Home

New to carbon arrows?

Posted By: Wright Brothers

New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 06:53 PM

Several have told me to update to carbon from aluminum.
I did. Now my practice points seem to make them front heavy.

Do carbon arrows of the proper spine shoot lighter tips than aluminum?
Carbon arrows are new to me. Can you tell? lol
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 07:06 PM

I went to carbons several years ago-I shoot cheap ones-it was not much of a change for me, everything was pretty much the same and they last longer for me.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 07:07 PM

I went to carbons several years ago-I shoot cheap ones-it was not much of a change for me, everything was pretty much the same and they last longer for me.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Several have told me to update to carbon from aluminum.
I did. Now my practice points seem to make them front heavy.

Do carbon arrows of the proper spine shoot lighter tips than aluminum?
Carbon arrows are new to me. Can you tell? lol

No,they are lighter,stiffer shafts,so they will be somewhat more front heavy.The important thing as in all arrows is to get them well tuned.

There isn't a thing wrong with aluminums.They will run straighter than all but the most expensive carbons.You may bend an occasional one but you will also probable break an occasional carbon.
Posted By: snowy

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 07:25 PM

^ this.
I have both and a few of each in my quiver now. I see real no difference when shooting as far as performance goes. But that is just me and have no science to go along with that.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/02/19 07:36 PM

The last several years advances in carbon fiber have advanced greatly for arrows and golf clubs. They've caught up to the metal shafts they replaced.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 01:07 AM

Wright,
Having an arrow with extra weight up front is good, called FOC (front of center). Without more weight in the front vs back half they won't fly well. Extra weight up front will also help penetration to a degree. I think recommended FOC weight minimum is about 15% of total arrow weight. More is ok.
I switched to carbon a couple years ago from aluminum. I used to shoot 2315's or 2317's. They both worked well but pretty much assured if the shoot wasn't a complete pass though you were going to get back a junked arrow. Not so much with the carbons.
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 01:19 AM

Yep..Carbon arrows can and are dangerous if you don't inspect them shot for shot..Each time I pull a shaft from a target I do a visual inspection and pull the arrow thru my hand trying to feel the slightest "Nic" in the shaft and look at the nocks..then I will flex the shaft by my ear and listen..A carbon arrow through you bow hand is a very very ugly wound to say the least..As far as weight forward goes I have added 30 grains of weight behind the insert to help with flight and impact..There are many archers that do this..Hope this helps
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 01:41 AM

Easton has a very useful arrow tuning guide. Google it.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 01:43 AM

Gold tip even writes on their shaft to flex before you shoot. If it's bad, you will know. You don't have to flex it by your ear though. Lol.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 01:50 AM

Love carbons. Match your field points to your broadheads and all will be well
Posted By: swift4me

Re: New to carbon arrows? - 10/03/19 05:24 AM

I switched to carbon a long time ago, and I guess I was lucky. I never had a problem with the switch. They did shoot flatter though. 100 grain field points and 100 grain 3 blade Muzzys. I'm not a competitive shooter, but they always worked for my turkey and pig hunting.

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums