Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 07:13 PM

Yup
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 07:19 PM

Oh yeah!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:00 PM

Our season down here in the southeast of PA opened three weeks ago.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:19 PM

they still taste as good as always?? grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:26 PM

Looks like it might be a nice frosty morning.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:35 PM

aint been very darn warm here today but if these clouds move out it'll freeze here tonight.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:40 PM

I hope we get frost. And the 9 point I been watching all Summer shows up.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
they still taste as good as always?? grin

LOL, I don't know, didn't kill any yet this season. I just got two venison roasts out of the freezer for tomorrow's stew (I make three gallons at a time) I did notice the roasts, venison/apple sausage patties and scrapple piles were looking considerably smaller than they were six months ago.

I'm starting an out-of-state job Monday, be gone a week-and-a-half. After that I might have to arrow one to replenish supplies.

I'll be up at camp in three weeks for the end of early muzzleloader, let me how how them Potter County deer are tasting this season. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:06 PM

i also removed my last rear quarter to smoke tomorrow,i need to replenish soon.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:13 PM

Coyote or doe, down they go! Bucks a plus. Got my eye on a few. One would make me one happy camper for a long time.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:16 PM

Our venison is gone pretty early every spring-Even when we had three teenage sons living here, and they always provides at least a couple. I'd like to get a doe or two early and find a big one sometime the last two weeks. Using a buck tag early in the season make the wait for next season even long.
Good luck to the guys going out. And ALWAYS WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS!!!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:25 PM

son's gotten his bow messed some how.he's gonna drive me nuts.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:39 PM

Wind not ideal for the stand i want to hunt in morning. It will suffice from one direction though. Trying a new location for the evening sit. Public land, so we'll see how crowded.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/04/19 10:41 PM

good luck Les,i'll be watchin the sewer plant from my side.good cover scent if the wind blows right. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 12:17 AM

All packed and ready to go

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 09:00 AM

Headed out shortly, having some coffee then gonna go hang out with some squirrels. Good luck and happy blood trails

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 09:24 AM

Heading out myself just filled the thermos. Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 09:42 AM

good luck folks,hard frost here.
Posted By: natfintaxi

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 09:49 AM

Shoot straight and true! Good luck to all!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 10:50 AM

Good luck all!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:01 AM

Go luck and be safe you PA guys. It's 42 here this morning, was hoping for a killin frost.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:26 AM

grounds white here,we got it for sure.just used it to follow the bear tracks around the yard to see what else he got into besides my archery targets that are in pieces and scattered about.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:43 AM

Had a small owl checking me out at about 5' at 6:15 , been quiet since.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:45 AM

stunning cloudless,27 degree mornin out.wish every mornin smelled like that.
Posted By: PaRay

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:48 AM

One spike, 20 yards away broadside about five minutes ago, breezy and frosty

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 01:08 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Have a little buddy hunting the same spot as well lol. Been trying to get a gray squirrel since day light. The deer are out in the field but moving into the woods line soon.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 01:36 PM

That's pretty cool.
Are those woods mowed? I don't often see wood so open with anything growing on ground.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 01:50 PM

Gryhkl, yes they are mowed. It's a ten acre piece I keep mowed down and have 3 others I keep mowed and cleaned up.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Gryhkl, yes they are mowed. It's a ten acre piece I keep mowed down and have 3 others I keep mowed and cleaned up.

Looks like a real nice place.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 05:10 PM

Wind direction ended up ok. Small spike is all i saw from stand. Had to leave early to make it to a memorial service. Unknown to me was a doe and two fawns 15 yards up the trail in thick brush. Took one step and off they went. Couple more minutes and they would have walked right by. I was on clock though. For the best because i wouldn't have wanted to miss that taking care of a deer.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 06:04 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got lucky this morning, really like it when the arrow Flys right through. Seen a spike that looked like it had several wounds on him, you can see them in the pic.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 06:35 PM

nice one

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 06:57 PM

Nice, way to go.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 07:11 PM

Good job guthooked, nice buck!!! I had coyotes howling at me when I was cleaning leaves off my stand when I climbed up, then took a doe at 830. Acorns sounding like bombs dropping. Was a great morning.

Guthooked, how much fat on that buck? My doe was loaded with fat, makes some great suet

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 07:26 PM

the only thing that died around here. [Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 07:28 PM

It had a good bit of fat.

Had a little owl eyeing me up b4 daylight today, I'd move a bit and it'll fly off and return, musta did that 10x. Glad it finally left it was only 5' or so from me a couple of times. I shined the light on it once and it was bobbing his head at me. Lol

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 07:50 PM

did it have eyes that looked bigger than silver dollars??

i'll get in the stand this evening,as much a fact finding mission as anything.i have never let myself get infatuated with one deer,but between the one i've been seeing and a couple doe tags.i'm after just one for a while.granted i'm 51 and he's as big as i've saw and close to home.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by gutthooked
It had a good bit of fat.

Had a little owl eyeing me up b4 daylight today, I'd move a bit and it'll fly off and return, musta did that 10x. Glad it finally left it was only 5' or so from me a couple of times. I shined the light on it once and it was bobbing his head at me. Lol

You were probably set up near it's bedroom.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:10 PM

Way to go coyotesoldier229.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:11 PM

You gonna finish butchering that buck?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

You gonna finish butchering that buck?

Looks like wanton waste? grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:19 PM

grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:23 PM

Thanks Lugnut, now I can focus on some antlers and muzzleloader bear.

PCR2, I used to have one of those targets and one year I had a yearling buck come in and whoop up on my target almost every night. I set up my trail cam and found out who the baddest 4 pt was on the hill.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:30 PM

did it have eyes that looked bigger than silver dollars??

i'll get in the stand this evening,as much a fact finding mission as anything.i have never let myself get infatuated with one deer,but between the one i've been seeing and a couple doe tags.i'm after just one for a while.granted i'm 51 and he's as big as i've saw and close to home.

It had big eyes especially when that lite lit up the owl.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 08:31 PM

this bear probably pushes 500 pounds,he has spent the last week rolling in a roadkill deer out in the cut cornfield.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/05/19 11:41 PM

Congrats to all that scored today. Saw 7 doe 2 buck 2 unknown and way to many squirrels to count. And this SOB was there this morning before me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pilgrim22

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/06/19 12:56 AM

I usually wait till the 20th to go out. Don’t know if it’d feel right to shoot a buck this early and wait till next year

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/06/19 10:35 AM

Nice buck Hornady. Hope ya get em. It looks like sawtooth oak leaves in your pic. I’m in Wyoming county as well, and if the acorns are as abundant where you are as they are at my place, oughta be a lot of critters eating good, just keep thinking it’s a sign of a winter we may not like.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/06/19 11:07 AM

Saw the alpha herd bull groundhog. The elusive trophy did not offer a shot.

Surprised the deer not working the chestnuts this season.
Obvious they are liking something better.
If you find a working pattern, stay on it cause it WILL change lol.

Nice one GH, good luck to all.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/06/19 03:54 PM

A little more to the story . I got a complete pass through the deer was about 25 yrds from me. Ran about 125yrds after I hit it. Decent blood trail for being a high hit. 137 lbs dressed 14" inside spread. Seen several other spikes and does yesterday. Was a great day to be out in the woods. I might of had this one on cam, I'll have to look through my old pictures. [Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/06/19 04:04 PM

i can't get used to askin the son what he saw and having him pull out a phne and show me.he saw 23 deer and watched 4 young bucks spar.he was happy,happy,happy and wasn't even dirty he said.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 12:17 AM

Managed to arrow a good mountain doe Saturday morning. Dressed weight was 104. Now I have more time to scout for our early bear seasons

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 12:20 AM

Way to go poconobear.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 12:13 PM

Was informed there is one at a processor with my name on it.
Karma coming back makes a guy have faith.

I'll have to learn how to cook these "factory" cut portions lol.
Happy.

I too used to take 2-3, now with less mouths to feed, extra goes to those no longer able.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 12:46 PM

Wish I was out today even if it's raining. Work sucks and I am stuck here for the next 8 days

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 02:05 PM

its a long season Hornady,still rainin pretty hard here but we really needed it.hould be a good afternoon sit after this moves out though.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 02:44 PM

I know but work is killing me. Might have to go to Missouri for 2 weeks during the rut here.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 06:10 PM

^^Shoot your buck before the rut, problem solved!!

Way to go poconobear, good size doe, she’ll eat good!

Ya, rain is a downer, but nothing like being in the right stand when the rain stops or the wind is changing direction. I hope to get out for an evening hunt later in the week. Until then, best of luck to you all.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 07:42 PM

I saw a few does and fawns Saturday. It's been raining all day so I'm getting a few chores done today.

My sister in law shot an small 8 point Saturday evening. She used a crossbow.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 07:58 PM

your not alone,i've been housewifin it all day while the wifes at work;

tried to pretend it wasn't raining to finish a firewood order but find you get just as wet as if you just admit its raining.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/07/19 08:09 PM

All I saw were squirrels Saturday morning

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/08/19 10:21 AM

so foggy here anything over a 10 yd pin aint doin ya any good this mornin.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/08/19 11:24 AM

Going after work today. The little one and eye went yesterday when the rain quit and watched the field 2 really nice 8 points got just shy of 100 yards to us so going to try again tonight.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/08/19 12:18 PM

about 30 min before quitting last night i showed my son a buck that has come out by the house 4 nights in a row like clockwork.he says he'll shoot him so i will put a ladderstand there for him to sit in tonight and if everything works like normal we'll never see it again. grin
Posted By: Hern

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 11:28 AM

A young friend near me, killed an 8 pointer Tuesday evening (Oct. 8th). First day he killed a Doe.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 03:02 PM

Took a doe yesterday morning. Venison in the freezer again!grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 05:17 PM

i need to get out
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 09:00 PM

Me too.just waiting for the cool down.lol

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 09:15 PM

Looking for antlers in the morning. Prefer they are on a big bodied beast, we’ll see what happens. And of course, any coyote within strike range of me and the DXT. 10 yrs old and still love it like the day I bought it. Best of luck to any who get out.
Posted By: Cope23

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/11/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PA.Trapper
Me too.just waiting for the cool down.lol

That's what im waiting for, not gunna burn myself out early like other years. Lack of acorns and sign makes it easy right now not to go out. The wifes on a doe mission tonight, so I will be waiting outdoor channel and waiting for a call..

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 02:54 PM

I had a morning that was very eventful, filled with critters and activity. I got to my stand about 550am, and as soon as I got on my stand, I could here a coyote bark, close to where I heard them howl at me last Saturday. It barked 3 more times and yipped and then quiet till daylight. Picked up movement around 7am in our old quarry that’s been back filled and is now brushing up. A larger doe, and she’s feeding away. 10 minutes later, there’s a different deer and I can tell it’s a buck, he feeds through the same are and away. He may have been a shooter for me but I can’t say for sure but looked have decent width. 5 minutes or less pass and there in the same are are two bear but they are headed my way. About the same time a small doe walks past me and catches their wind, so she keeps her head up and down is watching that way, she filters off to the left so I get my phone out hoping I can get some video of these bear. And they come my way. It’s only 715. Saw a spike around 915, and watched two small buck pass by me on the walk out around 10. I gutted a doe there last Saturday, that’s why they are tearin at the one spot. They hung out for another 5 minutes then worked off to the right. Great morning all in all.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:21 PM

Great report coyote soldier. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable morning. Them bear sure hung around long enough. I really enjoyed your report and those of some of the posters above. I will have to hunt vicariously through you guys for now as I am stuck in New Jersey on a job.

Maybe I can turn my scaffolding into a deer stand?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:30 PM

Lug is the stage yours? Chaa-ch-ching.
I once went nine high, I was younger.
Bring a few of those and you can hunt my place lol.
Need to do a chimney liner.
Probably five high, getting sky helpers is like pulling teeth.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:47 PM

Yeah, that's all mine. That's all of it too, fourteen sets, I'm fully deployed on this job. LOL

When I was younger and worked for a masonry contractor we did a lot of chimneys...I've been nine and ten high. I try to stay away from that anymore...

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:50 PM

i get nervous peein off the deck,that'd be a no go for sure for me.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:54 PM

X2! After that first level I'm pretty sure if anyone was around they'd hear grown man girly screams. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 04:59 PM

I had to deploy the side arms on this one. Had to set up the towers three feet away from the house to get by that bump out and then hook the side arms to the front to extend the work area toward the house. Might need to stand on a short ladder to reach the peak when I go back Monday.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, back to deer hunting.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

X2! After that first level I'm pretty sure if anyone was around they'd hear grown man girly screams. grin

There’s always a need for good ground support. My ground guy on this one won’t go much over ten feet either.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 05:19 PM

Out riggers, nice.
If you were the only guy up there setting, I am impressed.

With this new info, I can't afford to have you hunt from my chimney haha.
I borrowed extra, will likely go two wide since I turned sissy lol.

If any of you manly men feel like "getting higher" stop on over.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 05:23 PM

Lugnut, besides Saturday mornings I’m pretty busy. Looking forward to muzzleloader next weekend, bear tag in hand, excited, but prob won’t see another bear, ha. That’s up there good, and a good amount of scaffold. Heights don’t bother me too bad but the 60 ft genie boom is plenty high enough for me. As for setting up and taking down scaffold......

Wright, you’re spot on, not many people wanna get off the ground and work. Or on the ground whistle

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Out riggers, nice.
If you were the only guy up there setting, I am impressed.

With this new info, I can't afford to have you hunt from my chimney haha.
I borrowed extra, will likely go two wide since I turned sissy lol.

If any of you manly men feel like "getting higher" stop on over.

Yep, just me and a ground guy from PA. Couldn't talk anybody else into staying out of state for a week or so. I have a regular helper in this neighborhood but he wussed out.

I ain't afraid to tell you that, at 61, my arms and shoulders are not happy the mornings after yanking all them bucks, braces and planks up there.

Dang man, I was looking forward to your chimney stand! grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 08:50 PM

coyotesoldier229, enjoyed your Bear video.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 09:51 PM

Thanks Hern, made my day. Having two bears at 25-30 yards and the wind in my face, good stuff.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/12/19 11:15 PM

Too bad you're not in WMUs 2B, 5C or 5D. they'd have been legal game with a bear tag.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 12:23 AM

Nice video coyotesoldier. Hope to be able to get out Tuesday.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 01:07 AM

Yeah I’m in 3C but I’m excited about using the muzzleloader next weekend and having standing corn on the neighbor and one other farm I can hunt, I’m hoping I can run into those two boo boos again or another. Had a few bears on cam over the summer. We’ll see what happens.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 01:31 AM

Good luck!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 10:54 AM

Buck down in 1B. Earliest one for me. Still a doe or two to shoot, but going to really concentrate on getting a bear. Feels good to have that out of the way this early. Now to get it in the freezer.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 11:06 AM

come on les,no holdin out,wheres the pic? grin

any doe tags for here??

and congratulations by the way.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 11:12 AM

Shot a nice doe, have a couple bucks hanging around. I’m going to go after steelhead and work on trapping equipment for a couple weeks, then go after the bucks once early muzzleloader is over with

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 11:48 AM

Congrats Claypool and PaRay.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 11:49 AM

Way to go Claypool and PARay-congrats on the buck and doe respectively.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 12:48 PM

One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics. This buck wasnt too impressive. Nice frame and mass for a 2.5 yo, but no width. Dressed nice. 137lbs. I do have a 3a doe tag. Coming home next week for doe/bear muzz.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 08:01 PM

Alright. Let's see if this works. [Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 08:07 PM

very nice,i'll keep my eyes open for bear sign but they have been awol here all summer.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/13/19 10:10 PM

Nice buck. Congrats

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/16/19 11:33 PM

Well did anyone get to hunt in the rain today? I prob won’t get out till Saturday unless I can get out of work early tomorrow or Friday. Best of luck to any that make it out

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/16/19 11:45 PM

Nothing yet and won't get out till Saturday afternoon after a Duck Hunt.
Posted By: BW55

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/17/19 12:02 AM

NW wind,40's for a high for tomorrow-if it's not pouring,I'll be in the orchard edge tomorrow night where I passed up a 7 point last year

Attached picture 1014191020-00.jpg

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 08:34 AM

Got out of work early enough to do an evening sit last night at the neighbors, wanted to hunt the point of an oak flat between a green and corn field. Saw a few deer, and watched one nice buck beat up a younger buck, then make 3 scrapes on his way to corn. Got dark before he made it past me, had to listen to his rack raking brush and branches making the scrapes. My focus is shifted to muzzleloader bear this morning though. Taking the bow in case I get a decent buck in range but hoping I can run into a Bruin two Saturday’s in a row. Good luck out there
Posted By: washxc

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 12:58 PM

Coyote soldier, if you happen to shoot a bear or see a warden, don't mention having your bow.. regs are confusing this year, but you're allowed to carry a muzzleloader and a bow if you're only hunting deer. But, you can't have your bow with you if you're hunting bear with your flintlock because bear archery is not in. At least here in my neck of the woods. leave it to the pgc to make regs as clear as mud.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 04:55 PM

It’s funny you mention that, when my buddy and his son got to my house this morning, he told me that so I left the bow home. PGC has some funky rules. Thanks again for letting me know about that. I did a push for him and his son at 1130 and shot a doe with the muzzleloader, no bear sightings but we all saw buck, one real nice one they both saw. turkeys, and they saw a coyote. It was a good morning by all.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 11:22 PM

son shot a 8-point tonight.first deer with a bow.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 11:28 PM

Nice!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/19/19 11:38 PM

[Linked Image]

There were five doe bedded in the field in the upper right hand corner. 30 minutes after getting on my stand they got up one at a time and walked into the woods. 30 minutes later a doe came out of the woods and I watched her feed all the way across the field to that low-cut area right in front of my stand. It took her 45 minutes.

As she's about to walk broadside in front of me I hear another deer coming out of the woods on the trail that runs right underneath my stand. The first doe finally got broadside in front of me at 30 yards. I squeezed a shot off and she went down and was flopping around.

I thought, "Cool, a doe for the freezer.

Then she got up and started running across the field. After about 100 yards she slowed down and went down again.

I thought, "Cool, a doe for the freezer.

I reloaded, marked her position, climbed down and started out toward her.

When I got within 50 yards I saw her lift her head up. Nothing I could do but get ready to shoot if she bolted. She did, I shot, and I missed.

Wanna buy a flinter....cheap. LOL

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 12:24 AM

Congrats to the son PCR2.

Lugnut, if I could count how many times I say I’m gonna sell my flintlock, it would probably equal the amount of times I’ve used it. I was using an in-line today, love it.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 12:45 AM

Some folk's interpretation of "Pa.Archers" seems to be pretty broad, but given the propensity meat greediness among folks from that otherwise great State, I am not surprised. smile
BTW, I'll bet that doe was hit high and caused temporary paralysis of the spine. I have lost more than one that way, after of course, giving myself high fives and whoops and hollers.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Some folk's interpretation of "Pa.Archers" seems to be pretty broad, but given the propensity meat greediness among folks from that otherwise great State, I am not surprised. smile
BTW, I'll bet that doe was hit high and caused temporary paralysis of the spine. I have lost more than one that way, after of course, giving myself high fives and whoops and hollers.

Pennsylvania's early muzzleloader season for bear and antlerless deer opened today. A legal animal I was specifically hunting presented an excellent shot and I took it. How do you equate that with "meat greediness"?

As far as your complaint about me posting a muzzleloading hunt on a "Pa.Archers" thread, how about we let the OP decide if it's too far off topic for his thread? What do you think Mark, should I delete my post?

The deer wasn't hit high, I shot low. There were two small clumps of white hair where I hit her, no blood.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:11 AM

one in every crowd Doug.

population is back to dangerously high numbers here which is scarin me with disease rampant throughout the country.

i like deer meat

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:18 AM

[Linked Image]
little story-it went by me and i thought-wonder if its big enough for his first with a bow-whack-yup.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:23 AM

one in every crowd Doug.

population is back to dangerously high numbers here which is scarin me with disease rampant throughout the country.

i like deer meat

I only have one WMU 3A tag but I guess I'll get greedy again and try to fill it when I'm up there the end of next week. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:24 AM

[Linked Image]
little story-it went by me and i thought-wonder if its big enough for his first with a bow-whack-yup.

That's a nice deer, quite suitable for your son's first archery kill! grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:33 AM

he had one a little bigger than that he couldn't get a shot at 10 min. before that one got there.then when they went back to gut and drag it,the big 10 we are hunting and have a shed from was in the field and wouldn't leave.
throw 30 doe in a field right now and it can get fun.

welcome to fill that tag here ifn ya want for sure,you too les or anyone with a 3a tag.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:35 AM

also i have to get past my fear of chasing the huge buck down back out.he stays in the town side of the river in tight quarters.guess its why he's the biggest deer i've ever saw.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 12:51 PM

Nice pic. Always remember your first with the bow.
I will be practicing shooting my bow later, as I do as much as I can through out the entire year. Thinking about getting a recurve and hunting with that.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 01:00 PM

Congrats to your son, pcr2. That's a fine buck. Good to see another generation ready to fill in the holes left when older hunters give it up. Does he trap too?

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 01:07 PM

he's 20 and kinda into the girls a little but can probably trap and put up fur with the best of them.he just got sent on the road to work in Albany NY so wasn't sure how much pa hunting he;ll get.his whole crew has ny liscenses and have some good hunting where they are working i guess.plus we have 600 acres to hunt in ny 2 miles from my house.guys a grump unless you spent your whole life in the valley with him and trap his coyotes so they leave his horses alone.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 01:14 PM

My granddaughter and I went out this morning to where I hit the doe last night. Here is some hair from where I hit her, there was no blood at all.

[Linked Image]

We couldn’t find where she went down in the field, it was like finding a needle in a haystack with no blood trail to follow. We went into the woods the same place she entered and followed a heavily used trail up the side of the hill. About 300 yards from where I took the shot I found this.

[Linked Image]

A short while later we jumped a doe out of her bed. No blood in the bed and it was running just fine, I have no way of knowing if it was the one I shot at or not. We did a grid search on the hillside and looked in all the heavy cover to make sure there was no dead deer laying there.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 02:07 PM

Pcr2 I live about a hour and half from Albany. I hunt southern Zone NY in Cambridge. Public land because non of the farm landowners I have asked will let me hunt. I even offer to trap. One told me ok to turkey hunting and I have plus they like deer meat. I brought them some deer and bear meat they loved it. Maybe sometime I will be allowed to deer hunt there but I’m great full for what they allow.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 02:22 PM

Carl's reply was not on topic. Just joking.

My one Brother was heavy into killing deer with bow.
ONE, of the laws that torqued me was no dog to track hit deer.
We all been there, what was it that Josey Wales said?

Good reading guys.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 03:19 PM

Congrats to your son pcr. Went Duck hunting in the morning then in the afternoon went out with the crossbow. Ran into a giant on the way to my stand. Biggest buck I have ever seen on thismountain. Could not get a shoot. Saw nothing in stand.Can only hunt Thursday and Friday this coming week. Then of th Missouri for 2 weeks. Part that sucks is it for work.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/20/19 11:06 PM

My granddaughter and I went out this morning to where I hit the doe last night. Here is some hair from where I hit her, there was no blood at all.

[Linked Image]

We couldn’t find where she went down in the field, it was like finding a needle in a haystack with no blood trail to follow. We went into the woods the same place she entered and followed a heavily used trail up the side of the hill. About 300 yards from where I took the shot I found this.

[Linked Image]

A short while later we jumped a doe out of her bed. No blood in the bed and it was running just fine, I have no way of knowing if it was the one I shot at or not. We did a grid search on the hillside and looked in all the heavy cover to make sure there was no dead deer laying there.

Just poking a little fun, Lugnut No offense intended.
In your opinion, is that back hair in your pic? If so, it takes a long time for blood to make it to the ground when hit high, explaining why blood sign was scarce. When you mentioned earlier about it going down after the shot and then eventually running just fine is what they do when their spine is concussed. That doe may heal up just fine, or a coyote will eat it. Given your overpopulation of does, either would be just fine. At least it wasn't that giant buck which keeps you up at night. I am still haunted by a few of those getting away.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 12:30 AM

Sorry if I took it the wrong way 52Carl, you Virginny guys must have an odd sense of humor. grin

Yeah, after checking again this morning I do believe it might be back hair, not the white belly hair I originally thought in last night's low light. I think you might be right about the shot creasing the spine, makes sense the way she reacted. No doubt I missed some blood spots in the tall grass of the field, I was lucky to find that one 300 yards from where I hit her.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 12:39 AM

It’s just hard for me to believe that I hit that high at that range. I just sighted the flinter in before the hunt yesterday. While it’s certainly no tack-driver, it is completely capable of putting one in a deer’s boiler room out to 75 yards or so.

It must’ve been the nut behind the butt plate was loose...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 12:58 AM

im going to try for a PA. bear with a bow next year. really looking forward to it

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 10:12 AM

It’s just hard for me to believe that I hit that high at that range. I just sighted the flinter in before the hunt yesterday. While it’s certainly no tack-driver, it is completely capable of putting one in a deer’s boiler room out to 75 yards or so.

[Linked Image]

And you hammered me for scoping a lever. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 10:33 AM

70 and sunny has me makin plans to be in my kayak for a couple hours this afternoon.not often the weather and river conditions are perfect this time of year.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
im going to try for a PA. bear with a bow next year. really looking forward to it

do you know where abouts??

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 10:52 AM

well,as day break approaches i see a bear has removed everything from my deck,ate a tray of maters and ripped my 3d target apart.i will see what the sign in the frost/dew says about it.been hearing that my neighbors over in town been dealin with a big un.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22

[Linked Image]

And you hammered me for scoping a lever. grin

Well I sure as heck ain't scoping my flinter! That would be sacrilegious! And it would look silly too... grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 11:11 AM

Lol, That truly would be! Can ya try some different loads, lubes or something to dial her in more? Back in the day I had a Hawken that shot well but then I tried a dry pillow ticking patch and holy cow, it became a tack driver.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 11:19 AM

That's what yesterday's session was about. I wanted to go up in patch thickness from .010 to .015 and drop down 10 g's of powder. Worked great in a clean barrel but no way the ball was going the barrel after only one shot's worth of fouling. I actually had to get the ball-puller out after I foolishly tried forcing it partway in.

The real issue is the sucky triggers on this gun way too light with the set trigger and way too heavy without it. They are adjustable but it doesn't help.

The biggest issue might be the old eyes of the shooter...

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 11:39 AM

That's what yesterday's session was about. I wanted to go up in patch thickness from .010 to .015 and drop down 10 g's of powder. Worked great in a clean barrel but no way the ball was going the barrel after only one shot's worth of fouling. I actually had to get the ball-puller out after I foolishly tried forcing it partway in.

The real issue is the sucky triggers on this gun way too light with the set trigger and way too heavy without it. They are adjustable but it doesn't help.

The biggest issue might be the old eyes of the shooter...

Truthfully, that's why I scoped the lever. I hope you can find the sweet spot with her!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 11:59 AM

i'd like to have had 10 more min of daylight to see just what the deer that went across the backyard was.probably what took out my 3d target as i see no bear sign and oodles a deer sign.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/21/19 01:13 PM

Tell him i said congrats Mark.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 04:44 PM

Cleaning the flintlock after hunting in the rain last evening. No deer or bear were harmed. Since the early muzzleloader season ended yesterday I guess we can mark 52Carl safe from seeing any more muzzleloader posts on PCR‘s archery thread. At least until after Christmas. grin

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 10:31 PM

Cleaning the flintlock after hunting in the rain last evening. No deer or bear were harmed. Since the early muzzleloader season ended yesterday I guess we can mark 52Carl safe from seeing any more muzzleloader posts on PCR‘s archery thread. At least until after Christmas. grin

[Linked Image]

Well, I just got done looking at your target, Mr. Lugnut, and I am now perfectly fine with whatever you do or say on any thread. (I hope that it is OK if I call you "Mr. Lugnut".)
r.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 10:43 PM

I know, with shooting like that it makes you wonder how I missed right? If a barn ever walks by me and turns broadside… Look out!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 10:50 PM

I don't think that target was shot with Lug's ML lol. He done went and played his hand on that one. Nice pic lug, your living a good life over there!

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 10:54 PM

I’m at my camp. That’s why I can get away with cleaning my muzzleloader at the table. No wife around to tell me I can’t. LOL

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 10:57 PM

I’m at my camp. That’s why I can get away with cleaning my muzzleloader at the table. No wife around to tell me I can’t. LOL

Lol, I remember getting runnoft for doing that using No. 13.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 11:16 PM

And I should add, how dare you post ML post on a archery thread, shame for shame. grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/27/19 11:22 PM

grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/29/19 10:44 AM

Nephew stuck an 8 point
[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/29/19 11:21 AM

Nice!
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/29/19 11:33 AM

Very nice! Congrats to him
Posted By: Pilgrim22

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/29/19 08:22 PM

With the cold front coming, Saturday should jumpstart the rut. Just seen a nice buck chasing a doe on my way home from work

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/29/19 10:28 PM

Congrats to the nephew, Hern. Nice buck.

I’ve been seeing quite a few buck hit in the last week, this morning I saw a 16” or so buck hit along the road on my way in to work this morning.

Probably get out with the bow Friday night and Saturday. I spent almost every night last week bear hunting with muzzleloader to no avail, saw a good amount of deer other than one night. Lots of does. Finally got a real nice 8 on trail cam during daylight, probably only 3 but I’ll stick him if I see him.

Good luck to all

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/30/19 11:51 AM

I saw an eight-point buck chasing a doe yesterday morning on my way to hunt pheasants. So I spent a couple hours watching over some heavily used deer trails this evening. Didn’t see any deer though.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/30/19 01:12 PM

sat. i saw 2 pheasants-both males-sittin 20 ft from your truck.had to run to coudy and took that route.

Re: Pa.Archers - 10/30/19 02:19 PM

sat. i saw 2 pheasants-both males-sittin 20 ft from your truck.had to run to coudy and took that route.

I limited out Saturday and Monday, three (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) birds and a hen. I only got one yesterday morning, the dog put up three nice roosters, three Woodcock and a grouse. I missed two of the roosters, my bad. And didn’t have shooting at the Woodcock or grouse. So it’s not Boomer’s fault I didn’t limit yesterday.

I was going to get a hold of you to see if you wanted to hunt this morning but it looks like this is my only window of opportunity to get a bunch of camp chores done with the rain coming.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/04/19 04:25 PM

I punched my tag Friday afternoon on a good buck. I was stalking along a bedding area when I heard a chase in the brush, a few minutes later a doe with a hog of a buck broke out of the brush. The doe and the first buck never stopped. But unfortunate for this buck, he come out of the brush and stopped at 15 yards, looking my way, I touched the trigger on the xbow and hit where I was aiming, left of the brisket and lodged in the pelvic bone.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/04/19 04:56 PM

Punched my tag today.

A little back story first. I cut down a bunch of ash trees yesterday around 1000. I left my saw and gear there figuring I would be back with the tractor to drag them up and limb them before dragging back to the house. I never got to that part as the kids found their way home around noon and we started doing other things. Personally I would rather spend time with my kids than trees. Any way, I needed to get the saw and gear. My 6 year old daughter wanted to go for a gator ride. On our way (~1530) we had a 8 point run out in front of us and stop about 40-50 yards to the right of the trail. That was cool. On our way back he was still in the same area. He didn't pay much mind to us. That sent a flag up for this guy since I have been seeing bucks chasing does for a week now.

Now, onto the hunt. I couldn't hunt in the morning as I had to take the kids to the bus stop. When I got back I got my stuff ready, got my scent free shower, got all dressed up in my scent free clothes and headed to my stand at ~0840. I didn't make it 100yards from the house when I heard something in the woods to my right. I figured it was probably squirrels but figured I would wait just to see. Then I heard a deer to my left. I knelt down on one knee. Sure enough an 8 point started walking up. He ended up seeing me but kept walking. He did the head up and down thing several times. He walked to the right behind a hickory tree. I drew back. He emerged from the other side at 15 yards. He was mostly facing me. I hit him just above the sternum. Destroyed his left lung. He he went about 60 yards and piled up. I gave him an hour before looking but he was dead before I left the area.

To summarize, I wasn't out for more than 10 minutes, I didn't even get to my tree stand and he died right next to a trail that I could get to with the gator. Got to be the easiest deer I have ever gotten.

I do not have a cell phone and I do not know where the camera is so I can not post a pic. Not sure I would as the last couple pics I saw are way bigger than mine (I didn't look at the other 7 pages). But I am happy with it. Now I can focus on the kids. And getting firewood lol.

Congrats to the rest of you successful hunters!

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/04/19 11:00 PM

Congrats Wetdog and Jerry jr. Way to go!

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/05/19 01:28 AM

[Linked Image]
Here's a pic of one of the ones I'm after.this was Saturday morning and I am in my stand Right to his right. Couldn't get a shot had to let him walk. He had an 8 point with him also. I've been passing up some decent bucks hunting this one and an 8 almost identical to him. I am fortunate enough to have these last 2 weeks off and will be hitting it hard everyday all day. I switched stands 3 times Saturday and saw him 4 different times and never could get a shot but I am very patient and we'll see how this chess match works out. Hopefully it will end with him or his twin getting a free ride in my truck. Good luck to all. BTW he is a 7 point, hard to see G-3 on left in the pic. [Linked Image]
Here's a pic of the 8 also

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/07/19 11:56 PM

The bucks around here are starting to get stupid, had a 6 point go across the road in front of my truck earlier went up over a small bank and went out a cut cornfield and just stood there looking around. Man was his neck ever swelled! But 25 miles away at the tiny cabin I checked a trail cam today and there were 4 different shooter bucks on there running a trail in the wee hours of the morning and late in the evening. Hopefully this week things will pick up!

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 12:40 AM

[Linked Image]
Finally tagged one Tuesday morning.big deer. Been hunting doe ever since and can't keep the bucks away from me. The 8 point I posted up above walked directly under me yesterday at 5:00. Still seems a little slow around here as far as rut activity goes.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 12:55 AM

Congrats wetdog, Jerry Jr. and PA Trapper. Nice bucks, good stories.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 09:16 AM

Nice buck Pa trapper, congrats!! I finally got some time off from now till Tuesday so finishing my second cup of coffee and heading out. I’ve got a few nice bucks on cam throughout the year that I wouldn’t mind seeing this morning. And bears still in, so ya never know. Good luck everyone and congrats to all you successful archers.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 02:41 PM

Thank you Lugnut and coyotesoldier. Good luck to you. I still can't get a good doe in range. Can't keep the bucks from walking under me. I'm loving seeing them but would really like to get my doe tags filled so I can switch to trapping. Have only seen a coyote and a button buck so far today.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 03:17 PM

Congrats ! Those deer look familiar , lol
Your tags for A or B ?

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 03:28 PM

I'm having a rough archery season, lots of small bucks and very little rutting action. Too many standing cornfields around me I guess is keeping the deer spread out?

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 05:33 PM

Saw 2 doe and two fawns this morning, 20 yds. When they got about 50 yds past they caught my wind and got out of town. Winds swirling here bad, I got out of stand, checked some traps, and just had some lunch. Winds still blowing pretty good and swirling here still. Don’t know if I’ll go out this afternoon unless it dies down.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/08/19 08:17 PM

Killed a 7 point this morning. Hunted every day but two this season. Saw a lot of deer....I’m leaving tomorrow to hunt moose, so my season was ending today.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/09/19 01:57 AM

Congrats Bigbrownie!

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Art S
Congrats ! Those deer look familiar , lol
Your tags for A or B ?

1-B.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 12:36 AM

Killed a 8 point saturday

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 01:36 AM

A friend I was hunting with this morning grunted this 8 point in

Attached picture 786B703A-F0B7-4DB0-AC67-C4776164F24A.jpeg

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 02:45 PM

Congrats brownie, kevin and to your buddy grayfox, good job.

I had a long day yesterday, saw a small 6 pt at 1150, nothing else all day, then 15 minutes before dark, all kinds of commotion in the hemlocks in front of me, figured it was a buck pushing a doe, never came into view and heard them go. Spooked two deer out of the field on my way back to the house, could see them good in the moonlight, one appeared to be a buck. Should’ve stayed at the house, lol. Tomorrow’s another day. My plan is to go sit in one of my favorite stands all day. Either I shoot a nice buck, or I don’t. Not sure if I’ll get out again after work this week so I’ll spend Veterans Day thinking about all my friends and family, and other families that have served or given their lives, and maybe connect on a nice buck. To all you Vets out there, thank you and god bless. Sorry if I’m off track from archery PCR2 smile

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by coyotesoldier229
. Sorry if I’m off track from archery PCR2 smile

Don't let Carl52 find out! grin

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 02:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 03:08 PM

Congrats to all the successful archers above!

Last evening I sat out for only the sixth time this season, busiest year I've ever had at work keeping me out of the woods!

Was on stand by 2:30 and soon after three doe walked across the field I watch. I figure another hunter pushed them off the wooded hillside above while walking to his stand. they were in no hurry and came within fifty yards. I watched them slowly feed their way down the field and walk less than five feet behind a ground blind I have down there.

A short while later a red fox walked out of the woods about twenty yards west of my stand. I watched him mouse for about thirty minutes. A few times he pricked up his ears and did the high leap thing in the tall grass. I'm not sure if he caught anything or not. I lip-squeaked to him a few times, he heard me and looked my way but continued mousing away from me.

About thirty minutes before quitting time I heard a deer in the woods on the trail that enters the field ten feet west of my stand. It was a buck with about nine-inch spikes. He was on a mission and wasted no time trotting across the field and up into the woods on the other side.

I sat until quitting time without seeing anymore deer but did see an awesome sunset.

I would have liked to harvest one last evening, temps look great for leaving one hang the rest of the week. But, it was an enjoyable hunt even though I didn't fill a tag.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 05:00 PM

Nice doe Pcr, she’ll eat good!

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 05:46 PM

I had one of the best archery hunts of my life yesterday. I was finally able to hunt my favorite stand that I've been blocked out of due to high water all rut. I went in kinda late due to being cold. I wanted to be able to sit as long as possible. Since I have to carry my boots in, feet get cold fast. Well as I was getting settled, 4 does came up behind me at the river crossing and spooked. Bad timing on my part. Probably didn't matter since they would have crossed directly down wind of me. Used my buck tag so today was about watching the rut and maybe sneak a shot at a doe (but probably just watch). Sat until 12:15 as the action kept me warm. In total, 14 different deer with some repeaters. Watched 2 different bucks make scrapes and one of those also make a rub. 3 of the 6 bucks were shooters although I would have only had a shot at one. Even saw a fisher cross the woods in front of me. Here are some pics. In the buck pic you can see my feet at the top. He gave several very easy 15 - 20 yard shots. Hard to see in pic but he has two prominent right brow tines. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 06:29 PM

Great hunt Claypool, thanks for sharing.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/10/19 06:33 PM

I should also add that the main reasons this hunt was so special was the tranquility offered by the location and cold morning. No dip stick cousins hounding me. No dumb butt uncles taking dog for walk under my treestand. No highway noise or dogs barking. Just the sound of water pouring over the beaverdam behind me and leaves rattling in the wind.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/11/19 11:04 PM

I got done digging a footing early this afternoon so rushed home and headed for my stand. Had three doe come in, mama and two yearlings. Unfortunately the wind was from the south today which is kind of rare here. It wouldn’t of mattered if they’d have came their usual direction but they came the opposite way and wiffed me. One yearling was standing broadside at 30 yards, the mama was behind her with some branches blocking the shot. Another 10 feet and I might have had some meat to fill the freezer. Another doe came out of the woods and they all got antsy and took off up across the field.

Saw the same buck with 9 inch spikes as I did on Saturday.

Also saw the same red fox. At one point he was within 10 yards. Watched him mousing for about 20 minutes.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/11/19 11:08 PM

I didn’t get to go today was sick but I’m feeling better now I’ll hunt in the morning and probably the rest of the week then it’s predator hunting until rifle season.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/12/19 02:27 AM

I got done digging a footing early this afternoon so rushed home and headed for my stand. Had three doe come in, mama and two yearlings. Unfortunately the wind was from the south today which is kind of rare here. It wouldn’t of mattered if they’d have came their usual direction but they came the opposite way and wiffed me. One yearling was standing broadside at 30 yards, the mama was behind her with some branches blocking the shot. Another 10 feet and I might have had some meat to fill the freezer. Another doe came out of the woods and they all got antsy and took off up across the field.

Saw the same buck with 9 inch spikes as I did on Saturday.

Also saw the same red fox. At one point he was within 10 yards. Watched him mousing for about 20 minutes.

[Linked Image]

THAT is what I call a fully successful hunt. That is exactly why the activity isn't called "killing".

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/12/19 12:03 PM

Good morning to be out . Fresh snow on the ground.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/12/19 12:05 PM

its 17 here and i'm a wimp.one wouldn't wanna come too close to the back window on the shop though. wink

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/15/19 01:21 AM

Tonight I watched a four-point run off a spike then shadow a doe for twenty minutes before he really started chasing her. She did a figure-eight lap around the field at run then before he chased her into the woods.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/15/19 01:34 AM

Saw 5 doe and 8 buck today. Only thing in range was a 3 pointer. Saw my target buck for a whole 2 seconds. Back at it in the am until I meet my buddy for a Pheasant hunt. Good luck all.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/15/19 02:35 AM

Saw over 30 today. A couple decent bucks cruising. Finally got to full draw on a big fat doe at 4:00. She needed to take one more step to be in my opening at 20 yds. And she would've been standing exactly where the doe I got Friday was but she heard more deer coming from her right so she went over to them and they worked out into the field away from me.I shot my big 8 last Tuesday and my doe last Friday and I have been hunting my butt off the last week (on vacation) and can't get a big fat doe in close enough. Plenty of big bucks walking by and small doe and button bucks but I'm holding out for a big fat one. But it has been alot of fun especially the days my son gets off work in time to get in the woods with me. Good luck to all and be safe.

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/15/19 10:43 PM

I watched seven doe feed their way across the field tonight, three adults and four yearlings. At one point they were all feeding in a small food plot within 30 yards of my ground blind 100 yards down the edge of the field. How much you wanna bet if I sit there tomorrow night they won’t show up? LOL

I did get to see another pretty cool sunset. The night before was much better but I couldn’t take pics because there were deer within 50 yards of me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Pa.Archers - 11/15/19 11:11 PM

Nice view there Lug. I bumped 3 out on the way to the stand tonight and those were the last I saw for the evening.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums