healing goes on for months, as my doctor told me at 6 weeks, , "You can do pretty much anything, just try not to do anything too stupid"

Good luck...
Posted By: yooperfur

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/03/19 07:34 PM

Prayers sent to you and your family and surgery team.

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/04/19 02:04 PM

gcs I cant imagine pulling any kind of pot at 6 weeks but it makes me hopeful.

Yooper: thanks

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/04/19 10:03 PM

It don't pay to be stupid unless you can prove it once in awhile.... grin
Posted By: bass10

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/04/19 10:13 PM

Ok guys I have to ask as I need this done bad. Could you honestly go back to work light duty after about a week? I own my own business and 4-6 weeks would be a killer

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/06/19 02:06 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday inn express once, I think....

My opinion only....If you are in very good shape, there's no complications, and If your truely doing light duty, like desk work, probably not...., 0ne week would really be pushing it, maybe 2 weeks. Driving at 4 weeks is doable if you are very careful and off the pain killers, Surgeons usually have a follow up at 6 weeks and often will give the all clear for all but heavy work. I think 4 weeks would be best to wait.....

That said... I know one woman with both knees done, back behind her deli counter in 4 weeks, and one guy with both knees replaced ,walking out of the hospital and never did the PT and he's fine...but I think he was from Krypton..... grin
Posted By: Hern

Re: NEW KNEES - 10/20/19 07:26 PM

Best of Luck Monday, Trapper Tom
Keep us posted on your recovery.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums