Home

Long distance am radios ?

Posted By: Marty B

Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:02 AM

Is anyone on here into that stuff?

Can you reccomend one that actually works like advertised.

You read about cc/c crane and two or three others.

I need a new radio for my garage.

Thanks
Marty
Posted By: Osky

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:06 AM

I have a Grundig. It seams to work very well up here, better than any I've had but other than that I'm not sure how to measure it?

Osky
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:11 AM

Can you tune in the overnight nut jobs, from clear across the country?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:12 AM

The guys I hunt with that run coyote hounds use Baufang[ spelling] .

They so far have worked very well!.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:14 AM

Marty yes, also shortband.
Bucks are those guys using am? I thought they were marine band?

Osky
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 02:21 AM

I bought a cc/crane 159$? Bought it so I could get weather reports in my wall tent in the winter while trapping middle of nowhere for heads up on any blizzards headed my way. So far I haven’t been disappointed been able to get two or three AM and 1 or 2 FM every where I’ve gone. Plug in or D cell batteries. Definitely not a stereo but it does kinda knock the tinnitus down. Glad I bought it and would buy again if I had it to do over.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 03:12 AM

Whatever AM radio you use you may find the signal comes in better when you put your hand on the antenna wire. If so, try using a jug of water instead of your hand.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 10:28 AM

Dad and I got baofeng uv82hp. Got a longer antenna than what came with it. Can load around100 channels in it. I loaded all the FRS, GSMR, MARINE BANDS, WEATHER, and a few more. The big is just learning the radio capabilities.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 10:48 AM

You can improve any receiver with a good antenna. Could just be a long wire or you could make a loop. Both cheap and easy.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 11:10 AM

I use a talk radio app for on my phone or IPad and there’s a lot of am stations you can listen to clear on there. We had one when I was a kid and I could listen to far away stations and even foreign countries. I couldn’t find one close to that.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 11:44 AM

Hook a snare or cable xtension to antenna.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B
Is anyone on here into that stuff?

Can you reccomend one that actually works like advertised.

You read about cc/c crane and two or three others.

I need a new radio for my garage.

Thanks
Marty

Do a search on AM Loop Antennas. I made one for my radio in the garage, it has improved reception quite a bit. Just an option...
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 01:06 PM

When I was a kid I had an antenna made from two wire coat hangers. Just pulled them up so had simple square twisted the hanger ends together so had a basically a wire box.. had that mounted outside the window to my bed room got stations from all over US and Canada.. Got to be a ton of simple antennas out there guy can buy off the net.. This simple set up of mine was just to receive. I would think you'd need different if looking to transmit too..

Mac
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Long distance am radios ? - 10/06/19 01:49 PM

The ccrane and grundig both come with external ground and antenna terminals. What I use at the trapline and fish camp. Long wire antenna works well
© 2024 Trapperman Forums